PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you want right now at pick #21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking maybe Derek Hagan out've Arizona State. We could use a WR.

Bump, since ppl are creating new posts on the same topic.

I want whoever the Patriot's front office wants. It doesn't matter what player I choose here,they will pick differently and I will not agree with the pick. And ofcourse I will look like the idiot by not agreeing with their pick.

Matter of fact,the only pick Pioli and I have ever agreed upon was Vince Wilfork. I'm sure by the 5th week of the 06 season I will agree with all the names Pioli picked.

Oh well,here it goes,if he's there I would go with White at rb or that safety from Texas.

In the second I'm gonna go with Bill's Fresno State connection ang go with Richard Marshall at CB. A little high but the drop off is considerable after him.

Safety, cornerback, LB work for me in round one. If Hawk or White could be had by moving up 8-10 spots Id love it. Either one is a first-year impact player IMO.

But the kid Im most excited about long term is that freshman RB at West Virginia Steve Slaton.

Thank God for the Draft!!!

I'd lose my mind if I had to think about that Denver game for another second. But there's another game to think about...the DRAFT!!!!

AWWW YEAHHH!

Too bad I don't know anything about college ball...!

But you just know BB/SP are gonna load the boat with the right guys.

Let's just kill everybody next year!!!!

Remember, guys aren't necessarily going to perform as well/as badly as they did in college. The NFL's a really different league. I'm not even sold on Reggie Bush yet (start a different topic if you want to discuss that).

That's pretty much all I know about college football. :D

That and my own created school in NCAA 2005 rules. Go Dominican College. :rocker:

nickw308810 said:
I don't know if I want him at 21, but the player I would love to have would be Antonio Cromartie. He can return kicks which we obviously need help on and he is 6'3 and fast. Could be a shutdown corner, and while he is developing into that he probably could play some Safety. DeAngelo Williams would be my pick at RB.

Cromartie is estimated to be a 3-4th round pick. He has 4.49 speed.

Richter said:
LaRon Landry at #21, unless White or Williams are available to supplement Dillon at RB. The Pats have 4 first day picks I believe, with 2 in the 3rd round.

Landry is a junior. Has he declared for the draft?

DaBruinz said:
Landry is a junior. Has he declared for the draft?
I thought Landry was going back to school. Not 100% sure though.

KDPpatsfan said:
I actuallt think we should make alot of picks to build solid depth that we failed at w/ Klecko,Reid, G. Scott, M. Hill, C. Cobbs. etc.

There is plenty of room on this team for some talented rookies to grow. Plus we have alot of needs IMO that can be filled for a long time with a great draft. I say pick em' all.

How do you figure we failed wiht Klecko, Hill and G. Scott? Hill was and still is a project and, since you missed it, saw time in key situations on Saturday. G. Scott can't be considered a bust considering that he's been injured but has shown signs of plenty of potential. Dan Klecko has done anything and everything the Pats have asked of him.

You sure have a warped sense of success and failure.

KDPpatsfan said:
Maybe a fourth for Druzzi but not likely anything for Patten.

Actually, the Pats will probably get a 4th or 5th for Andruzzi, a 6th for Patten and a 7th for Klemm. Its based, mostly, on Salary, not production.

You should check out Adamjt's explanation on it. The guy has been pretty accurate.

I want White.

Cro, I think, can be had in round 2.

DaBruinz said:
How do you figure we failed wiht Klecko, Hill and G. Scott? Hill was and still is a project and, since you missed it, saw time in key situations on Saturday. G. Scott can't be considered a bust considering that he's been injured but has shown signs of plenty of potential. Dan Klecko has done anything and everything the Pats have asked of him.

You sure have a warped sense of success and failure.

Hill & Scott I agree with, though you'd still think that as a 2nd Hill would have started to log more time than he did this year, but agreed he is a project.

But Klecko is a bust, period, and I'm not sure how you could argue it any other way.

He's done all that's been asked of him? Yeah, I guess if BB came out and told Klecko to man the bench, he's been an A+.

But fact is Klecko is so incompetent in his job as "role player" as a short yardage FB that All Pro Seymour had to fill the role and get hurt in the process. Klecko has no position in the NFL and will not only not be a Patriot next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the league.

Sure, the Jets might pick him up for some novelty PR, but that's about it.

tombonneau said:
Hill & Scott I agree with, though you'd still think that as a 2nd Hill would have started to log more time than he did this year, but agreed he is a project.

But Klecko is a bust, period, and I'm not sure how you could argue it any other way.

He's done all that's been asked of him? Yeah, I guess if BB came out and told Klecko to man the bench, he's been an A+.

But fact is Klecko is so incompetent in his job as "role player" as a short yardage FB that All Pro Seymour had to fill the role and get hurt in the process. Klecko has no position in the NFL and will not only not be a Patriot next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the league.

Sure, the Jets might pick him up for some novelty PR, but that's about it.

Sorry, Tom. But I have got to disagree with you. What you are so willing to brush aside was that after Klecko's 1st year, the Pats asked him to drop 20 lbs of muscle to get to 265. He did that so that they could teach him the run-stopping ILB position. That got de-railed while they were using him at FB and he tore his ACL. Then, this off-season, they asked him to bulk back up to play the D-line because they didn't have a NT behind Wilfork going into camp. He did that. And they continued to use Klecko at FB and on special teams.

So, I don't see how you can say Klecko is a bust when he's not been given a fair chance at any one position. Most players get 3 years to show what they have at any one position. Klecko has been bounced around by the Pats from D-line to FB to ILB to FB to NT. He's not been allowed to focus on any one position like 99% of the other players are.

Klecko was a project when he was brought in. Just like Scott and Hill. The problem was that the Patriots staff couldn't make up their mind what position he was a project for.

I personally want White, because I think he would fit well into the Pats offense, considering the role Faulk will continue to play. However, I don't know college football that well, so who knows if there is a more suitable back available in the later rounds.

It will more then likely be someone we never heard of and probably will become an instant star (and yes that is a rip off of TMQ).

Agree to disagree. I don't want to turn this into a Klecko thread, so we'll just leave it at that.

DaBruinz said:
Sorry, Tom. But I have got to disagree with you. What you are so willing to brush aside was that after Klecko's 1st year, the Pats asked him to drop 20 lbs of muscle to get to 265. He did that so that they could teach him the run-stopping ILB position. That got de-railed while they were using him at FB and he tore his ACL. Then, this off-season, they asked him to bulk back up to play the D-line because they didn't have a NT behind Wilfork going into camp. He did that. And they continued to use Klecko at FB and on special teams.

So, I don't see how you can say Klecko is a bust when he's not been given a fair chance at any one position. Most players get 3 years to show what they have at any one position. Klecko has been bounced around by the Pats from D-line to FB to ILB to FB to NT. He's not been allowed to focus on any one position like 99% of the other players are.

Klecko was a project when he was brought in. Just like Scott and Hill. The problem was that the Patriots staff couldn't make up their mind what position he was a project for.

I wouldn't call Klecko a bust. I don't think anyone had 1st round pick hopes for him anyway. Klecko just doesn't fit in anywhere. That's his problem. Sort of a jack of all trades, master of none type.

some more thoughts (offense)

RB is probably a big need, but 1st and 2nd rounders are hard to evaluate --- so many highly-drafted RBs amount to not much. Maybe it's better to take a proven veteran, though a younger one than we took with Corey. That fella in Seattle might be good, except for he's a stat-obsessed anti-Patriot! Who's the best 25-26-27-year-old free agent RB this year?

We might well take the annual D-lineman. Unless they see more progress in Hill than some of us do, we don't have quite as much DL depth as we thought back in June. Much depends on our plans for Seymour. I say pay the money to lock him up for another 4 years.

Really, the big picture is, we could use a run-effective O-line. This has been true every year since 1986! We need the kind of line where whoever we put in at RB would do well. We seem to have better pass blockers than run blockers --- is this always the way with Scarnechia? Still, with two good OL picks last year, maybe experience will start kicking in. At some point, years together are almost as important as talent.

WR --- yes, I could see a Day One pick here, especially if we see Givens departing. I think it would be a mistake to let Givens go, though. Think how many years he and Brady have been developing timing & shared sense of what to do with each other.

nickw308810 said:
I don't know if I want him at 21, but the player I would love to have would be Antonio Cromartie. He can return kicks which we obviously need help on and he is 6'3 and fast. Could be a shutdown corner, and while he is developing into that he probably could play some Safety. DeAngelo Williams would be my pick at RB.

Cromartie is reputed to be as dumb as a stump; and not a great tackler. That's a lot more than two strikes with Belichick....

AzPatsFan said:
Cromartie is reputed to be as dumb as a stump; and not a great tackler. That's a lot more than two strikes with Belichick....
I met him before at a track meet and he does not seem that dumb. Obviously not a genius though, just a normal football player. And for the other guy who responded about Cromartie, I will guess that he runs a lot faster than a 4.49 at FSU's Pro Day and there is no way he will last until the 3rd or 4th round. He would have probably passed Jimmy Williams to be the 1st CB taken if he didn't get hurt. Some team will take the risk long before the 3rd or 4th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing