PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you want right now at pick #21?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If you don't know much about the draft yet, then just say a position and I'm sure the rest of us can fill in some players who fit that mold.

After seeing Hobbs and Samuel look like pretty solid youngsters the last bit of the year, CB doesn't look like as glaring of a need as it did earlier, but it still needs to be addressed sometime Day 1. The LBs are getting older, and the safety spot opposite Geno needs to be filled either for next year if Rodney doesn't come back, or for when Rodney hangs up the cleats. The OL could also be addressed, but likely not this early since the OT spots are the only ones that warrant this draft spot, and both OT spots look to be filled on our roster. We could also use a top WR if Givens or Branch leave in the next 2 years, and a RB since Dillon is getting a bit aged. So IMO, these are some players I'm looking at, as of now:

* = pretty likely that he'll be gone before our pick

Michael Huff*, CB/S, Texas
Jimmy Williams*, CB/S, VT
LenDale White*, RB, USC
Chad Greenway*, OLB, Iowa
Mathias Kiwanuka*, OLB/DE, BC
Tye Hill*, CB, Clemson
DeAngelo Williams*, RB, Memphis
DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
Tamba Hali, OLB/DE, Penn St.
Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.
Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St.

Last edited:
I would guess we'll take the best available But I personally I would like to see us take LenDale or Huff if they are still on the board. I don't believe theres any chance in Hell that Huff will still be there...But LenDale could be

Well

Unless corey takes a restructure in the offseason, i don't see him coming back! (who knows, he might be gone anyway) So if that happens we take a tailback---if not we take someone for the secondary!

If I could have any player in the draft I would have to go with AJ Hawk.

Knowing that he won't make it past # 10, I'll say the best player availabe at either RB,CB,S or DE( I think Hill is a bust.)

mtbykr said:
Unless corey takes a restructure in the offseason, i don't see him coming back! (who knows, he might be gone anyway) So if that happens we take a tailback---if not we take someone for the secondary!
Dillon counts $6M if he doesn't come back, over $5M dead money.

I'll order one Santonio Holmes please.

I say we take a stud Linebacker or a DB over 5'9". I think Randal Gay will give Samuel & Hobbs competition in training camp, Wilson is pretty solid at safety, but I'm not sold on Hawkins (or Hobbs & Gay for that matter). If, and that's a big if, Harrison can come back, he will be 33 years old. I say we pick the biggest, most talented, meanest safety out there. I would kill for Huff from Texas, he played very vell in the Rose Bowl, and is exactly what we need to take over for Rodney when the time comes. But I think we would have to trade up to get him. Our defense is pretty solid, and wasn't the reason we lost, but we do have some age and talent questions at DB and LB.

Though I would love to get a stud RB in the first round, we may have to wait till later rounds, or the following year. What excites me, is the fact that BB and Pioli are probably already discussing the reloading of the Patriots as we speak.

SS or LB. Possibly a CB or RB. My eyes are on Bing and Brooks. Who ever he is, I think we'll have a good pick. This should be a deep draft.

BelichickFan said:
Dillon counts $6M if he doesn't come back, over $5M dead money.

I'll order one Santonio Holmes please.

Santonio Holmes reminds me too much of Peter Warrick, no thanx.

Atlanta Patsfan said:
SS or LB. Possibly a CB or RB. My eyes are on Bing and Brooks. Who ever he is, I think we'll have a good pick. This should be a deep draft.
Brooks is going back to Virginia, and Bing's stock has fallen to late 1st round, early 2nd.

I don't know if I want him at 21, but the player I would love to have would be Antonio Cromartie. He can return kicks which we obviously need help on and he is 6'3 and fast. Could be a shutdown corner, and while he is developing into that he probably could play some Safety. DeAngelo Williams would be my pick at RB.

Does anyone know what picks the Pats will now have in each round? Minus FA compensation of course.

LaRon Landry at #21, unless White or Williams are available to supplement Dillon at RB. The Pats have 4 first day picks I believe, with 2 in the 3rd round.

PatsRI said:
Does anyone know what picks the Pats will now have in each round? Minus FA compensation of course.
We have our own pick in every round except 5 (traded for Andre Davis).
We have Baltimore's #3, Detriot's #4 and Oakland's #5.

Belioli has traded us into a good position for a great draft.

BelichickFan said:
We have our own pick in every round except 5 (traded for Andre Davis).
We have Baltimore's #3, Detriot's #4 and Oakland's #5.

Belioli has traded us into a good position for a great draft.

Thanks. Was Starks last years draft? It's been a long year and the memory's fuzzy.

PatsRI said:
Thanks. Was Starks last years draft? It's been a long year and the memory's fuzzy.
I believe so yes.

PatsRI said:
Yes, he has been paid for in full.

So 1-1, 1-2, 2-3s, 2-4s ? Those 3s and 4s could come in handy if a move up in round 1 is needed.

BelichickFan said:
Yes, he has been paid for in full.
Is a refund possible? Or even a store credit? Hell, I'd take a simple apology from Dennis Green

PatsRI said:
So 1-1, 1-2, 2-3s, 2-4s ? Those 3s and 4s could come in handy if a move up in round 1 is needed.
They could but it's a very deep draft and they should be useful by themselves. Note, also, the extra 3 & 4 are near the top of the rounds and the #5 from the Raiders is a lot higher than the one we traded. We have some holes and upcoming FA over the next few years, this is a critical draft for re-stocking.

PatsRI said:
Those 3s and 4s could come in handy if a move up in round 1 is needed.
If AJ Hawk somehow slipped down around pick 10, we might be willing to move up to nab him. But then there's the whole Katzenmoyer thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes