PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you think will be our kick and punt returner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just wondering what the hordes here think about this position - its actually a pretty important aspect of our field position game.

Will Bethel claim that spot or have we given up on him? Troy Brown's getting too old for that - but if we need a sure hands guy he's the one.

Will Chad Jackson cut his teeth in that role? Someone else? (I don't know what speed Dave Thomas has but he looks like he can move and juke quite well)

Am I forgetting someone? Who will claim this spot?

I look for our kick returners to be Bethel and Ellis. As far as punt returns, who knows? I'm going to take a real wild guess and say Bethel finally pulls through and takes over punt return duties as well.

Bethel Johnson and Hobbs
Jackson

I wouldn't mind seeing Maroney and Jackson take kickoffs while they cut their teeth on the team...a good way to get them out there right away.

Andrews is going to get a chance to show what he can do...he looks to be the PR already.

Ughhh....Hobbs returning kicks. Injury waiting to happen.

KR--Bethel, Faulk, Pass
PR--Hobbs, Samuel, Andrews

Maroney has some experience in the return game. I dont know if Jackson has any return experience but he seems like the type of guy who could return kicks, given his speed.

FWIW, I think Willie Andrews was selected primarily for his return skills. He was rated a top-5 KR, and a not-much DB. Pure straight-line speed.

Matt Light, if his leg is healthy

Dan Klecko, the versatile one.

SoonerPatriot said:

I agree with this observation. PR and KR guys need to be players who are expendable. Hobbs is not expendable. Last year when he was trying to win a spot, okay. This year, no. If a corner gets nicked, he can't play.

BB: Bethel, over here... I'm givin you one last chance. You're gonna be our return man, Bethel...are you listening to me?... so don't make me look bad cuz I'm goin out on a limb here...stop watching TV while I'm talkin to you for krissakes!

Mike Vrabel........ Mr. Do it all!

I don't want Ellis Hobbs returning punts EVER. Play CB and maybe the occasional KR.

wistahpatsfan said:
BB: Bethel, over here... I'm givin you one last chance. You're gonna be our return man, Bethel...are you listening to me?... so don't make me look bad cuz I'm goin out on a limb here...stop watching TV while I'm talkin to you for krissakes!

Funny stuff. I don't know if Bethel ever makes it as receiver, but i think he's putting in the effort on special teams.

He played on the defensive kick teams last year too.

I think the guy may be a little thick, but i think he's also kind of tough and determined.

He's had serious injuries and come back in college.

And people forget he had a screw in his ankle up to training camp and played hard, though not effectively, despite not being 100%.

Bottom line, if healthy he'l still have to fight for his life to make this squad and I do think the guy has some fight left in him. BB doesn't keep wishy washy no minds around, he just doesn't.

First, Bethel needs to beat Bam Childress for a roster spot. There's a fair chance he doesn't make the team.

I think Andrews, Jackson and Moroney are all likely to be better than anyone else we have on the roster, including Faulk and Brown. Mix Bethel and Hobbs into the competition, and our return game should be much improved in 2006.

Really, the untold story of this draft is that BB filled out with a lot of ST talent, those three (Andrews, Jackson and Moroney) plus Mills and Mincey in coverage. That's five rookies out of ten, all with solid ST resumes.

Now, add Mitchell and Tebucky, and we have all the players we need to replace Dwight, Chatham, Stone... and still have room for big upside. Perhaps the best ST roster we've had in years.

Don Davis may be forced into retirement, afterall.

RayClay said:
Funny stuff. I don't know if Bethel ever makes it as receiver, but i think he's putting in the effort on special teams.

He'd better be - right now on the WR roster he's behind Branch, Jackson, Brown, Caldwell & probably even Childress given his upside. Occassionally we carry 6 WRs but 5 & 6 hardly ever play anyway - if he doesn't make the team in a ST role he's not seeing a lot of inactive games anyways and they might as well cut him.

Nobody has mentioned Childress as a potential kick returner...Why not ? A little undersized, but he's got speed and shiftiness.

Just saw Curran on Fox 64 news - he says Bethel is so far down the depth chart now that he's "gone"

SoonerPatriot said:

couldn't agree more.

he's so good at it though. They had him in there against Denver as a desperate measure trying to break a big return to set up a score before halftime...and if it wasn't for Scott "steroids" Sauerbrun, he would have.

I doubt they'll continue to use him in that role on a regular basis.

the decimation of our secondary helped us discover and develop Ellis much quicker than we would've otherwise. we forget that he was an emergency option last year -- and despite getting picked on in every game, did an outstanding job -- in my book, Ellis was the rookie of the year, over Mankins/Kaczur, and maybe second in the league only to Cadillac Williams.

patchick said:
FWIW, I think Willie Andrews was selected primarily for his return skills. He was rated a top-5 KR, and a not-much DB. Pure straight-line speed.

You know I was scratching my head at this pick as it didn't make sense at the time, but you may have hit the nail on the head.

Here is his scouting report from nfldraftcountdown

Strengths:
Has excellent speed...Very instinctive...Plays much bigger than he is...A solid tackler who can also deliver the big hit...Very strong...Active and is always around the action...Experienced and a three-year starter...Also an excellent return man.

Weaknesses:
Is undersized and doesn't have the height you look for...Lacks fluid hips and struggles in man coverage...Ball skills and hands really leave something to be desired...May need to be in the right scheme to succeed...Starting potential?

Notes:
Might be a S / CB 'tweener without a true pro position...Because he doesn't have great size he may never be more than a backup and special teamer at the pro level...With his speed someone could take a chance on him earlier than expected.

Sounds like a fast guy without the size to make an impact at safety. But could really make the team as a ST player.

If this guy can end up as KR/PR I'll be THRILLED, bc I'm sure same as everyone else, I cringe when a starter or quality player like Hobbs is out there getting smacked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes