Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who do you most want to get the Republican nomination?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Who do you most want to get the nomination?
    Who do you least want?

Put in order and explain why.

John Huntsman
    Mitt Romney
    Tim Pawlenty
    Newt Gingrich
    Ron Paul
    Sarah Palin
    Michele Bachmann
    Rick Perry

I could live with any of the top three. While I think Obama would stand a better chance of beating the others, the election of Ronald Reagan taught me that the American people are perfectly capable of electing small-minded racists and bigots.

- Huntsman, having worked for Obama, is probably the most moderate.
    - Romney is a known entity and would mold his views to popular opinion.
    - Pawlenty is conservative, but would be pragmatic and not overly partisan.
    - Gingrich is scary, but would be competent. He'd probably be like a Reagan.
    - Sarah Palin would be an embarrassment; she comes across as an idiot.
    - Ron Paul would largely legalize bigotry and cut programs for even the truly needy.
    - Michele Bachmann is plain nuts, and is too unstable to be president.
    - Rich Perry is downright scary; he'd try to impose a Christian version of a Sharia state.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

1 (tie) - John Huntsman, Mitt Romney (leadership experience, business and financial knowledge, reasonably pragmatic)
    2 - Tim Pawlenty (not a big fan of the corporate welfare that he favors: ethanol, Target field...would need to learn more)

Honorable mention - Newt Gingrich in the Cabinet (brilliant guy, but his irascible nature makes him unsuitable)

1 Sarah Palin
    2 Michele Bachmann
    3 Rick Perry
    4 Ron Paul (although as a libertarian I am inclined to learn more about him, I don't have a favorable impression right now)
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +518 / 6 / -2

You're a moderator yet you make ridiculous comments like those that only aim to invite anamosity and arguments. Nice job Patters.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Actually I would like the 3 you put at the bottom the most.

1) Palin, she is the leading Voice of the Tea Party as we see in the current debate they are the only group in Washington challenging the status quo. She is very strong on all the issues important to conservatives. The attacks on Palin saying she is stupid remind me of the attacks on Reagan. This usually indicates that Libs and establishment pubs are scared of a candidate. More reason to favor that candidate.

2) Perry has been mostly good on the issues has a base in a state with a lot of electoral votes, would be acceptable to the pub establishment, not sure if this is good or not.

You left off H Cain. He has a strong business background, he favors a lot of Tea Party positions on the economy. He could be hurt on foreign affairs, he may be too blunt with his opinions in a way that is easy for his opponents to twist and distort, that is his weakness.

4) Bachman good on the issues, isn't as strong dealing with the attacks a conservative female or black conservative will get from the left. They hate females or blacks who don't stay on the plantation.
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +252 / 3 / -4

13 wants 2 terms for Obama

weird, recently you said that same thing about the pubbies
  6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +252 / 3 / -4

Can I go off-list? Gary Johnson (though he doesn't stand a chance at the nomination or the presidency)

On list, maybe Huntsman, but I need to learn more about him. I'd like ron Paul to be a strong contender so that his issues are taken seriously. Romney would be good as a viable threat to Obama, but I think he'd just be an empty suit for 4 years were he to win.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Are you drunk tonight?
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +252 / 3 / -4

Are you drunk most nights?
  9. MOSS

MOSS Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Palin has shown **** to her ******* stupid **** she sparws. Bachmann is bad as well as Cain. We need no more amoralfags in our congress or white house. Palin will never win in this country. Dennis Kucinch and Bernie Sanders are the real anti-establishment. The establishment are scared of both men because they will take down the corrupt Washington culture.And she is the status quo. Anti-establishment in the GOP is Ron Paul, not Pallin and the ******* Tea Party.
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +252 / 3 / -4

OT: I can get pretty creative w/profanity, but I'm just not sure what this means. (I'm guessing I agree, though.) :)
  11. silenthuntr7

silenthuntr7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just an international reply, from someone that follows US politics pretty closely:

Huntsman's probably the most respected one, with his experience on China. Pawlenty's also pretty respected. Romney's just done this a few times too often, though he has money.

Also, just as an aside, Palin and Bachmann are pretty much grouped in the same category...the US would instantly lose a great deal of respect and goodwill if either of them were elected. (That goes for anyone from the tea party...American politics is to the right of international politics to start off with, and the tea party would be considered an extremist group in most countries.)
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

Those who vote for the extremists want to continue the current chaos inside of the beltway.. Palin, Bachman and Perry would only continue the hysteria.

Perry too religious, Texas is in a fiscal mess and that will come out soon, there are lots of soundbytes that can easily be disputed... 6,000 folks have signed up for the "Response".. one might say that is a pyss poor response.
    Bachman batshyt crazy..
    Palin just a divider, lots of fluff no substance.. she left Alaska a mess and her so called knowledge of managing resources is just a wet dream, they scrapped her pipeline in favor of a new one.

Extremists will not be good for this country, this is a country that moderation works best.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

This is a great time for a Muslim to run, a Muslim Women, she would win.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Ditto - for mostly the same reasons. I'd add Herman Cain as a no-way on a par with Rick Perry and I'd switch Ron Paul and Sarah Palin. I'd rather have Paul than Palin - but not by much.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Nothing like a simple thread about Republican presidential candidates to bring out the Muslims, is there?

Nothing scares a conservative like a Muslim scares a conservative. You can tell how scared they are by how often they bring them up - it's not that they don't like them, of course, it's fear - just like liberals are ascared of Palin. That's how you can tell, you know. I have it on good authority. If you start a thread about her, or if you enter a thread about her and say something negative, it means you are AFRAID of her.

I wonder what it means when you bring something/someone up in every thread - no matter what the thread is about?

What comes after fear????
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Is Eisenhower still alive?
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I don't get the love for Perry? This is a guy that was talking seceding not that long ago. Now, he's running for President and all is forgotten.