PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you expect to lead the team in sacks this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am going to venture that it most likely will not be Cain to retain the sack leader this year,I don't see it for whatever reason may be.

While it looked good on paper with double digit sacks,the truth is that Tully had 5 of those 10 sacks against the woeful Bills and thier horrid offensive line and he did go 10 of 16 games without a sack.

While Sacks stats are not the most important thing on defense,I,like almost every fan in here is hoping for much improvement there.

Will it be Cain again? or will it be the rookie Cunningham or maybe some inside bull like Spikes or maybe Mayo gets unleashed or maybe the front 3 get more involved like Wilfork or Warren.

IMO longshots would be G. Warren,Guyton,Nincovich or Burress if he decides to return or maybe we see alot more corner or safety blitzes resulting in someone in the secondary (if a player in the secondary is leading the team in sacks I think we would be considered to be in trouble with the pass rush :))

Who is your pick for player in 2010 most often to knock the QB on his ass?

Last edited:
I'm going with Cunningham. I know what everyone is saying about relying on rookies and all that, but I watched this guy play in person too many times in Florida to count him out or relegate him to just a sub-package guy. I believe he's too good.

Schobel.

Ok, seriously, I think Cain takes it again. It's not to say that there won't be other guys that rise up and get in on the action (Spikes, Cunningham), but this will be Cain's year again. Next year, I think we might be seeing Spikes taking the lead.

Schobel.

Ok, seriously, I think Cain takes it again. It's not to say that there won't be other guys that rise up and get in on the action (Spikes, Cunningham), but this will be Cain's year again. Next year, I think we might be seeing Spikes taking the lead.

Dude, the quote in your sig is priceless. It once again shows why coaches coach and why the opinions of the mediots and fans alike mean nothing.

Sorry, I'm not trying to derail the thread.

Last edited:
Spikes, I'll go with 15 sacks.

My 3 picks, in order... Cain, Wright, Cunningham.

My 3 picks, in order... Cain, Wright, Cunningham.

Wright? That's an interesting pick. I'll be watching him closely this year because I think he can emerge and surprise some people.

I'll go Ron Brace as DROY for 19 and 1/2 sacks along with six pick six. From the safety position.

Zoltan.... thrown into the role of LB by week 3- and nobody can defeat the Zoltan!

Seriously- Spikes.

I'll go with Cunningham, 9 sacks.

I think the sacks will be spread out among several players: Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Wright, Chung, Mayo/Spikes. I'd watch out also for G. Warren or D. Lewis in subpackages.

If Cunningham starts, I'll go with him. Though, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for TBC to repeat as sacks champion for this team, either.

Tully Banta-Cain, with 7 sacks
Jermaine Cunningham, with 5 sacks
Gary Guyton, with 4 sacks
Rob Ninkovich, with 3 sacks
Mike Wright, with 3 sacks
Jerod Mayo, 2 sacks
Patrick Chung, 2 sacks
Myron Pryor, 2 sacks
Vince Wilfork, 1 sack

for a total of 29 sacks

Last edited:
If Spikes, McKenzie, Guyton, or any of the ILB rings up a good sack total, this defense will be hard to score points against. Consistent pressure from up the gut is something that I think we've been missing for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
Tully Banta-Cain, with 7 sacks
Jermaine Cunningham, with 5 sacks
Gary Guyton, with 4 sacks
Rob Ninkovich, with 3 sacks
Mike Wright, with 3 sacks
Jerod Mayo, 2 sacks
Patrick Chung, 2 sacks
Myron Pryor, 2 sacks
Vince Wilfork, 1 sack

for a total of 29 sacks

I think there is no way this team goes a whole season without a sack from a corner...Butler,Bodden or even McCourty will get to the QB before the season ends ...Meriweather has a shot to get a few as well.

With the pathetic unscary lineup at OLB,I expect A LOT of Blitz packages from the backfield to ease the front 7s burden

Last edited:
Just for the record, Cain isn't his name.

TBC would be my first guess, don't see any reason why he wouldn't replicate last year. All good pass rushers feast on crappy teams; do you want to discount Jared Allen's sack total too?

If not him, I could see any of Mayo, Cunningham, Spikes, Wright or Pryor taking it.

Just for the record, Cain isn't his name.

TBC would be my first guess, don't see any reason why he wouldn't replicate last year. All good pass rushers feast on crappy teams; do you want to discount Jared Allen's sack total too?

If not him, I could see any of Mayo, Cunningham, Spikes, Wright or Pryor taking it.

Jared Allen had 4 1/2 sacks in one game against the Packers last season - Hardly a horrid OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back