PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we want to face in 2 weeks?

Houston couldn't get out of town fast enough with their tail between their legs. If they expected to see us again it would be revenge time in the comfort of their own house. They probably never thought they'd be travelling right back to their house of nightmares and this time in frigid weather with Gronkowski waiting for them. I hope we get Houston because they are a basket case. Just another of a long list of teams traumatized by the Patriots.

Uhhhhh easy.... the colts.... delete thread.

Indy. They're probably the only team in the AFC this playoffs I'm not worried about.

Indy. They're probably the only team in the AFC this playoffs I'm not worried about.

That is what worries me about them.

I'm serious. The Colts have a team of destiny thing going on. They are fated to face Peyton and Denver. They will beat whomever is in the way of their destiny.

Root for Houston and let them only have to go through Baltimore.

That is what worries me about them.

I'm serious. The Colts have a team of destiny thing going on. They are fated to face Peyton and Denver. They will beat whomever is in the way of their destiny.

Root for Houston and let them only have to go through Baltimore.

The Broncos were supposedly the team of destiny last year, and look what happened to them when we faced them.

unless both wild-card teams win next weekend we are most likely faceing Houston or the Ravens.

good thing is, both teams seem to be reeling to end out the season. But considering how the Ravens usually play us tough at home. I feel like I would rather face Houston. I think the last 3/4 games they have played show how to beat them.

Divisional Round: Ravens - payback for that BS loss.
AFCCG: Broncos - nothing says 'SB title' like sending Manning home for the winter. Just like old times.
Super Bowl: 49ers. Because of the sheer joy of beating both Harbaugh brothers plus we need to show them what happens when the Patriots don't **** up everything possible for 2 1/2 quarters.

gimme the Colts. I think the ravens will beat them tho and end up coming here.

Divisional Round: Ravens - payback for that BS loss.
AFCCG: Broncos - nothing says 'SB title' like sending Manning home for the winter. Just like old times.
Super Bowl: 49ers. Because of the sheer joy of beating both Harbaugh brothers plus we need to show them what happens when the Patriots don't **** up everything possible for 2 1/2 quarters.

Careful what you wish for. I see three brutal matchups. The 49ers might need to show us what happens when they don't play a soft prevent defense to allow us to get back into the game.

We want to face the Texans and send Indy to Denver. Can you imagine the psychological impact on Peyton having to play his old team? The media would swoon, and the Pats would be comfortably out of the limelight.

i've had the indy vs denver playoff upset in my mind for over a month now, hope that happens!

I see these teams as roughly equal opponents. I think the Colts have the worst defense, so I guess that would be my preference, but it's the least likely to happen.

For everyone writing off the Ravens and Texans, beware. In 2005, the Steelers were written off by everyone after struggling late in the season and won the SB. In '06, the Colts had that sieve rush defense and no one thought they'd go far. '08 Cardinals collapsed late in the regular season before putting it together, completely inexplicable. And of course, let's not forget the Giants last year, sitting 7-7 and everything had collapsed.

Sometimes these teams that completely bottom out end up getting a second wind and get a newfound sense of confidence; since they'd already been given up for dead, they have a scary attitude of playing with the house's money while realizing they are talented enough to beat anyone.

I, for one, would not be shocked at all if New England or Denver are not playing each other in the AFCCG, nor will I be shocked if neither are in the Super Bowl. Things change a lot in the NFL over just a couple of weeks, and I expect the roller coaster to continue into the playoffs, just like every year.

Last edited:
If it weren't for the Bernard Pollard factor, I'd say definitely the Ravens. In a pressure situation, I'd rather face the fading team that's questioning itself and making 11th-hour coaching changes vs. the improving team that's riding a wave of emotion and confidence.

Colts or Texans. Not the Ravens, under ANY circumstances. It might be an irrational respect/fear, but I don't want to see the Ravens 'til next year.

I do want to see the Bengals upsetting the Texans at Reliant, and then see how the Broncos deal with them. They might be the surprise this year in the AFC.

If it weren't for the Bernard Pollard factor, I'd say definitely the Ravens. In a pressure situation, I'd rather face the fading team that's questioning itself and making 11th-hour coaching changes vs. the improving team that's riding a wave of emotion and confidence.

Remember last year's WC round? We already knew the winner of the PIT/DEN game was gonna be our next opponent. Until this day I prefer the unexperienced, emotional team than the old, fading, experienced team.

Last edited:
Remember last year's WC round? We already knew the winner of the PIT/DEN game was gonna be our next opponent. Until this day I prefer the unexperienced, emotional team than the old, fading, experienced team.

Psst...the old, fading, experienced Pitt team lost that game to the younger, emotional Broncos. ;)

Psst...the old, fading, experienced Pitt team lost that game to the younger, emotional Broncos. ;)

And look what happened later when we faced them.
I want Luck and his young team to play at Foxborough. I see a win by the Ravens more probable than a Colts one.

I tend to agree. Of course there is going to be other factors, however, I prefer to face a team that has not been there and has little playoff experience. While certainly not 100% of the time, one thing about the Patriots playoff performances is they have played with poise and purpose while taken in to the next level. IMHO young and inexperienced teams will have a harder time taking it to that kind of next level....

Just think, though. If Houston comes to Foxboro, they'll get to break out those really swell letterman jackets again!

Just think, though. If Houston comes to Foxboro, they'll get to break out those really swell letterman jackets again!

That was one of the more bizarre things I've seen in 40+ years of following pro football.

I see these teams as roughly equal opponents. I think the Colts have the worst defense, so I guess that would be my preference, but it's the least likely to happen..

I agree. I'd rather have the Colts. Emotion can take you only so far and i think that is what Indy has been playing on. Coupled with a rookie QB and a below-average defense they are a better matchup than BAL which does have a good track record of playoff sucess under Harbaugh. HOU is a VERY good team. The can do damage offensively but not quite sure they have the defensive horses to match up with the Pats.

For everyone writing off the Ravens and Texans, beware. In 2005, the Steelers were written off by everyone after struggling late in the season and won the SB. In '06, the Colts had that sieve rush defense and no one thought they'd go far. '08 Cardinals collapsed late in the regular season before putting it together, completely inexplicable. And of course, let's not forget the Giants last year, sitting 7-7 and everything had collapsed..

Good points except the '05 Steelers. They had an incredible amount of talent (15-1 in the year prior) and won their last 4 games and were incredibly hot going into the playoffs.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back