PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we pick at #86?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KC went for Croyle!

C'mon BB! Make it Bing! Bing Bing Bing!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bing is a stiff! Wilkerson!

and with the 86th pick the Patriots select TE David Thomas

David Thomas? who the heck is he?

No No No No! We Need Defense! Theres Plenty Te!

I think we can now say for sure that BB isn't particularly concerned about the state of the defense next year. And that's a good thing.

As usual, expect the unexpected.... lol

Dave Thomas, TE

Dave Thomas:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/thomas_dave

Thomas was a frustrating player to evaluate because he has many of the receiving skills that is wanted in a tight end, but he lacks the all-around skills and athleticism to be an impact player in the NFL. He has decent height for a tight end, but is thin and lacks the bulk and size to effectively block in line and does not have the athleticism to adjust and maintain his blocks in space. Thomas has shown the ability to get through to the second level to seal block the linebacker inside on outside runs when he has a clear path, but when he has to chip a defensive lineman first, Thomas struggles to get to the second level in time. He is a smart and instinctive receiver that runs sharp routes, uses his body well against defenders and has the good hands to make tough catches consistently. He runs very aggressively after the catch and will lower a shoulder and deliver a blow to tackler -- consistently gains yards after contact. He is not an explosive player with a lack of burst off the ball and cannot get separation in routes. Thomas' lack of burst and speed makes him a good short-yardage receiving threat that lacks big-play ability. One added bonus is that Thomas has experience playing on special teams coverage units and has done a good job of making tackles. Overall, Thomas looks to be a backup tight end at best. He will contribute as a receiver on short and medium routes, in the red zone and as a special teams player, but he will never be a big-play threat as a receiver and will only be an adeqate blocker. In the end, Thomas will be a valuable backup tight end whose hands enable him to contribute as a receiver.

STRONG POINTS

Smart and tough receiver that consistently has shown the ability to make key catches when Texas needed them most. Runs sharp and efficient routes -- on third-and-4, can be counted on running a 5-yard route. Has very good hands and does a good job of reaching out and plucking ball away from the body. Uses his body very well to shield the defender from the ball and shows the hands and concentration to make the catch with a defender trying to climb over his back to break up the pass. Is a strong and aggressive runner after the catch that keeps his feet against hits and consistently gains yards after contact. Does a solid job of run blocking against linebackers on the second level.

WEAKNESSES

Thomas is lighter than ideal and does not have the explosiveness or playing speed to make up for it. He is not quick or explosive off the ball into his routes and lacks the quickness to get separation in his routes. Cannot get down the seam and make big catches down field. He is not a highly competitive run blocker -- does not attack the defender and struggles to get movement on run blocks. Lacks the bulk and strength to hold ground against aggressive pass rushers and can be driven into the quarterback's lap.

I'm not surprised at a TE pick.

There is no question that bb wants to have 3 starting quality TE's. At very least, we need an inactive who step up for a few games if someone is hurt. With the pick of Thomas, I would say it time to try to extend Graham.

I expect that we'd draft a TE in the second. bb found a much better use for #52 and #75.

We got bb pick of what was left at TE. I like Byrd a bit better. I could say that bb knows best, but he really isn't much a judge of tight ends after R1, or of 3rd rounders for that matter. I hope he breaks his spell here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes