PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Do The Pats Move Up To Grab in 2nd Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
With three picks now in the 3rd round it seems likely the Pats will trade up to get a higher pick in the second round. Remember BB saying something about that "long parade" of players they'd have to watch between their first and second picks? Armed with a freebie 3rd from NO they can now add a 3rd round pick into a swap of 2nd's and they ought to be able to get into the upper/middle of the second - who will their target be?

groves or cason

use one 3rd for j. taylor and use a second 3rd to move up in the 2nd for your guy and use the third 3rd in the 3rd.

Maybe Cason I'm hoping.

I was trying to add a poll but the thread closed up on me too quickly.

The five choices were:

Reggie Smith CB, OK
Patrick Lee CB, Auburn
Ray Rice RB, Rutgers
Kentwan Balmer DT, NC
Sam Baker OT, USC - scratch him he was just grabbed in the 1st!
Other

I bet it's Smith or Lee because the run on CB's has started and I bet Cason is gone soon, top of the 2nd at the latest.

Last edited:
Cason, Flowers, Kenny Phillips, Quentin Groves, Cliff Avril...

Could Duane Brown slip to us?

Boy, Brown would have to really slip since SIX OT's are gone already plus Alberts, all this before pick 24!

With three picks now in the 3rd round it seems likely the Pats will trade up to get a higher pick in the second round. Remember BB saying something about that "long parade" of players they'd have to watch between their first and second picks? Armed with a freebie 3rd from NO they can now add a 3rd round pick into a swap of 2nd's and they ought to be able to get into the upper/middle of the second - who will their target be?

Cliff Avril. My guess is that he will go high in the second; he adds a speedy dimension to the pass rush which Colvin used to provide.

Last edited:
scracth cason

Q.Groves still on the board. I have 5 more cb's going after Flowers in Round 2.
R.Smith, P.Lee, J.King, T.Porter and C.Godfrey. May not have to move up if we want a cb.
I think these olb's will last until tomorrow now; E.Henderson, B.Davis and S.Crable. We could get one of them if we don't move up for Groves.

Well, there's only Tampa Bay or Green Bay left to trade with - I can't see any of the AFC teams in between agreeing to help the Pats - so the trade up will happen now or in the next 4 picks. Could be that the Pats are surprised, like me, to see so many solid names left on the board: Groves, Rice, Reggie Smith, Dre Moore, Pat Lee, Avril, Jason Jones, and many more who will be there at pick 62, so the Pats may just keep all their picks. But that would be five guys you'd expect to make the team, plus the FA's they signed, there wouldn't be room for them all. Maybe they turn one of this year's 3's into a 2nd for next year.

Ah, in the time it took to type this Groves has been traded up for by JAX. But another WR has filled a slot in the 2nd, pushing down the dudes we're hoping for.

Last edited:
This thread really died after Cason got picked early.

Apparently, the Pats are just going to let the chips fall where they may, and take whoever's left on their board. Heck, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised--not happy, mind you, but not terribly surprised--if they spent one of those thirds on Brian Brohm or Chad Henne.

Apparently, the Pats are just going to let the chips fall where they may, and take whoever's left on their board. Heck, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised--not happy, mind you, but not terribly surprised--if they spent one of those thirds on Brian Brohm or Chad Henne.

And, miracle of miracles, Henne and Brohm are now off the board. :)

I have been listening ,or watching the draft since 1977,and I still can't figure out the rhyme or reason in a BB draft. Today for example he traded for an extra third well why doedn't he use it . We need more than a MLB we need cornerbacks as well. Instead of trading up with extra picks they stand pat. Oh I know the pats will bring in alot of street FA,or undrafted CB's through them out onto the field and see who sticks. But hanging on tho extra picks when you could use one or two to upgrade a position of need for the last 2-3 years with potentially a very good player that could be around for awhile doesn't seem logical to me. When someone says why don't you be the GM. I'll reply next fall when were thin at CB and some of the ones we past up are playing well.

Last edited:
I have been listening ,or watching the draft since 1977,and I still can't figure out the rhyme or reason in a BB draft. Today for example he traded for an extra third well why doedn't he use it . We need more than a MLB we need cornerbacks as well. Instead of trading up with extra picks they stand pat. Oh I know the pats will bring in alot of street FA,or undrafted CB's through them out onto the field and see who sticks. But hanging on tho extra picks when you could use one or two to upgrade a position of need for the last 2-3 years with potentially a very good player that could be around for awhile doesn't seem logical to me. When someone says why don't you be the GM. I'll reply next fall when were thin at CB and some of the ones we past up are playing well.

We didn't pass on a CB in the 2nd round yet. Why not wait 5 minutes before making this post?

We didn't pass on a CB in the 2nd round yet. Why not wait 5 minutes before making this post?
Its a tradition, I make it every year. The Beolie pulls a rabit out of his hat. I think BB is the GREATEST COACH THAT EVER LIVED but I don't get his drafts. Take the CB for example. If you have these extra picks you acuired why not use them to go for a higher quality player. Sure BB can coach players up and accetuate their streghts. But think of this. We haven't won a SB since we have a grade A corner TY Law. And who picked him Parcelles in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back