PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Cares if Deion and His Agent "WON"?!?!?!?!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I keep reading about how "Deion and his agent Won" , bla bla bla waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they won, waaaaaaaaaaaaa, "i can't believe they won".

Who cares?

THE PATS WON!

They got 1st round draft pick for Deion Branch.
We were not going to pay him what he wanted.
He was not going to play here.
He would have been a free agent and we would not have resigned him.
We do not need him.

so Who gives a **** about Deion and his agent winning?

so what!
he got overpaid to play in a crappy town where it rains too much and no one even knows the team exists. He will not be that good.

Yeah, both sides won. The holdout did. He got his money. But we used a #2 pick on a player who helped win two Super Bowls and now get a #1 pick for him before having to pay him big money.

A well spent #2 pick IMO.

"Leon" didn't win

If you can take a player, get four good years out of him, and trade him for a first round pick, the team wins. This is how you sustain an elite program. Deion was a good WR, but wideouts are a dime a dozen. How many rings has Moss, TO, or Chad Johnson won? The Pats got a steal today.

The Pats Fleeced The Seahawks, So We Won...

Check out the numbers for Donte Stallworth-
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5899/career;_ylt=ArgEZhsFdRfDrmEsMpwoLB7.uLYF
and compare them to Branch-
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5951/career;_ylt=ArgEZhsFdRfDrmEsMpwoLB7.uLYF

Stallworth excedes Branch in every statistical category and he was traded for a FOURTH ROUNDER! Like most of you here, I feel that Branch is a better player than Stallworth and has had (at least up until now) a better attitude, but the huge discrepancy in trade value doesn't equal the marginally better assets Branch brings compared to Stallworth. Remember also that Stallworth never had a guy like Brady throwing to him. N.O. took what they could get for Stallworth while the Pats played hardball and got a king's ransom for Branch given the WR market of late.
Here's five bucks that says when they are both retired that Stallworth has had a more distinguished career.

As I've said elsewhere, I think Seattle had a deal on the table, and they panicked after a crappy performance yesterday, and upped the offer to a 1st round pick which is what BB & SP were looking for. We did as well as could be expected in this mess and pretty good at that!

Re: "Leon" didn't win

Jacky Roberts said:
If you can take a player, get four good years out of him, and trade him for a first round pick, the team wins. This is how you sustain an elite program. Deion was a good WR, but wideouts are a dime a dozen. How many rings has Moss, TO, or Chad Johnson won? The Pats got a steal today.

Absolutely perfectly said! :rocker:

Perhaps I have tunnel-vision but looking at things from our team's perspective, we had a WR who wanted more $ than we thought we was worth, he didn't report, we didn't give in, traded him (after a game we won but clearly needed some WR help), got a 1st rd pick for 2007(reportedly strong draft class), message sent to our players = Pioli will always do what's best for this team, and no one player changes that.
I Don't understand why people need to have a "winner" or looser.

The agent in his own mind might have "won," now how much says we blackball his clients like we have done with the Poston's and thier antics years ago. I see Chayut never having one of his guys wearing a Pats uni ever again.

We win by one, trading a guy who was not going to play for 9 more weeks, and getting a first round pick for said player, while other teams have gotten players who could have the same talent for a less pick (see the Stallworth trade.) Once Jackson and Gabriel step on the field (hopefully as soon as this week,) we will forget about Branch, while he gets ready to work on his blocking for Shaun Alexander and having very little chance of being the man like he could have been here.

A former Patriots Super Bowl MVP helped his value goes up even tough Harrison should have been the MVP of that game

I'll respond as if this is a serious question. The answer is Graham, Samuel and Koppen.

Keegs said:
I keep reading about how "Deion and his agent Won" , bla bla bla waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they won, waaaaaaaaaaaaa, "i can't believe they won".

Who cares?

THE PATS WON!

They got 1st round draft pick for Deion Branch.
We were not going to pay him what he wanted.
He was not going to play here.
He would have been a free agent and we would not have resigned him.
We do not need him.

so Who gives a **** about Deion and his agent winning?

so what!
he got overpaid to play in a crappy town where it rains too much and no one even knows the team exists. He will not be that good.

couldnt have said it better myself

mgteich said:
I'll respond as if this is a serious question. The answer is Graham, Samuel and Koppen.
It was a serious question.
It had to do with everyone crying on here about The agent "winning".

Teams overpay for players. That is what happened.

Did you honestly think a team would not overpay Deion Branch??? I hope not.

And if Graham, Samuel, and Koppen want to pull the same crap Deion did, screw them too. We can trade them as well.
BB will fix the problem if there is one like he just did with Branch.

Of course Deion was going to get his money one way or another. I never thought for a second that a team would not trade for him or that he would agree to one of the pats offers after he started his garbage.

You act like Deion's outcome affects on Patriots, but it affects all players in the league.
It is not like it has this huge negative impact on JUST the pats.

if this is "winning" then i guess congrats. But i don't see why anyone on this board should give a rat's ass about it.

I happen to think that Deion won. I happen to think that this is NOT a zero-sum game. For an rather ugly divorce both sides got what they wanted.

Miguel said:
I happen to think that Deion won. I happen to think that this is NOT a zero-sum game. For an rather ugly divorce both sides got what they wanted.

Deion clearly came out ahead by several million dollars. The Patriots also got excellent value in return, so I agree, not a zero-sum game.

But I still think the end result is a problem for the whole league. Jason Chayut is now a hero agent, and walking away from a contract is the proven route to millions. Splendid.

patchick said:
Deion clearly came out ahead by several million dollars. The Patriots also got excellent value in return, so I agree, not a zero-sum game.

But I still think the end result is a problem for the whole league. Jason Chayut is now a hero agent, and walking away from a contract is the proven route to millions. Splendid.
Still, it's not a new precedent. There will undoubtedly be a number of folks who entertain the idea of a holdout, but each situation will be different. mgtiech brings up the names Graham, Samuel and Koppen for whom this situation will have greater meaning - if that was the case they would be holding out now - their individual situations (including advisors I would presume) argued against a holdout. They may not be easy to re-sign, but that is the price the Patriots pay for being multiple champions. mg might better have listed players who enter their final season next year, like Wilson. But does anyone think Wilson would look at his performance to date and decide he had so substantially outplayed his contract? Each player will need to look closely at their own situation, I would expect only a few "skill" players will ever think they have the horsepower to hold out. If BB/SP can build the depth again, it may not be that difficult to manage.

patchick said:

If I wasn't already overpaid, I'd start a holdout at my own job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back