PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your top five favorite Patriots of All-Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who would make up your top five New England Patriots of ALLTIME!

I'm 23 and have only followed the Pats since 1990 so I am biased towards the most recent Patriots but here it goes........

1. Troy Brown
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Tedy Bruschi
4. Tom Brady
5. Ben Coates

brdmaverick said:

I'm 23 and have only followed the Pats since 1990 so I am biased towards the most recent Patriots but here it goes........

1. Troy Brown
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Tedy Bruschi
4. Tom Brady
5. Ben Coates

Steve Grogan needs to be in there somewhere for me, but I'm in too much of a hurry to edit your list. Also Rodney Harrison.

brdmaverick said:

1. Troy Brown
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Tedy Bruschi
4. Tom Brady
5. Ben Coates

Well, I'm older than you so here goes -

1. Tom Brady
2. Tedy B
3. Tippet
4. Hanna
5. Mel Gibson

Terry Glenn
Kenneth Sims
Trevor Matich
Hart Lee Dykes
Zeke Mowatt

OK, seriously:

Mosi
Hannah
Nelson
Tippett
Curtis

I think. Who knows?

Last edited:
Boy this is a tough one. OK , I'll try to mix them up.

1. Tedy Bru
2. Rodney
3. Sam Bam Cunningham 3a troy Brown
4.Mini Mack Herron
5. Wille Mac
5a. Steve Grogan
5b Steve Nelson
5c Vincent the undertaker Brown
5d Hog Hannah
5e Andy Johnson
5f Tom Brady
5g Stanley Morgan
5h Julius Adams
5i Randy the rabbit Vataha
5j Drew
5k ben Coats
5l vrabes
5m corey
5n tippett

5o Mosi Tatupu
5p Ronnie Lippett
5q Tim fox
5r Craig James
5s Don Blackmon
5t Richard Seymour
5u Ty warren
5v rosey Colvin
5w Big Vince
5x Matt Light
5y Dan koppen
5z Logan Mankins
5aa Ted Johnson
5bb Bill Belicheck
5cc Raymond Berry
Well those are my top 5 , I could go on but we had to limit them to our top 5.:cool:

Last edited:
1. John Hannah - g Best G of all time. I wore his nr. in hs.

2. Tedi Bruschi - lb Love the attitude and effort he brings to the table.

3. Rodney Harrison - s - My favorite Pat who started his career and made
his name with a different team.

4. Andre Tippett - olb - Damn shame he isn't in HOF. Putting some of those
50's and 60's lb's in before him is a joke.

5. Troy Brown - wr- Best player from Marshall to ever play in the NFL.
Classic, too small to make it son. Who proved
the doubters wrong.

Apologies to Brady,Vrabel,Adam V,Willie,Sey,Grogs,Nellie. I could only
name 5.

Ah, Ken Sims ...

dryheat44 said:
Terry Glenn
Kenneth Sims
Trevor Matich
Hart Lee Dykes
Zeke Mowatt

There's a name to conjure with ...

I knew even less about football then than I do now. I had seen this guy Marcus Allen running for USC and he looked pretty good to me. He'd been voted winner of the Heisman Trophy and New England had the number one pick in the entire draft -- some small compensation for a winter of intense suffering.

So, unerringly, they picked Ken Sims and the Globe was full of "it would have been easy to pick some glamour-boy Heisman Trophy winner or big number quarterback but this team is going to re-build on solid foundations with a top-flight Defensive Tackle" articles. They made me feel like a real ignoramus, of course -- what did I know?

Last edited:
1. Tom Brady
2. Tedy Bruschi
3. Drew Bledsoe
4. Andre Tippett
5. Steve Grogan

Grogan, Brady, McGinest, Hannah, Tippet in no particular order.

Andre Tippett - the forgotten super star

This guy was one of the elite but people forget because everyone was so focused on LT down in NYC.

Here is probably the best thing Borges has ever written:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2004/10/24/making_a_case_for_tippett?mode=PF
Making a case for Tippett
By Ron Borges | October 24, 2004

Andre Tippett belongs. He may not end up in Canton, Ohio, at a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony, as he should, but he belongs there. The preliminary list of 89 nominees for the Hall of Fame was released last week, and it included three names of local interest: Tippett, ex-Patriot tackle Leon Gray, and Waltham High and Boston College product Fred Smerlas, a five-time Pro Bowl selection at nose tackle during his long career in Buffalo.

Tippett is in a tough class with several near-locks for election, including first-year candidate Dan Marino, offensive tackle Gary Zimmerman, and two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Jimmy Johnson. With the likelihood of at least one of the senior pool nominees -- Fritz Pollard and Benny Freidman -- being elected, that may leave only two slots after the list is pared to 25 semifinalists and then 15 finalists.

There are many other deserving candidates on the list, so the odds are long against any player, but they are far longer on ones like Tippett and Smerlas, who played the bulk of their careers on poor teams.

It is not surprising to note that of the 221 members of the Hall, 75 percent played on at least one league championship team, an implication by omittance that there are few great players on bad teams.

Yet to those who saw Tippett play or did battle with him, there is little quarrel that he deserves to be the third Patriot elected.

Tippett played 11 years, started 136 games, is in the top 25 all-time with 100 sacks, forced 15 fumbles and recovered 17 (two for touchdowns), and in 1984 had one of the greatest defensive seasons in NFL history, producing 18 1/2 sacks, 118 tackles, and being selected NFL defensive player of the year.

From 1982-93, only Lawrence Taylor was a consensus All-Pro at outside linebacker more often than Tippett. Tippett went to the Pro Bowl five times and was selected All-AFC by one or more organization seven times. Again, only Taylor had the honor more often.

When Tippett played, two Linebacker of the Year awards were given, one by the NFL Players Association and the other by the NFL Alumni Association. Tippett won the award three times (1984, '85, and '87). Only Taylor won it more (five times).

There are two major differences between Taylor, who played 13 years and finished his career with 142 sacks and 9 fumble recoveries, and Tippett. First, Taylor played in New York on two Super Bowl champions, while Tippett played in Foxborough on mostly poor teams, only three of which reached the playoffs.

More important, Taylor rushed from the weak side, Tippett from the strong side, meaning Tippett always had to contend with a tight end as well as an offensive tackle. He also often shifted to defensive end on third down, which Taylor seldom did.

Taylor made the Pro Bowl every year from 1981-90. In his 13 seasons, the Giants reached the playoffs seven times. In contrast, Tippett made the Pro Bowl five times in 11 years, but his team made the playoffs only three times.

Tippett also played his entire career without having a single defensive lineman from his team make the Pro Bowl, and only two other Patriot linebackers were selected. Taylor had at least one other linebacker or defensive lineman selected with him in nine of his 10 Pro Bowl seasons. In his best years, 1985-87, he had at least two members of the Giants front seven at the Pro Bowl with him.

In 1986, Taylor was the league's MVP and had 20 1/2 sacks, perhaps the greatest season ever by a linebacker. That season, two of the linemen in front of him and a fellow linebacker were also Pro Bowl selections. In Tippett's best season, he had one, linebacker Steve Nelson.

Hall of Fame running back Eric ****erson, who played against both, said, "I think Tippett entering the Hall of Fame is long overdue, to be sure. Lawrence is a friend of mine. We play golf together quite often. He was a great, great player. But I think Andre Tippett was as great a linebacker as LT.

"Lawrence got all the media attention because he was in New York playing on Super Bowl teams while you never got to see Tippett. The sad thing is, a lot of being elected to the Hall is about notoriety."

Hall of Fame guard Joe DeLamielleure, who played 13 years in the NFL, is adamant about Tippett's candidacy.

"A lot of guys thought he was better than Lawrence," DeLamielleure said. "He's definitely one of the best outside linebackers who ever played.

"Everyone knows what a great pass rusher he was, but he also played the run as well as anybody I ever faced. He was one of the dominant defensive players in the game. You couldn't knock him off his feet.

"I understand why Tippett hasn't gotten his due. I played on bad teams most of my career, too. Some guys get forgotten. It would be a travesty if Andre Tippett is forgotten. I think he was every bit as good as LT. No question."

Thanks, shatch, for the Borges article (that's what's so frustrating -- he can be quite a decent journalist!)

But notwithstanding:

1. Tedy Bruschi
2. Steve Grogan
3. Ben Coates
4. Stanley Morgan
5. Lawyer Milloy

(I know, I know, but those are my favorites -- I'm a strange boy ...)

Steve "Big House" Moore
Greg Batty
Robert Perryman
Cedric Shaw
Zefross Moss

Now You're Talking.

PATSNUTme said:
Boy this is a tough one. OK , I'll try to mix them up.

1. Tedy Bru
2. Rodney
3. Sam Bam Cunningham
4.Mini Mack Herron
5. Wille mac
5a. Steve Grogan
5b Steve Nelson
5c Vincent the undertaker Brown
5d Hog Hannah

Oh Yeah. In Their Visitors Center, Do The Patriots Have Any Stuff on These Guys? It's A Crying Shame if They Don't.

1: John "Hog" Hannah, no question. one of them priceless 'Bama boys, a chaw in his lip at all times. Played for "Coach Bryant". Only about 6'2", 290. Left Guard. Mean but not Vicious. There was the snap. Then you were out of the way. Try to get in the way, ahd you might make him mad. He's In the NFL Hall of Fame. If you named a Top All-Time Team, Hannah would be the Left Guard.
As i understand it he's a Licensed Financial Advisor wigh a Boston-area investment banks. You can walk up to him any day and he'll give you a little time.
2. Sam "Bam" Cunningham: Think of Willie Ray McGinest at RB.
3. "Mini-Mack" Herron. about 5'5", 170. Kevin Faulk with blazing speed.
4. Steve Grogan. Not the greatest passer, but good enough to start in the NFL. He loved to run the ball. Only QB in NFL ever to wear a LB's neckroll.
With Grogan at QB, Mini-Mack at HB, and Don Calhoun (a fine player) at FB, the patriots had the 1971 sarting backfield for Kansas State University. for about 2 years, as i recall.
5. Tom Brady. He'll be #1 after a few more years. That young man is surgical. CBS showed a look at Brady, at his face, just before Patriots offense took the field for the game-winning SB drive against the Panthers. He was so calm. To me he seemed to be thinking..."ok, we'll do this. it'll be hard, but the game's over. we'll score and win. we always do. and that'll be it. game's is over. then i'll scream a while and then the trophy. maybe i 'll get to see bridget".
6. Steve Nelson. Perennial All-Pro.
7. Andre Tippett. With him next to Nelson, your game plan had to exclude any off-tackle or slant plays against the Patriots. For about 6 years.
8. Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborn. I think of them in tandem. Usually 10 interceptionsn apiece each season. Clayborn returned kickoffs, a couple to the house each year. Clayborn FAST, Haynes smooth. Clayborn passionate, Haynes icy. Just the facts.
9. Vincent "Undertaker" Brown.
10 Tedy Bruschi. Only a few Wildman players in patriots history. Maybe Mosi Tatupu. His body means nothing to him. Will do anything neccessary to make a play. Worse, he's the smartest player on the goddoom field, and calls diabolical plays. Is also an instnctual player, knows what you're gonna do next. With the stuff he does over there, the deceptions, he usually scrambles the QBs' brains by the 3rd qtr.

Steve Nelson
John Hannah
Steve Grogan
Tedy Bruschi
Andre Tippett

1 Tom Brady
2 Steve Grogan
3 Tedy Bruschi
4 Drew Bledsoe
5 Andre Tippet
6 Stanley Morgan
7 Russ Francis

1)Troy Brown
2)Tedy Bruschi
3)Ben Coates
4A)Russ Francis
4B)Stanley Morgan
5)Michael Haynes

since the thread refers to '90:

1 - Brady
2 - Bledsoe
3 - Mc Ginest
4 - Seymour
5 - Bruschi

if we look the past then: Hannah, Grogan, Nelson, Cunningham, Tatupu, and many others...

and: Pat the Patriot over Flying Elvis (as always....)

1. BB
2. Brady
3. Bruschi
4. Grogan
5. Hannah

1. Troy Brown
2. Brady
3. Bruschi
4. Willie McG
5. Rodney

The winner so far is ...

Tedy Bruschi!

(Of those who submitted non-ironic lists, only one poster has not included Tedy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes