PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your favourite NFL teams next season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me, please ...

... why everyone is so high on Carolina?

Last season I had the view that they were a dark horse for the Superbowl. They were coming off a horrible season with a lot of injuries but still had a lot of strengths (excellent defense, good quarterback, Steve Smith). Well, they did some good things, but when it really mattered my prediction bombed.

Suddenly though, to judge by this thread, everyone has them down as the class of the NFC. Can anyone explain, please, why they are going to be so much better this coming season than last? (If the reason is that DeShaun Foster will finally show himself as a great running back I'll buy it -- though I've given up hope.)

so NE-CIN looks like a possible AFC Championship not only for me...
i would like a game like that...
i really wish (for all the NFL) a Carson Palmer 100 % full recover.
a very good player imho.

Three pages worth and no Steelers? They are bringing back the same team they had from last year less Jerome Bettis.

Kraven said:
Three pages worth and no Steelers? They are bringing back the same team they had from last year less Jerome Bettis.

1. They weren't overwhelming going into the playoffs and didn't win their division.

2. They've lost another wide receiver (and replaced him with a guy who seems to be making the police station a second home).

3. Their quarterback has had his brains scrambled.

All of this may not matter, of course -- Palmer may not be back at his best, the Steelers don't depend much on wide receivers and Ben's brains aren't his long suit anyway -- but it explains our judgement.

Re: Can anyone explain to me, please ...

Mike the Brit said:
... why everyone is so high on Carolina?

Last season I had the view that they were a dark horse for the Superbowl. They were coming off a horrible season with a lot of injuries but still had a lot of strengths (excellent defense, good quarterback, Steve Smith). Well, they did some good things, but when it really mattered my prediction bombed.

Suddenly though, to judge by this thread, everyone has them down as the class of the NFC. Can anyone explain, please, why they are going to be so much better this coming season than last? (If the reason is that DeShaun Foster will finally show himself as a great running back I'll buy it -- though I've given up hope.)

I'll try and answer. BTW, don't beat yourself up too bad about your prediction bombing last year, you were closer than you're giving yourself credit for. I think a lot of people have a great deal of respect for John Fox (I'm one of them), and what he's done, getting us into the Super Bowl, making a gallant playoff push in 2004 despite having 14 on IR, and returning to the NFCCG last year. After losing Kris Jenkins in the season opener, not having a dependable #2 receiver all year, being down to our 4th and eventually 5th string RB in the NFCCG and playing 4 straight road games dating back to week 17, it all just became too much to overcome during the NFCCG debacle in Seattle. I am a Panthers fan and I enjoy surfing other teams message boards (the elite teams anyway) and while I'd love to fly under the radar it's just not possible this year after reading various thoughts and predictions. Of course adding Keyshawn was the highest profile signing this year, but the upgrade at DT by getting Jenkins back (who when healthy is regarded by many as the best DT in the game) as well as the signings of 350 lb Maake Kemoeatu and former first round pick Damione Lewis are bigger moves than Keyshawn. Getting Foster and 2005 second round pick Eric Shelton back to go along with DeAngelo Williams should settle the RB situation. Not to bore you with other names, numbers, and figures, but most insiders feel we upgraded our situation on the OL, and, while it can be debated how much better we are at LB and DB, we're certainly no worse off at LB and DB than we were in 2005, from a depth standpoint especially. Hope that helps, good luck in 2006!

Last edited by a moderator:

ctrcat said:
I'll try and answer. BTW, don't beat yourself up too bad about your prediction bombing last year, you were closer than you're giving yourself credit for. I think a lot of people have a great deal of respect for John Fox (I'm one of them), and what he's done, getting us into the Super Bowl, making a gallant playoff push in 2004 despite having 14 on IR, and returning to the NFCCG last year. After losing Kris Jenkins in the season opener, not having a dependable #2 receiver all year, being down to our 4th and eventually 5th string RB in the NFCCG and playing 4 straight road games dating back to week 17, it all just became too much to overcome during the NFCCG debacle in Seattle. I am a Panthers fan and I enjoy surfing other teams message boards (the elite teams anyway) and while I'd love to fly under the radar it's just not possible this year after reading various thoughts and predictions. Of course adding Keyshawn was the highest profile signing this year, but the upgrade at DT by getting Jenkins back (who when healthy is regarded by many as the best DT in the game) as well as the signings of 350 lb Maake Kemoeatu and former first round pick Damione Lewis are bigger moves than Keyshawn. Getting Foster and 2005 second round pick Eric Shelton back to go along with DeAngelo Williams should settle the RB situation. Not to bore you with other names, numbers, and figures, but most insiders feel we upgraded our situation on the OL, and, while it can be debated how much better we are at LB and DB, we're certainly no worse off at LB and DB than we were in 2005, from a depth standpoint especially. Hope that helps, good luck in 2006!

Thanks, ctrcat -- and welcome to the board. It's always great to hear from intelligent and open-minded fans of other teams, but especially at this time of the year.

No disrespect to Carolina -- I was advocating them as Superbowl dark horses before last season, Foster is (when at his best) one amazing player, and your guys gave us a h*ll of a game in XXXVIII -- but I think you're a bit in the same situation as we are. No huge and obvious sensational moves, but you trust the coach and are optimistic that a lot of less high-profile moves and your draft picks will pay off. I think that's the way every team's fans should feel in July -- but Fox and Belichick are better reasons to trust than most!

What do you think of the other NFC teams? How do you see the NFC East playing out? Oh, and there's a thread in General Talk ("Ten Great Things About America") where someone lists Carolina beach houses ...

NE & DEN with JAX the darkhorse

CAR & SEA with ... hell, I dunno who the real darkhorse is in the NFC.

I'm not saying those would be the championship games (it rarely works out that way), but those are the two teams I think have the best chance of winning their respective conferences.

As for Dallas, I won't believe in any team with the 21st century Drew Bledsoe as QB. Nice guy, strong arm, but he hasn't made a quick decision in years. I bet he takes an hour at Blockbuster.

Mike the Brit said:
Thanks, ctrcat -- and welcome to the board. It's always great to hear from intelligent and open-minded fans of other teams, but especially at this time of the year.

No disrespect to Carolina -- I was advocating them as Superbowl dark horses before last season, Foster is (when at his best) one amazing player, and your guys gave us a h*ll of a game in XXXVIII -- but I think you're a bit in the same situation as we are. No huge and obvious sensational moves, but you trust the coach and are optimistic that a lot of less high-profile moves and your draft picks will pay off. I think that's the way every team's fans should feel in July -- but Fox and Belichick are better reasons to trust than most!

What do you think of the other NFC teams? How do you see the NFC East playing out? Oh, and there's a thread in General Talk ("Ten Great Things About America") where someone lists Carolina beach houses ...

I think being in the same situation as the Patriots is a compliment! I would say the signing of Keyshawn was a surprise to some as he is obviously a high profile name, but his relationship with OC Dan Henning from their days in New York and our need for a big possession receiver make him a perfect fit. The fact he doesn't like the Bucs and is at a stage of his career where winning another ring is priority #1 make him ideal. The loss of Will Witherspoon however is more stereotypical of the Patriots/Panthers philosophy that I think you speak of. He's a good if not great player, but the Rams gave him a ton of money which we used to sign Keyshawn and Kemoeatu. Witherspoon's replacement will be second year man Thomas Davis out of the same university (UGA), with very similar physical characteristics (FYI Witherspoon was a third rounder and we went to the Super Bowl in his second year). At the other OLB spot Na'il Diggs and Keith Adams are a slight upgrade over Brandon Short.

Seattle has the "scoreboard" argument and I must say they're a good team and that's obviously a tough place to play. It'll be tough (for the Panthers) to get homefield because I feel our schedule is tougher, but having at least a first round bye would be huge considering weeks 16 and 17 we're on the road this year as well. IF we do play Seattle this year, home or away, hopefully at home, it'd be a dogfight but I like our chances. Again, barring injuries, not being down to Nick Goings or Jamal Robertson at RB, having a #2 WR, and inserting Jenkins, Kemoeatu, and Lewis along the DL along with Peppers, Rucker, and Wallace along the outside, not to mention taking away Hutchinson from Seattle, and you're obviously talking about different dynamics in the game right off the bat. They improved on D but quite frankly, not as much as us. Overall, I don't think our offseaon could have gone any better, it's just a matter of getting it done when and where it counts.

I agree with Foster, he's very good when healthy. He's finally #1 on the depth chart and is due some luck this year with regard to his health!

I like Dallas in the East (followed by Washington, NYG, and Philly). Well, maybe not "like", but I do think they'll win the division. It will be brutally tough for them to get a first round bye though considering they have to play the NFC South in addition to the other East teams twice.

Thanks for the welcome although I'm nothing more than your average hardcore football fan.

ctrcat said:
Thanks for the welcome although I'm nothing more than your average hardcore football fan.

You obviously haven't seen some of our other visitors! :eek:

The NFC east is going to be the most interesting division this upcoming season.How ever I do see Dallas winning the division with possibly 2 wild cards going to Washington and Philly in the playoffs.The Giants schedule is horrendous this year.The NFC south is also a very tough division with the addition of Reggie Bush.3 teams can also come out of this division as well next season.I do think its Carolina's division to lose though.

Last edited:
OK, I reserve the right to change this after final Free Agent signings and after we get feedback from training camps, but, here goes:

NFC
E Boys
W Seahawks
N Bears
S Panthers
WC Skins, Bucs

Championship: Skins at Seahawks

AFC
E Pats
W Chargers
N Bengals
S Jags (provocative choice I know, but the Colts will REALLY miss the Edge and the Jags have something to prove)
WC Colts, Broncos (the Steelers will not be back: busted Ben, no Bus, too much luck last year)

Championship: Chargers at Pats

SB: Pats over Skins

Last edited:
Skins to go (almost) all the way, eh! That's bold.

Mike the Brit said:
Skins to go (almost) all the way, eh! That's bold.

i agree and will probably change my mind before the season begins...but, here's my logic for now: the NFC East is now one of the toughest divisions in the NFL and I would argue the toughest in the NFC...so, I see the Conference champion coming out of that division...i don't see the Cowboys, whom I pick to win the division, going all the way since I firmly believe that Bledsoe will not deliver during the playoffs (could be wrong. just my opinion. but i've followed him through his entire career and this is what i think)...the giants will be tough all season, but i think that, if payme's brother is going to have a breakout year it will be next year, not this year (i live in nyc and get enough from the local press to make me think he's just not ready)...the iggles are in a post-SB, post-TO funk and need, IMO, another year to get it together (BTW, a strong argument for "playing to win the game" when a team gets to the SB, since they blew their opportunity two years ago when they had the Pats down in the first half but imploded in the second half, due, I believe, not only to the Pats superior experience and ability, but also to poor game prep and coaching on the Eagles part)

i will not call them a favourite but i think that this year could be a good year for them...
i am talking about the ARIZONA CARDINALS
i think this year they will go to the play-offs

still i consider CAR and DAL the two candidates for the NFC to win it as i mentioned at the beginning

PatsFanSince74 said:
i agree and will probably change my mind before the season begins...but, here's my logic for now: the NFC East is now one of the toughest divisions in the NFL and I would argue the toughest in the NFC...so, I see the Conference champion coming out of that division...i don't see the Cowboys, whom I pick to win the division, going all the way since I firmly believe that Bledsoe will not deliver during the playoffs (could be wrong. just my opinion. but i've followed him through his entire career and this is what i think)...the giants will be tough all season, but i think that, if payme's brother is going to have a breakout year it will be next year, not this year (i live in nyc and get enough from the local press to make me think he's just not ready)...the iggles are in a post-SB, post-TO funk and need, IMO, another year to get it together (BTW, a strong argument for "playing to win the game" when a team gets to the SB, since they blew their opportunity two years ago when they had the Pats down in the first half but imploded in the second half, due, I believe, not only to the Pats superior experience and ability, but also to poor game prep and coaching on the Eagles part)

Excellent post!

I'm with you in thinking that the NFC East is a very interesting and tough division. Winning it will be difficult, and, of course, it will be hard for whoever wins it to do it with a record that will give them home field advantage for the play-offs. But you have to balance that against the benefits that come to a team from winning against high level competition. That's why, like you, I guess that the East will have two teams in the play-offs and both could do well.

But which two?

I like your reasoning, even though I picked the other two. All four teams have knocks on them. The Dallas knock is just as you say. I don't think that Drew has a winning attitude and I doubt whether the Parcells magic still works.

I think that the Eagles will bounce back, but you can't ignore the over-dependence on Westbrook and the absence of decent wide receivers (why didn't they bid for Givens and/or Randle El?) not to mention doubts about McNabb and Reid when they have to compete at the end of important, close games.

I picked the Giants mostly out of a hunch that things were coming together and through being impressed with Eli's progress. But you know more than me there, I'm sure.

But Washington? However I think about it, I still can't persuade myself that Brunell (who used to be one of my very favourite players) can take them to the Superbowl.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how your views develop.

Mike the Brit said:
Excellent post!

I'm with you in thinking that the NFC East is a very interesting and tough division. Winning it will be difficult, and, of course, it will be hard for whoever wins it to do it with a record that will give them home field advantage for the play-offs. But you have to balance that against the benefits that come to a team from winning against high level competition. That's why, like you, I guess that the East will have two teams in the play-offs and both could do well.

But which two?

I like your reasoning, even though I picked the other two. All four teams have knocks on them. The Dallas knock is just as you say. I don't think that Drew has a winning attitude and I doubt whether the Parcells magic still works.

I think that the Eagles will bounce back, but you can't ignore the over-dependence on Westbrook and the absence of decent wide receivers (why didn't they bid for Givens and/or Randle El?) not to mention doubts about McNabb and Reid when they have to compete at the end of important, close games.

I picked the Giants mostly out of a hunch that things were coming together and through being impressed with Eli's progress. But you know more than me there, I'm sure.

But Washington? However I think about it, I still can't persuade myself that Brunell (who used to be one of my very favourite players) can take them to the Superbowl.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how your views develop.

Yeah. I was being provocative with the Skins pick and will probably back off it before the season begins, tho I'd still put them in the Playoffs.

As for the Eagles (I grew up in Philly--my dad took me to my first NFL game at Franklin Field in 1960 where I saw the last Eagle Championship Team), their schedule is Tuff. In addition to their six games within the Division, they've got the Jags, Panthers and Colts plus games against Favre and Vick, who can pull out a win on "any given (Sun)day." So, I don't think they're going to be in it this year.

Agree basically on the Cowboys when it comes to Playoff longevity, but I think they are too good not at least to make the Playoffs.

There are rumors in the NY Media of dissent re Coughlin on the Giants as well as the questions about Manning, so I think that's a volatile bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back