PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are you top 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Who are your Most impressive patriots so far this year and who are your top 5 biggest disappointing patriots so far this year?

Impressive
1) Martysaurus Rex
2) TFB (one month exile, 39, no rust...really shouldn't surprise me, but he keeps finding ways)
3) Jimmy G
4) Chris long
4b) Flowers powers
5) Elandon
Disappointing
1) Cyrus
2) Ghost
3) Amendola (injured or did he just fall down the depth chart?)
4) Malcolm Mitchell (99% sure he'll bounce back)
5) Jonathan Cooper (I know he's not with the team, but that's why)

Tom brady will always be number 1.

Number two is Mel gibson, he was really great in the patriot.

Number three came out of nowhere but its Jeffery Mace, aka the new director of shield, aka inhuman known as the patriot.

Number four is JE11 obviously

and number 5 is currently going to chris hogan, for actually catching a long bomb from the bradmeister.

brady, marty, nate solder, hogan, james white

Impressive:
1) Martellus Bennett
2) Joe Thuney
3) David Andrews (seriously why did we go back to Stork last year?)
4) Malcom Brown
5) Cannon/Fleming/James White/Chris Hogan

Disappointing:
1) Intentionally left blank
2) Intentionally left blank
3) Logan Ryan
4) Malcolm Butler
5) Dont'a Hightower

Disappointment is a tough list to come up with. The impressive list felt like it could go on forever.

I can't crap on Ghost just yet because the kick he's missed are far from automatic.
I can't crap on Jones because he's a rookie.
I felt bad including Hightower because he's probably injured.

But we're 4-1 so it's hard to be disappointed about too much.

Players that exceeded my expectations

Jimmy G
Bennett
Mason
Canon
Flemming
Hogan
Long

Disappointments

C Jones
Gost
Cooper
DBs as a group (I can't point out one starter in particular but just too many untimely players allowed in the red zone and when they mostly play well which is frustrating).

impressive:
Bennett
Garoppolo
Malcolm Brown
Solder
Thuney

Disppointing:
Logan Ryan
Cooper
Cyrus Jones
Mclellin
Jordan Richard

re Ghost: kickers go through rough patches.....he will come around

Elandon Roberts? please.......the guy got an extended look in garbage time

I'm going to use impressive in the context of exceeding expectations and disappointed as not meeting expectations

Impressive:
1) Jimmy G - yeah, it was disappointing he got injured but I don't think anybody expected him to look that good. He looked like he belonged and could very well net us some top notch draft capital this upcoming offseason

2) Marty B - guy has been an even better teammate than he has been a player, which is saying something. Re-sign him asap

3) Thuney - Has been a huge contributor in stabilizing the line. Not bad for a 3rd round rookie.

4) Hogan - great signing. Guy is always open and has proven that he can get behind a defense, something that we will need in the playoffs

5) Blount - lots of people wanted him out of town and he has proven that with a somewhat competent line he can still be a very effective back

Disappointing:
1) Gost - he better wake up, and quick.

2) Butler - he hasn't had a bad year by any means but I don't think he's made the consistent progression that most of us expected him to do.

3) Edelman - again, he hasn't been bad and his (lack) of production so far is obviously tied to JB being the QB for 2.5 games but he hasn't looked as sharp over the first 5 games.

4) McClellin - not many people liked this signing but for his contract, he should be contributing. It's a long season and hopefully he turns it around

5) Brady - how do you only throw for 400+ yards in your first game back? You had all that time to scout the Browns and you throw 12 incompletions? ;)

Above and Beyond:

1) Bennett.....Gronk who?
2) Blount.... best value in football
3) Brown .... so solid
4) Jimmy G ...6 quarters and a pot of gold to come
5) Ryan Allen .....punters are football players too

Yikes:

1) Kavin Krafty .... Goodell's *****
2) C Jones ....sorry kid......it can be a cruel world outside of Bama
3A) Matt Patricia.....the bend and break defense is back baby
3B) Secondary... I'm hoping Patricia lets youse guys play some man coverage one of these days
3C) Pass rush... How not to sack QBs: Send in 3 DL and have them lock up with O linemen on 3rd and long

Note: Patricia's defense is #1 in points against but the bend defense will break against better quality offenses....and it stings the nostrils

Last edited:
Most impressive:

1. Jimmy G.
2. Marty B.
3. Chris Long
4. 2016 draft class other than C. Jones.
5. Brown
6. Fleming
7. Allen
8. Flowers
9. Hogan
10. Blount

Disappointments:

1. Cyrus J.
2. Stephen G.
3 Justin C.
4. Jonathan C.
5. A.J.D.

1) Brady - it only took 1 game to show how valuable is, and the fact that he came back with zero rust is pretty remarkable.
2) Blount - He carried the offense while Brissett was in.
3) Bennett - He carried the load while Gronk was out, and feasted on the attention Gronk got when he came back.
4) Solder - Huge improvement from last year. Been a beast in the running and passing game.
5) Sheard - He's been our best pass rusher, and has also been versatile all around.
Honorable mentions to Garoppolo for submitting 6 strong quarters and Allen for punting the **** out of the ball. Another honorable mention to Gronk while we're at it, he's done everything.

Disappointing:
1) Gostkowski - Needs to be more reliable for the money he's making
2) Cyrus Jones - I wasn't expecting a ton from him as a corner this year, but it's very disappointing that he lost the PR job. I hate seeing Edelman back there.
3) Cannon - Didn't play this week, but prior to that he started really badly and, while he had rebounded somewhat, he was still looking like a liability on the line.
4) Butler - Not totally fair, maybe. He hasn't been bad, just hasn't made the leap I was hoping he would make.
5) Collins - again, maybe a product of unfair expectations. He played an amazing game against Houston, but I was hoping this would be the year that he'd bring it every week and establish himself as one of the very best defensive players in the game. The consistency hasn't shown up yet.
I'd give a dishonorable mention to Cooper if he even counts; failing to get on the field has to be a negative. Another one to McClellin, who just... isn't good.

Last edited:
yall really underselling mel gibson right now.

I am going to stay away from players who should be impressive like TB and Blount and stick with players that have exceeded our expectations and players that are performing below their usual standards.

Top 5 impressive performances.

1: Bennett. When Bennett sprained his ankle, hobbled off the field and came back to play like he did, I thought now that guy is a Patriot. I've sprained my ankle before and I couldn't put any weight on it

2: Thuney. LG has been in flux since Mankins left. It looks like we finally have a long term replacement.

3: Brown. I was a big Wilfork fan but Brown is coming into his own and is looking good.

4: Garappolo. Sadly we didn't get to see him play all 4 games but in the 2 games he did play, he looked impressive.

5: Flemming. For being a swing tackle, I see no drop in performance when he is out there. So far he can hold his own.

Top 5 disappoinments.

1: Ghost. Statistically he is having one of his worst seasons ever but it looks like he is not missing by much so hopefully he can find the groove again.

2: Cyrus Jones. I hate to give a rookie a bad grade but Jones is making too many mistakes. He is slowly turning himself into a bench warmer.

3: Ryan. It just seems to me that teams are now targeting Ryan and he is struggling a bit but the secondary as a whole are doing a good job. I just think Ryan is not playing up to his usual standards which is pretty high to begin with.

4: Gronk. I know it's all because of his hamstring injury but not having Gronk out there has been a disappoinment. Finally in the 5th game, I get to see what I have been looking forward all season long. Gronk and Bennett being the dynamic duo I thought they would be,

5: Cooper. The Patriots kept him on the 53 man roster. It's a disappoinment that he couldn't even manage to land a spot as a backup guard.

It's telling that everybody has no trouble doing the 5 most impressive players but are struggling to find the 5 most disappoinments.

Top 5:
1. Bennett
2. Hogan
3. Thuney
4. Allen
5. Blount

Bottom 5:

Can't think of many for bottom 5 but put Gostkowski, Logan Ryan in it

IMPRESSIVE:

The whole OLine. Seriously, so we remember how atrocious they were last season. Coaching really is an art.

LG. He's looked like one of the best in the league so far.

Bennett is incredible.

Long is close to the top in QB pressures in the whole league.

Brady just because he's Brady.

Hogan is what we thought he'd be.

DISAPPOINTMENT:

Ryan is one. He has not played well mostly. I gave him a pass with Fitz because, well, he's Fitz. But he's just too inconsistent. I haven't looked at numbers, but my eyes tell me he's given up more third diem receptions than anyone one the team. And I think teams are realizing it more now.

Malcolm Butler has looked different to me and not in a good way. He hasn't been terrible. He just doesn't seem focused on some plays, even before he tweaked the knee.

High's continued battles with injuries.

Cy Jones. ST's doesn't look at all more dynamic. But I know he's learning.

Gost. I don't know what changed, but it feels different watching him now.

Over the first 5 games
Jimmy G - exceeded expectations
Brady - 1 game and he shows he's the GOAT
Brown - a beast
Butler - He's so valuable to this team
Blount - very consistent

We're 4-1, with backup QBs this team will get even more dominant.

I have to defend Butler, how many yards has he allowed in coverage. He's not creating turnovers, but those will come

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes