PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are you excited to watch at the Senior Bowl?

Manx on Manx bloodletting

Sounds like Jason Spriggs is having a good start to the week. I think his fans will be left disappointed - I doubt he falls to our first pick.

And Kyle Murphy doing his best Vollmer/Cannon impersonation against Carl Nassib:

I am not sold on the idea that Miller wont be there for us. He will show incredibly well in this process, but the scouts will have a hard time bumping guys down for him. We have to remember, WR is one of the deepest positions this year, and much of the talent are underclassmen.

If he went in the first, I would congratulate him, but i cant imagine a team taking that big of a risk on a player with so little tape. Talent or not, most teams cannot afford to take home run swings on underutilized players.

I am not sold on the idea that Miller wont be there for us. He will show incredibly well in this process, but the scouts will have a hard time bumping guys down for him. We have to remember, WR is one of the deepest positions this year, and much of the talent are underclassmen.

If he went in the first, I would congratulate him, but i cant imagine a team taking that big of a risk on a player with so little tape. Talent or not, most teams cannot afford to take home run swings on underutilized players.

I'm afraid I disagree. I think the only thing that'll check Miller's rise up draft boards is if he show's ball handling issues. A couple of drops in the Senior Bowl game and drops in combine drills. He's now shown that he has the athleticism and the ability to run excellent routes. The only real question mark is how well he catches the ball. Team interviews/white board work might be key too but he's a former QB so will probably be fine there.

I hate this part of the draft. You find someone you really like and then watch them disappear beyond any realistic hope of drafting them.

I just cant think of a skill position with such low production going first round. I agree with everything you said, but if it comes down to a decision between Doctson or Miller, I just cant imagine the team taking the guy with 500 career receiving yards.

That may not be the best judge, but GMs dont usually gamble big on unproven guys.

I just cant think of a skill position with such low production going first round. I agree with everything you said, but if it comes down to a decision between Doctson or Miller, I just cant imagine the team taking the guy with 500 career receiving yards.

That may not be the best judge, but GMs dont usually gamble big on unproven guys.

Like Ziggy Ansah? :) Or Cordarelle Patterson?

I like Doctson and I can see him being preferred over Miller. But what about Corey Coleman and his limited route tree or Will Fuller and his drops. Are they that much safer than Miller? I think the average number of first round WRs the last few years is 5-6 and there are currently only one absolute certainty for the first round in Treadwell (some might think Michael Thomas too). I think the later first round WR group is very much in flux. And we always see late risers at this time of year. Remember Phillip Dorsett and Breshad Perriman.

That is definitely true. This draft will see lots of teams being able to choose what they like. There is a ver large second group, where Miller could rocket up the rankings.

I think the only ones I would put clearly in front of him
treadwell
thomas
boyd
and possibly shephard

Doctson should as well, and I think higher of Coleman than you, but thats a minor quibble.

So, I definitely see Miller being a guy who will do well in the testing phase, I just see him topping out at the beginning of round 2.

That is definitely true. This draft will see lots of teams being able to choose what they like. There is a ver large second group, where Miller could rocket up the rankings.

I think the only ones I would put clearly in front of him
treadwell
thomas
boyd
and possibly shephard

Doctson should as well, and I think higher of Coleman than you, but thats a minor quibble.

So, I definitely see Miller being a guy who will do well in the testing phase, I just see him topping out at the beginning of round 2.

My worry is more where he bottoms out and I'm becoming increasingly sure that'll be ahead of where we pick. Two more data points to consider. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Dane Brugler have Miller in their top 50s. They're speaking to scouts all the time so I imagine they know what scouts are thinking about these guys.

Purely as a point of debate and not vehement disagreement, I think Miller goes higher than Boyd and Shepherd. Both are very good but lack the upside that Miller has. They are now who they'll always be - excellent possession type receivers but not game-breakers. And whilst I agree that Thomas likely goes higher, I don't really see what the fuss is about. Another I'll need to rewatch.

We are on the same page for this. Treadwell I absolutely love, but I have question marks on the rest.

I think Miller is probably only after Treadwell, Doctson and Jalin Marshall in terms of upside. The big strike he will have working against him will be age and production. Some will rate those two issues higher than others.

Also, I am excited for the Jalin Marshall hype train to start warming up. Thats a guy who will do extremely well in this season as well, and I think he should be really intriguing for us as well.

Darian Thompson is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Outside of the Pats talking to him, he seems to represent all the things we talk about. Smart, instinctive, playmaker, and, I am not making this up, his personal mantra is "do your job"

If hes still there in the 2nd, could be the annual board flamewar about a safety being chosen.

Definitely going first round if he achieves this:

Darian Thompson is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Outside of the Pats talking to him, he seems to represent all the things we talk about. Smart, instinctive, playmaker, and, I am not making this up, his personal mantra is "do your job"

If hes still there in the 2nd, could be the annual board flamewar about a safety being chosen.

Fletch, don't even kid about that.

Colts will take him with their first pick.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Eagles Home

Sounds like Braxton Miller went from having a 3rd rd grade, to moving up as an early second rounder.

Also Noah Spence....very intriguing. Im wondering if he'll be there when we make our first pick..

Eagles Home

Sounds like Braxton Miller went from having a 3rd rd grade, to moving up as an early second rounder.

Also Noah Spence....very intriguing. Im wondering if he'll be there when we make our first pick..

Sorry but no chance. He's the best pass rusher in a bad pass rushing class. Unless he interviews badly, he'll probably go top 10. And if he doesn't, I don't see any way he falls past the Jets or Cards.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back