Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who are we? (sticky?)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by dryheat44, Mar 2, 2006.

1. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Who are we?

Maybe we should have a thread to identify ourselves, so on those rare occasions we have civilized debate, we know where the players are coming from. For example, my cheat sheet would read:

White Male
    Grew up in: Massachusetts
    Registered Party: Independent
    Military Experience: None. Tried, medically disqualified.
    Pro-Choice
    Support equal rights for gays, but should be a state issue
    Pro-Capital Punishment for Violent Criminals
    Support legalization of all drugs
    Less power to Federal Govt. More to states.
    O.K. with higher taxes, provided they go to the public good.
    Anti-War in Iraq
    Anti-Patriot act
    Pro-Gun control for semi-automatic and automatic weapons.
    Refuse to give up civil liberties in the name of security
    Pro-neutrality in the Middle East.
    Pro-major election reform.
    Anti George Wrong Bush...worst president ever

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I am also a white male, of English and Irish descent (first generation unlike you Plastic Paddies), raised in Manchester, now living in London (not all that dissimilar from abandoning Boston for New Yoik).
    Similar opinions to above.
    I was actually pro war as I bought the propaganda. Now that we are there, I don't see how we can pull out at the moment.
    I have no Military experience as I am a lousy fighter, weigh 280lbs (and share Ted Washington's physique), hate loud bangs, being killed and shouted at. I also look cr*p in khaki. Miss Gomezcat would like me to point out that my combat experience extends to play fighting with her (she wins even though I have done some restraint training- in another life, she would have been a nasty inside linebacker or headhunting strong safety) and the eponymous Gomez, who has a tendency to swipe people with his paw from their blindside.

I work for a charity supporting vulnerable people to live in social housing in the poorest part of the country.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good idea, Dryheat! (I'm using your post as a template.)

Nordic-Slavic mix (white male)
    Grew up in: Washington State, near Seattle
    Registered Party: Republican
    Military Experience: 3 years Army Reserves, 6 years active Navy, 9 1/2 years Marine Corps
    Anti-abortion in almost all cases -- the unborn human is human, and should be treated as such
    Support equal rights for gays (except for marriage, which I believe is a historical/social institution that should not be arbitrarily redefined)
    Pro-Capital Punishment for violent criminals and sex criminals, and perhaps others
    Oppose legalization of most drugs, but support medical use of marijuana
    Less power to Federal Govt, more to states, in most cases
    Pro-flat tax (but would support a consumption tax), believe taxes must be fair
    Believe war/democratization in Iraq is worthwhile and will be successful
    Believe Patriot act is necessary
    Believe our borders should be secured and protected with a large wall and lots of uniformed guys with guns
    Pro-legal immigration, anti-illegal immigration, and believe we should bill Mexico for health care, education and imprisonment of illegals
    Pro-strict regulation of automatic weapons and other class III destructive devices, anti-gun control in all other cases
    Believe we must support our allies (in the Middle East and elsewhere), if we wish to have allies in the future
    Pro-election reform (pro-paper ballots)
    Pro-education reform (pro-vouchers, but open to other ideas as well)
    Pro-Social Security reform (pro-private accounts -- the current pyramid structure must be scrapped)
    Pro-tort reform
    Pro-environmental regulation reform (I'm all for clean air and water and soil, but some regulations are extreme and need to be changed)
    Pro-drilling in Alaska, offshore, where-ever else we have oil deposits, pro-weaning ourselves from foreign oil
    Pro-alternative energy, but I'm for letting the market drive it
    Pro-nuclear power
    Support President Bush, but not unilaterally -- I believe he has made many mistakes
    Believe that until the Democrats re-evaluate themselves, they won't be able to beat someone like Bush

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

Harry Boy

1 Ex Democrat

2 Now a Neo Con

5. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

American
    Grew up in: Central Massachusetts
    Registered Party: Republican
    Military Experience: 12 Year US Air Force
    • Anti-Abortion but still Pro-Choice (my personal views don't give me the right to take a choice this serious from the individual)
    • Support equal rights for gays (including marriage, which I believe is a simple contract between consenting adults. Let the churches worry about their eternal souls.)
    • Pro-Capital Punishment for violent criminals and sex criminals, and perhaps others
    • Either legalize drugs or effectively combat the drug trade. This middle-of-the-road garbage doesn't work.
    • Less power to Federal Govt, more to states, in most cases
    • Pro-flat tax (or would support a consumption tax), believe taxes must be fair
    • Believe war/democratization in Iraq is worthwhile and will be successful
    • Believe Patriot act is necessary
    • Believe our borders should be secured and protected with a large wall and lots of uniformed guys with guns
    • Pro-legal immigration, anti-illegal immigration, and believe we should bill Mexico for health care, education and imprisonment of illegals
    • Pro-strict regulation of automatic weapons and other class III destructive devices, anti-gun control in all other cases
    • Believe we must support our allies, if we wish to have allies in the future
    • Believe we will never have a true ally in the Middle East, but can have a working relationship that is beneficial to all parties.
    • Believe that Islam must go, quietly or kicking and screaming, it has no place in modern society.
    • Pro-election reform (automate the system - we have the technology)
    • Pro-education reform (pro-vouchers, but open to other ideas as well)
    • Pro-Social Security dismantling - private investments return more to the individual
    • Pro-tort reform
    • Pro-environmental regulation reform (I'm all for clean air and water and soil, but some regulations are extreme and need to be changed)
    • Pro-drilling in Alaska, offshore, where-ever else we have oil deposits
    • Pro-weaning ourselves from foreign oil
    • Pro-alternative energy, but I'm for letting the market drive it
    • Pro-nuclear power
    • Anti-UN - at the least the US should withdraw. At the most we should see it disbanded
    • While I believe the freedoms granted us by the Bill of Rights are what makes this country great, I also feel we as a nation have lost our way. We no longer accept, or even acknowledge, the responsibilities that go with these freedoms. The press abuses its freedoms with irresponsible reporting, and individuals refuse to consider the possibility the in exercising their rights, they are impinging on the rights of others.

(some plagiarizing, I know. Blue Talon expressed my own views well enough not to change some of them.)

6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, My turn
    Shirtsleeve, lifelong Pats Fan
    Male
    Age 44
    White, of Italian heritage.
    Raised in North Central Ma. Lived for years in Nirvana, er, NH, but now reside in the People's Republic again.
    No military service-medical disqualification.
    No Political party affiliation. They've sold us out.

-Anti free-trade,anti globalist in every form. Extreme nationalist-protectionist. I see this as the single biggest threat to the country today, not terrorism.
    -Pro separation of church and state. Completely and entirely. Including all references to god, prayer in school, holiday celebrations, etc. Jefferson said we must build a wall between our government and the church. I agree. This means banning ALL marraiges. Issue civil licenses for all partners to equally protect rights. Marraige is a religious ceremony. Keep it in the church.
    -Anti-Abortion but still Pro-Choice until conception occurs. This includes the new emergency drugs post coitus-pre conception.
    -Support equal rights for gays.
    -Anti Capital Punishment. One innocent man executed makes me a murderer.
    -Pro legalizing drugs, prostitution, gambling, polygamy, and any other "vice" crime.
    -Less power to Federal Govt, more to states, in all cases except the military.
    -Pro-flat tax (or would support a consumption tax).
    -Believe war in Iraq is a necessary evil, brought on by Israeli pressure, and requires a completion.
    -Believe Patriot act is unconstitutional.
    -Believe our borders should be secured and protected with a large wall and lots of uniformed guys with guns
    -Pro-legal immigration, anti-illegal immigration, and believe we should bill Mexico for health care, education and imprisonment of illegals.
    -Anti-gun control in all cases. Even classIII and military ordnance. The 2nd ammendment was written to allow us the opportunity to overthrow any government that no longer functioned democratically.
    -Believe we must support our allies, if we wish to have allies in the future.
    -Believe we will never have a true ally in the Middle East, but can have a working relationship that is beneficial to all parties.
    -Believe that Fundamentalist radical Islam must go, quietly or kicking and screaming, it has no place in modern society. The same can be said for Fundamentalist radical Christians. Believe that all people should be able to peacefully practice their faith without persecution.
    -Pro-election reform (automate the system - we have the technology)
    -Pro-education reform (pro-vouchers, but open to other ideas as well)
    -Pro-Social Security dismantling - private investments return more to the individual
    -Pro-tort reform. Especially where medical malpractice is concerned.
    -Pro-environmental regulation reform (I'm all for clean air and water and soil, but some regulations are extreme and need to be changed)
    -Pro-drilling in Alaska, offshore, where-ever else we have oil deposits
    -Pro-weaning ourselves from foreign oil
    -Pro-alternative energy, but I'm for letting the market drive it
    -Pro-nuclear power
    Anti-UN - at the least the US should withdraw. At the most we should see it disbanded.
    -I believe the freedoms granted us by the Bill of Rights are what makes this country great. While this may cause some moral negatives, our system is not based on legislating morality. We must preserve these basic rights as written at all costs, or we fail as a nation.
    -Against socialized medicine. Against almost all social programs in general. The government has proven itself an inept failure at supporting the lower classes.

I used Talons template and adjusted it to reflect my views. :)

7. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Age 39
    White
    Born/Raised - Albany, Georgia
    Occupation - Lawyer
    Political Affiliatin - Republican Party
    Group Memberships - The Heritage Foundation, NRA, Boy Scouts of America
    Pro Life
    Pro Death Penalty
    For Domestic Oil Exploration
    For Patriot Act

8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,107 / 22 / -13

Disable Jersey

Scotch-Irish (white male)
    Born 1945
    Grandfather
    Height & weight of Pats WR corps; just retired from b-ball league
    Amateur astronomer
    Anti -semite (Gotcha!)
    Grew up in: Arlington & Winchester MA
    Degrees in engineering and business
    Registered Party: IND
    Former Town Campaign Chairman for various Democratic candidates...e.g. John Kerry (everyone is allowed one egregious error), George McGovern, Paul Tsongas (Makes up for Kerry)
    Former Town Finance Committee Chairman
    Military Experience: Nominated by Tip O'Neil to Air Force Academy; rejected (asthma, back then there were no inhalers, etc.); astronaut career aborted
    Don't like abortion; have problems telling others what they cannot do
    Support equal rights for gays; would personally prefer that gay marriage, which I believe is a historical/social institution that should not be arbitrarily redefined, should be given a different name
    Pro-Capital Punishment for violent criminals and sex criminals, maybe others with reservations about assurance of actual guilt
    Support legalization of most drugs
    Less power to Federal Govt, more to states, except for national security
    Pro Fair Tax; believe taxes must be fair
    Believe war/democratization in Middle East is worthwhile and has a chance to be successful
    Believe Islamism is a serious threat to the West
    Believe Patriot act is necessary pro tem
    Believe our borders should be secured and protected with a large wall and lots of uniformed guys with guns
    Pro increased legal immigration; anti-illegal immigration
    Pro-strict regulation of automatic weapons and other class III destructive devices; anti-gun control in all other cases
    Believe we must support our allies (in the Middle East and elsewhere), if we wish to have allies in the future
    Pro-education reform (pro-vouchers; open to other ideas as well)
    Pro-Social Security reform (pro-private accounts -- the current pyramid structure must be scrapped)
    Pro-tort reform
    Pro-environmental regulation reform (I'm all for clean air and water and soil, but some regulations are extreme and need to be changed)
    Pro-drilling in Alaska, offshore, where-ever else we have oil deposits, pro-weaning ourselves from foreign oil
    Pro-alternative energy; would support govt incentives in addition to market
    Pro-nuclear power, R&D credits for a hydrogen economy & methane clathrate mining
    Support President Bush's actions but not unilaterally -- my differences documented here ad nauseum
    Believe that until the Democrats return to sanity they're lost, re: White House

9. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

White male, pure half breed (Irish Dad Italian Mom)
    born in Boston, white flighted it to the South Shore in '72
    left Mass for college (Syracuse '87 F&*$kin Kieth Smart)
    taught Jr High, Dukakis ran for President, left state for good.
    Lived in NYC, now in Savannah, GA
    Profession- "Jack-Booted Thug" aka Federal Agent
    was the only kid in my 7th grade class to vote for Gerald Ford in the mock Presidential election (I think we can all see now, how right I was).
    Worked on campaigns for GOP state Rep back in Mass, and AL Haig for President! Already contacted Newt to work for him.
    Stances:
    The governemt does nothing right, or efficent, so I'm all for limited government (except for My job, of course)
    Less Taxes always (see above)
    Drill in the artic.
    Annex Western Canda while we're at it too!
    Islam is a grave danger to this world, and unless the moderate muslims begin to seperate themselves from the lunatics, the world is going to have a hell of a fight on our hands.
    PRO: school vouchers, privitazation of socail security, shut down the borders, kick everyone out!, guest farm worker program (making them pay a 20% flat federal tax rate), tort reform, (England has loser pays, and it has yet to fall off into oblivion), nuclear power (anyone who had to pay those ridiculous LILCO rates on Long Island, because some old 60's hippies got an LSD flashback and closed down a perfectly good noo-cle-air power plant feels the same way). England, and I have at least three people on death row that I would like to throw the switch on.
    ANTI: Universal Healthcare (I like having teeth), Colts, Jets, France, Palestine (dumbest idea ever! given into to terrorists), Any tax increase and or social welfare program (get a job), union, NAMBLA, NEA (notice who easily the two of them go together), gun control (I have NEVER arrested anyone who used a legally purchased gun in for any crime, if guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns).

I have a deep and profound respect for: anyone, yes even NEM, who has every served in this country's military (I have not), my father, my wife, BB.

I absolutely loathe: college professors, any senator from Mass who's last name starts with "KE", Hillary, Bill, Billy Bulger, (yet not Whitey, because afterall at least he didn't pretend to not be a criminal, see ya at spring training Whitey), Rap music, people who can not laugh at themsleves.

10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I never realised that the loser doesn't pay in civil actions in the US. I agree that it works, as those cases without any merit don't get to court and malicious actions get punished.
    I find your answer about gun crime very interesting, i.e. that you have never arrested anyone who held a gun legally. Our gun laws were made even more strict after two massacres involving gun club members (I think). That said, anyone who wants to get a gun here, can speak to their local crim and get one.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

TED,
    GOOD FOR YOU, I'M PROUD TO HAVE YOU TAKE ME TO THE WOODSHED FOR SOME OF THE CRAP I POST ON HERE. THERE ARE MANY LIKE YOU IN AMERICA BUT IT IS ONLY THE (RECTUM HOLES) THAT MAKE THE NEWS. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.
    PS,
    I MET THE (REAL TED W.) AT THE OLD "RICHARDS DRIVE IN" ON MEMORIAL DRIVE IN CAMBRIDGE RIGHT AFTER THE KOREAN WAR, SEVERAL OF US STOOD IN THE PARKING LOT FOR TEN MINUTES OR SO TALKING WITH HIM, A VERY HUMBLE NICE GUY, "I THOUGHT".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

I've been to a lot of them in Quincy, I used to deliver auto parts to Granite Chev, Pomano Mtrs, Fratus Garage and No Quincy Gar (Chev) that was a whole other era. We used to go Clam Digging at Wollaston Beach Sat mornings than sit in a back yard in cambridge drinking beer and eating steamed clams till the sun came up. (Patters if you read this we had FIVE black guys from our corner that were in there eating clams with us)

Great Days.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

The Clambox, yes, there was one that my wife and I used to drive to from Cambridge, I forget the name of it, I had an old 32 Ford with a Rumble seat, driving from Cambridge to Quincy was like going to Canada today with the old cars. The Clams were everywhere on that beach, I don't imagine you can do that today though?

14. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

This is an outstanding example of bipartisan hijacking of a thread.

Oh, and I was also a big fan of the 'box. My Uncle Nick lives at Wollaston.

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm 36 and have lived most of my life in Brighton. That's a section of Boston for all of you out-of staters, btw, near the restaurant that's been mentioned here recently. I would prefer to eat dirt before seafood so I can't say I've ever been there though. I have a Bachelor's degree and was well on my way to a career flying for an airline when some minor health problems forced a change in plans. I'm not particularly unhealthy, but the airlines are a fussy bunch.

Right now I subcontract for a couple of different flooring companies and work all over eastern MA. Its basically about 1/2 way between being employed and being self-employed. I plan to get the rest of the way to self-employed in the next year or so.

16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

35, white male, no criminal record, pro-choice, pro-gun, pro-environment, anti-government (in general, but times are changing, unfortunately),

Vote independantly...have never voted straight ticket. My favorite Republicans are Ron Paul in the House and possibly Susan Collins in the Senate. Favorite Dems: currently Russ Feingold and possibly John Conyers.

Originally from Maine, now in Seacoast NH. I too love the NE coastline. This is why I came back from my 6+ years down south. I love clams and lobster and just about every other foodstuff I can pull from the ocean. I prefer it cooked, but have always had an exception for oysters (the libido thing; why is this going to food??? Must be hungry). I protested the Seabrook Nuke plant and saw my friends hauled off to the pokey for it- never went that far myself. I'm still anti-nuclear power, in general, but am more in favor of it as I meet more people and hear their opinions.

Feel we need more independants- both parties suck bigtime. Ross Perot was right on virtually everything economic. Met Bill Clinton in person, shook his hand in 1991...wasn't impressed and have never voted for him. Told him to end the drug war, a war of america on america...he nodded, and never really gave a schit.

Fiscal conservative and social progressive. Don't care for labels and pigeonholes.

Strictly and firmly pro-separation of church and state. Our country is great because of religious freedom- which means freedom for all, keep church issues out of the government. Lets keep it that way.

Most important issue today? Ending fossil fuel dependance, and was blasted for this position in 1990, in the lead up to the first Gulf War, which I also protested and got snowballed by rednecks for doing so. The solution to our energy woes? No, the answer is not more nukes. The answer is over our heads like the light bulb in cartoons.

17. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

PatsWickedpissah is also from Seacoast NH.

You two should get together some time.

18. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Using Talon's template of a template

Occupation: Police Officer (13 years/9 on the Tactical team (SWAT))
    Grew up in: Cape Cod
    Registered Party: Independant
    Military Experience: None, signed up for the Marines at 17 but parents wouldn't sign, one of the few "regrets" I have, but went to school instead.
    Pro-Choice
    Support equal rights for gays (except for marriage, which I believe is a historical/social institution that should not be arbitrarily redefined)
    Pro-Capital Punishment for violent criminals and sex criminals, and perhaps others
    Oppose legalization of drugs, but support medical use of marijuana if they use the pill form available.
    Less power to Federal Govt, more to states, in most cases
    Believe war/democratization in Iraq is worthwhile and will be successful
    Believe Patriot act is necessary
    Pro-legal immigration, anti-illegal immigration, and believe we should bill Mexico for health care, education and imprisonment of illegals
    Pro-strict regulation of automatic weapons and other class III destructive devices, Also Pro Assualt weapon ban, but don't have the answers that balance ones right to bear arms and allowing idiots to have guns. (Unlike FTW I have arrested many people for crimes with legally purchased firearms...maybe the difference between the federal and local level) Definitely don't only want the bad guys to have guns but wish there was a common sense test before you could own one.
    Pro-education reform (pro-vouchers, but open to other ideas as well)
    Pro-trt reform....YES
    Pro-alternative energy, but I'm for letting the market drive it
    Pro-nuclear power
    Support President Bush, but not unilaterally -- I believe he has made many mistakes
    Believe that until the Democrats re-evaluate themselves, they won't be able to beat someone like Bush

19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 15 / -13

White American, 49, atheist, gay and married, born in the Bronx, live in Cambridge, Democrat, liberal, no military (would have been a Conscientious Objector rather than go to Vietnam).

Abortion: Pro-choice
    Affirmative action: For it, but quota systems are unnecessary as long as anti-discrimination laws on on the books
    Biggest problem in the world: Dishonesty. That's where all bad things start.
    Capital punishment:Anti capital punishment except for people who wield power behind bars (such as someone like Saddam Hussein)
    Drugs:Legalize marijuana and the like; do not legalize more addictive drugs such as heroin and cocaine
    Education: Anti-voucher. Public ed has worked very well; let's not implement a voucher system that will cost public education and punish the students who can't afford private school even with vouchers. Support alternative schools
    Election reform: Less technology, more human involvement. Turn elections back into a civic duty
    Energy: For nuclear energy and believe we should invest heavily in alternative fuels
    Gay rights: Pro gay rights and marriage
    Global warming: It's for real
    Government: The only reason government looks bad is because it's fairly open. On a per capita basis, I think corporations are just as good or bad as government. Big government works best if it's as open as possible and if the people in charge are held to a higher standard than the rest of us.
    Guns: Strict gun registration laws and severe penalties for breaking gun laws; other than that, let local communities should set their own gun laws, and rely on a police perspective as to specific types of guns to restrict
    Health care: National health care, with supplemental private health care for those who can afford it
    Immigration: Do what's necessary to prevent illegal immigration; at the same time, increase the number of legal immigrants and grant an amnesty to many current illegals if they have not committed any crimes
    Intelligent Design: It's nonsense
    Iraq: Terrible war; believe it's driven by economics more than security, compassion, or revenge
    Religion: Separation of church and state. Rigid religions and ideologies are the basis for all wars, including the war on Iraq
    Liberalism: I'm a liberal because I think our society must be focused on giving kids equal opportunities, a safe environment, good education, and so on.
    Taxes: Progressive income tax, which is really just a way to base taxes on disposable income
    Social Security: Keep it like it is, but increase the age at which one gets benefits and the maximum amount subject to SS taxes
    Tort reform: Tort reform as used by Republicans means denying ordinary people the opportunity to sue corporations for a lot of money. Since the only pain corporations understand is money, I oppose this so-called tort reform.

20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks, but I still try to avoid Seabrook. :D