PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are the "starting" 3-4 Defensive Ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC00

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Or is just going to be a game plan specific rotation of Chris Jones, Easley, Vellano*, Worthy*, and Moore*?

*If on the 53-man

Think it will depend.

A run heavy team like the Vikings first up might be more:
Siliga-Wilfork-Vellano

A more pass happy team like the Lions might be more:
Easley-Wilfork-Chris jones

Wilfork can play end in a 3-4 also...

Think it will depend.

A run heavy team like the Vikings first up might be more:
Siliga-Wilfork-Vellano

A more pass happy team like the Lions might be more:
Easley-Wilfork-Chris jones
I would expect them to move Wilfork to DE and use Siliga at the NT position as they did when Kyle Love was around.

What have people seen in Chris Jones, Joe Vellano and Sealver Siliga that leads them to the belief that all 3 are more than depth players? Are posters expecting the second year WR jump from all 3?

We haven't had enough exposure to Jerel Worthy, Dominique Easley or Zach Moore to properly discuss their prospects of starting. I would have preferred to keep Kelly as an insurance play allowing Easley to develop at a reasonable rate.

Last edited:
What have people seen in Chris Jones, Joe Vellano and Sealver Siliga that leads them to the belief that all 3 are more than depth players? Are posters expecting the second year WR jump from all 3?

Siliga was good last season down the stretch.

Chris Jones would probably be better suited to being used in a rotation and Vellano...well BB likes him so that should be enough for us.

We haven't had enough exposure to Jerel Worthy, Dominique Easley or Zach Moore to properly discuss their prospects of starting. I would have preferred to keep Kelly as an insurance play allowing Easley to develop at a reasonable rate.

Siliga, Chris Jones, and Vellano were our DT's last year on a #10 scoring defense. How many should we keep? Last year, we started with 4, including AJ Francis. Let's see why I am not worried about pour situation at DT.

1) The three from last year are all now more experienced in the system.

2) We have a much better secondary which will help the inside pass rush.

3) We now have Wilfork.

4) We now have Easley.

5) We also have Worthy instead of Vellano if we want, or in addition. I think that we'll keep 2 of Moore, Bequette, Worthy and Vellano.

Siliga, Chris Jones, and Vellano were our DT's last year on a #10 scoring defense. How many should we keep? Last year, we started with 4, including AJ Francis. Let's see why I am not worried about pour situation at DT.

1) The three from last year are all now more experienced in the system.

2) We have a much better secondary which will help the inside pass rush.

3) We now have Wilfork.

4) We now have Easley.

5) We also have Worthy instead of Vellano if we want, or in addition. I think that we'll keep 2 of Moore, Bequette, Worthy and Vellano.
I'm of the opinion that their performances although timely, are extremely overrated by members of this board @mgteich.

I'm happy to concede the return of Wilfork, I'm hopeful regarding Easley, we haven't had enough exposure to Worthy to make an informed opinion but still, that looks paper thin.

I'm of the opinion that their performances although timely, are extremely overrated by members of this board @mgteich.

I'm happy to concede the return of Wilfork, I'm hopeful regarding Easley, we haven't had enough exposure to Worthy to make an informed opinion but still, that looks paper thin.

I would have been able to agree with you except for the opinion of a fellow whom I respect. A guy named Belichick disagrees with you, so I side with him.

The old timers are dwindling down to a precious few. Brady, Wilfork, Mankins and Connolly. That is hardly a single draft of replacements needed, but there are already candidates vying for jobs behind everyone, save Mankins.

I would have been able to agree with you except for the opinion of a fellow whom I respect. A guy named Belichick disagrees with you, so I side with him.

The old timers are dwindling down to a precious few. Brady, Wilfork, Mankins and Connolly. That is hardly a single draft of replacements needed, but there are already candidates vying for jobs behind everyone, save Mankins.
I'm more than happy to acknowledge Belichick forgets more about football than most learn but even he, from time to time, makes a complete mess of a unit.

I hope all the players on the Defensive Line go on to have career years. Truly, I do.

What have people seen in Chris Jones, Joe Vellano and Sealver Siliga that leads them to the belief that all 3 are more than depth players?

As first year players, they were the starting defensive linemen on a team that made it to the AFC Championship game. They are experienced NFL starters. That's the silver lining from last year's injuries.

Now, add Vince Wilfork and 1st round draft pick Easley and 2nd round draft pick Worthy. That's a pretty solid group of young players and one excellent veteran leader.

I would expect Belichick to rotate guys in and out of the game like crazy. He's got the horses to keep fresh legs in the game. (See Seattle Seahawks....)

As first year players, they were the starting defensive linemen on a team that made it to the AFC Championship game. They are experienced NFL starters. That's the silver lining from last year's injuries.

Now, add Vince Wilfork and 1st round draft pick Easley and 2nd round draft pick Worthy. That's a pretty solid group of young players and one excellent veteran leader.

I would expect Belichick to rotate guys in and out of the game like crazy. He's got the horses to keep fresh legs in the game. (See Seattle Seahawks....)
My contention is I only see bodies not players who are going to make a major impact on the line @hwc from last year's rollovers. The Pats are running thing at DE. I was hopeful the team would try and emulate the Seahawks depth (who even now, may struggle as the season moves on given their departures).

Let's hope these guys continue to develop. As I mentioned, they were handy last year but IMO, nowhere near as impressive last season as people would have us believe. Perhaps that changes this year with more time under their belt?

I heard Siliga was looking really good in practice before he got hurt. Easley should be a stud. It seems the team likes what they have in Chris Jones, Vellano and Worthy and maybe feel having more speed is more important than a 330 lb body.

Maybe they see a undersized 3-4 (at the DE position anyway) with guys that will pass rush is fine due to our over sized OLBs (who will probably be Jones, Nink and Hightower).

Watch the exact opposite happen now that I'm saying this, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to keep either Hightower or Ninkovich off the field in favor of a guy like Vellano, (Chris) Jones, or Worthy. Outside of putting Chandler at 3-4 DE, that's what they'd have to do to run a 3-4.

I guess my answer would be "nobody," because there are no 3-4 DEs in a 4-3.

In a classic 3-4, the DEs are what otherwise would be thought of as DTs. I don't think the Patriots are going to play 3 DTs very often, and if that were their plan, I don't think they've have cut Kelly.

I do think that 10% or so of total defensive snaps will be in a classic 3-4, concentrated in a few games where that's the base case for the base defense. But that's not enough for there to be clear and meaning answer to the thread's original question.

Last edited:
Remember guys Worthy was a top DT prospect with 3 sacks in part time role his rookie season withbavteamnthats known for not giving rookies many snaps. MANY felt he would have been the #1 DT prospect in his draftclass with a better work ethic. Last season he had acl injury. Packers didnt trade him for not playing well. He is still a top DT/3-4 DE prospect especially if he takes to the patriot work ethic. And who knows who starts and where. Easley could even play some rush OLB along with 3-4 DE. Depending on scheme a 3-4 DE is a lot like a penetrating DT. Wilfork at nose Worthy/Easley on the edge along with Collins/Jones as the rush olbs could put some serious heat on QBs. Siliga can give wilfork a break while replacing Easley on downs size is needed. Once Easley gets his size back after rehab he and Worthy could be a dynamic 3-4 DE combo if Worthy embraces his teammates work ethic. QBs will need to get rid of the football fast which isn't a good idea throwing into the patriot secondary. With Jones Collins Easley still growing into their frames and Worthy motivated, 30 sacks or close is realistic for Jones/Collins as rush OLBs. If Coaching goes with that formation. However nobody knows bellichick, like I said it wouldn't surprise anybody in the NFL to see Easley play some Rush OLB, After all before his acl tear he was 288lbs and rapidly growing and getting stronger due to his really good work ethic while shooting for 296-300 lbs. BTW he also reportedly ran a 4.7 at that size, So 4-3 or 3-4 which will they play

Remember guys Worthy was a top DT prospect with 3 sacks in part time role his rookie season withbavteamnthats known for not giving rookies many snaps. MANY felt he would have been the #1 DT prospect in his draftclass with a better work ethic. Last season he had acl injury. Packers didnt trade him for not playing well. He is still a top DT/3-4 DE prospect especially if he takes to the patriot work ethic. And who knows who starts and where. Easley could even play some rush OLB along with 3-4 DE. Depending on scheme a 3-4 DE is a lot like a penetrating DT. Wilfork at nose Worthy/Easley on the edge along with Collins/Jones as the rush olbs could put some serious heat on QBs. Siliga can give wilfork a break while replacing Easley on downs size is needed. Once Easley gets his size back after rehab he and Worthy could be a dynamic 3-4 DE combo if Worthy embraces his teammates work ethic. QBs will need to get rid of the football fast which isn't a good idea throwing into the patriot secondary. With Jones Collins Easley still growing into their frames and Worthy motivated, 30 sacks or close is realistic for Jones/Collins as rush OLBs. If Coaching goes with that formation. However nobody knows bellichick, like I said it wouldn't surprise anybody in the NFL to see Easley play some Rush OLB, After all before his acl tear he was 288lbs and rapidly growing and getting stronger due to his really good work ethic while shooting for 296-300 lbs. BTW he also reportedly ran a 4.7 at that size, So 4-3 or 3-4 which will they play
I am a big fan of Worthy, I liked him a lot in 2012 and wanted him instead of Tavon Wilson, and I agree with your overall thinking that he could develop into an excellent NFL DL. I do however have to disagree with your statement about Green Bay, they do as good a job as any team developing in house talent.

I think this will be the base front, they may go big at times and they may go small, but I do not think that they will use a full time 3-4 in 2014, I think they will remain with hybrid fronts.

3-4 under/4-3 over Hybrid
LE/LOLB – Rob Ninkovich (7tech/9tech)
DT/LE – Dominique Easley (3tech/5tech)
NT – Vince Wilfork (1tech/0tech)
RE – Chandler Jones (7tech/5tech)
Sam/ROLB – Donta Hightower
Mike/SILB – Jerod Mayo
Will/WILB – Jamie Collins

I think this will be the base front, they may go big at times and they may go small, but I do not think that they will use a full time 3-4 in 2014, I think they will remain with hybrid fronts.

3-4 under/4-3 over Hybrid
LE/LOLB – Rob Ninkovich (7tech/9tech)
DT/LE – Dominique Easley (3tech/5tech)
NT – Vince Wilfork (1tech/0tech)
RE – Chandler Jones (7tech/5tech)
Sam/ROLB – Donta Hightower
Mike/SILB – Jerod Mayo
Will/WILB – Jamie Collins
Agree. If we play 34 it will basically be the 43 personal with jones or nink standing up bit still playing the same role as a 43 de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back