PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are the "Patriots players" in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
These two players are said to both offer versatility on the defensive line. Doesn't Belichick value players who have a versatile skill set?

Allen Bailey and Christian Ballard.

I'd bet pretty much everything that Bailey won't be a Patriot.

1. He weighs 275 pounds right now
2. He's horribly slow off the snap
3. Gap shooter, not controller
4. Better athlete than football player

I also dislike Ballard, but I suppose he at least has ideal physical skills, and that has to count for something.

*Rolls eyes while patiently awaiting the first "Owen Marecic" response*

Last edited:
danny watkins baylor OT/G
gabe carimi OT wisconsin
ras-i dowling cb/s virginia

These two players are said to both offer versatility on the defensive line. Doesn't Belichick value players who have a versatile skill set?

Allen Bailey and Christian Ballard

No and no.

*Rolls eyes while patiently awaiting the first "Owen Marecic" response*

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: Owen Marecic!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

...How very strange to see a "Patriots Players" thread lead in with Allen @#$%&ing BAILEY, for the love of Jeebus!!
funny%20dude.gif

You're using a rather...unusual definition of "Patriots players." I think most Patsfans hear and think first of attitude/approach to the game.

There are Patriot type players in terms of football smarts, high character, instinctive and how they play the game the right way.

Then there is the Patriot type players in term of a player's skillset/ability and how that skillset/ability projects into either our version of the spread offense or the BB version of the 3-4 defense.

Theoretically the very best of the former is also the best of the latter, but that is very rare indeed.

Add to that drafting based on value over need, Limited projection selections, and being a three down player in early rounds and you would think we would have a decent understanding of the players BB is looking at year after year, but we don't have a clue most years! McCourty proved to me again last year.

I think both are too weak for 34 DE.

My thoughts:

QB
Ricky Stanzi Iowa - team captain
Chris Dieker Southern Illinois – sleeper, arm strength impressive – good developmental type
RB
Roy Helu Jr. Nebraska - very good inside runner with some quickness - team captain
Mario Fannin Auburn - very good receiver and ok runner – late rounds or UDFA
TE
Schuylar Oordt Northern Iowa - sleeper
Will Yeatman Maryland - lacrosse player too so BB has to look at this sleeper – good developmental type
WR
Armon Binns Cincinnati - size and hands reminds me of A Boldin
Darius Hanks Alabama - overshadowed by Julio Jones - late round or UDFA
C
Mike Pouncey Florida – area of need - team captain
G
Marcus Cannon (T) TCU - outstanding athlete
John Moffitt (C) Wisconsin - team captain
T
Nate Solder Colorado - 38% body fat and 34” vertical jump - great pick at #32 or #33
DE
Cameron Jordan California - versatile defender - hope he makes it to #17
Cameron Heyward OSU - may fit best as a 3-4 defensive end - team captain
Brandon Bair Oregon - will be 26 years old
DT
Jarvis Jenkins Clemson - just a felling
Ricky Lumpkin Kentucky - developmental type
OLB
Martez Wilson Illinois - surprise pick - :bricks:most see as ILB - junior
Aldon Smith Missouri – junior – think Willie McGinst in time
Sam Acho Texas - captain, one of the smartest players in college football, 3.6 GPA
Jabaal Sheard Pittsburgh – very good pass rusher
Tom Keiser Stanford - junior
K.J. Wright Mississippi State - developmental type
CB
Curtis (Chykie) Brown Texas - known simply as ‘The Cat’
Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech – a film junkie
S
Rahim Moore FS UCLA - team captain - junior

Darius Hanks Alabama - overshadowed by Julio Jones - late round or UDFA
C
Mike Pouncey Florida – area of need - team captain

Hanks usually makes one maybe two plays per game, run horrible routes but also plays ST and we know that will interest BB.

JUST SAY NO TO POUNCEY, he can't snap the ball and gets zero push at the snap of the ball. Let the Jets have him.

DE - Have to be bulky. Can't see DL under 300 lbs. being drafted on day 1 or 2. Has to eat up blockers and be able to hold the LOS without being moved laterally. Candidate: Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (6'4", 310)

OLB - Technically precise and not caught out of position. Needs to be able to play with their hands on the ground but also be able to play on their feet...able to rush the passer from either. Big and strong enough to turn running plays back inside and quick enough to influence the QB without diving on losing balance. Candidate: Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma (6'3", 265)

OG - Big and strong but not too tall. Nasty with the desire to finish blocks and look for someone else to hit. Athletic enough to pull and get to the 2nd level but has to absolutely, positively, definitely keep the pocket clean. Candidate: Danny Watkins, Baylor (6'4", 310)

CB - Student of the game. Not just be able to run and cover but understand overall defensive concepts and what the offense is trying to do. Willing and effective in run support. Candidate: Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech (5'11", 185)

S - Hold up against the run but also be able to cover in the slot or drop deep. Like CB, needs to know the overall defensive and offensive concepts going on around him. Speed is important, but the instincts to be in the right place at the right time are paramount. Candidate: Deunta Williams, UNC (6'2", 210)

These guys are all seniors and are all likely 2nd day picks. Some team captains and guys that love to study and watch film. The Pats should be able to move around and get all these guys...and still hold onto their 2 1st round picks. That is why I believe the Pats should not worry about need so much with their first round picks. Get one or two elite players on day one regardless of position (except QB obviously) and there are still some good "Patriot players" available on day 2.

QB
Ricky Stanzi Iowa

I don't think this year's draft is deep at quarterback prospects. Stanzi exhibits some similar traits of Brady but he could be a backup at best in the NFL.

Ricky Stanzi was expected to be one of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft. Despite a good season, it won't be enough to keep him relevant come draft time.

Early on in the season, he was stringing together consistently solid performances that helped his cause. Then the wheels started to come off and Stanzi went on to put up 3,004 yards and 25 TDs.

The final stretch of the season may have summed up Stanzi's legacy as a Hawkeye. He was unable to lead his team from late deficits in those three games as they lost by a combined 10 points.

Even with a win in the Insight Bowl, Stanzi still played horribly and hurt his draft potential even more. With several other quarterbacks in free-fall this season, Stanzi had an opportunity to rise above.

2011 NFL Draft: 10 Prospects Whose Stock Is Plummeting | Bleacher Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back