PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Are The Game Day Backups On the OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have our five returning starters. We almost always activate two OL backups, one to backup both tackles and the other to backup at center and both guards.

Q1) Who are the two players?
Q2) Who is the backup at C?
Q3) Who is the backup at RG?
Q4) Who is the backup at LG?
Q5) Who is the backup at RT?
Q6) Who is the backup at LT?

Unless we pick up someone from alnother team, it seems as if the kids will need to grow up fast. As of today it seems as if our backups are Vollmer and Ohrnberger. Of course, we'll be better off when LeVoir is healthy.

We have our five returning starters. We almost always activate two OL backups, one to backup both tackles and the other to backup at center and both guards.

Unless we pick up someone from alnother team, it seems as if the kids will need to grow up fast. As of today it seems as if our backups are Vollmer and Ohrnberger. Of course, we'll be better off when LeVoir is healthy.

Light, Kaczur and Vollmer seem set as the 3 active OTs. LeVoir should see significant time as well when he comes back, depending on week-to-week injuries. That seems to be the most capable OT group we've had in the BB era.

The last active OG/C spot should be between Ohrnberger and whichever of Wendell/Connolly makes the team. Has Ohrnberger any experience at center?

I'm fine with the tackle situation through 2011.

Ohrnberger played some center in college. The issue is who would you trust with protecting the franchise if there is an injury to an interior lineman.

Light, Kaczur and Vollmer seem set as the 3 active OTs. LeVoir should see significant time as well when he comes back, depending on week-to-week injuries. That seems to be the most capable OT group we've had in the BB era.

The last active OG/C spot should be between Ohrnberger and whichever of Wendell/Connolly makes the team. Has Ohrnberger any experience at center?

If I remember right he was taking quite alot of reps at centre during the no-pads practices.

Its possible they are looking for more of a road grader type in the middle - Koppen has been a great Patriot but he has been bullied by bigger bodied NT/DT's quite alot over the last couple of years.

Brady has always been able to handle and sense pressure off the edge, but pressure up the middle...not so much.

I'm fine with the tackle situation through 2011.

Ohrnberger played some center in college. The issue is who would you trust with protecting the franchise if there is an injury to an interior lineman.

I don't know the answer right now, but given that the Pats cut Johnson early on who was rumored to possibly give Koppen a run as the starting C, they must be reasonably comfortable with their backup options.

I haven't seen much from Ohrnberger, nothing like some good old fashioned guard play to get you all fired up...

I think Yates will be a backup, surprised about Hochstein because he could play Center in a pinch. I guess that leaves Wendell by default.

There will likely be 9 OL's with 7 active. You don't get to keep Ohrnberger and Yates and Wendell.

And some one player needs to be able to backup both center and guard on game day.

I haven't seen much from Ohrnberger, nothing like some good old fashioned guard play to get you all fired up...

I think Yates will be a backup, surprised about Hochstein because he could play Center in a pinch. I guess that leaves Wendell by default.

For the backup C/G I would think Wendell has the edge right now over Ohrnberger and Connolly. I'm guessing this spot won't be determined until after the last preseason game. In the other spot I would say probably Vollmer over O'Callahan, LeVoir and the others.

Orhnberger? What games are you folks watching? The kid still has time to work up the depth chart, but at the moment he's #4 in playing time behind Wendell, Connelly, and Yates - and he's got a few tricks to learn from what I'm seeing. Wendell is the current #3 C/G from what I've seen through two preseason games. Connelly is #2, and he's been working with the second team wedge and is the likely 1st team wedge-man with Hochstein's trade.

For the backup C/G I would think Wendell has the edge right now over Ohrnberger and Connolly. I'm guessing this spot won't be determined until after the last preseason game. In the other spot I would say probably Vollmer over O'Callahan, LeVoir and the others.
I'm hopeful the LeVoir extension is also an indicator that he's close to returning. If he does come off PUP before the season, I'd expect Vollmer to be #3 until LeVoir finishes rehab and works back into game shape, then it depends on how fast Vollmer is picking up his game with the additional reps he'd receive.

LeVoir's extension also makes the multi-year tackle group the best it's been under BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes