PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whitlock: NFL truths (Pats will struggle, Colts will win it all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just his opinion. It doesn't bother me.

When I read the title I immediately thought of Marshall Faulk.

"If you haven't heard, my NFL Truths column is a must-read for any serious NFL fan. Every coach, general manager and owner in the league — except Ted Thompson — reads this weekly column religiously."

NEVER take a guy seriously if he has to lead off by trying to convince you (and himself) that he and his work are well respected.

McNabb for MVP? Is Whitlock trying to make a career change to standup comedy? He had me laughing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Meh

I don't need every writer to say the Pats will 19-0 either, but predicting a 10-6 season for team with a record setting offense still intact, a defense that's better in the front seven and was fourth in the league last year AND has the easiest schedule in the league, ah, doesn't seem too bright to me. yeah, Asante's gone and that won't help but Seymour's healthy(a factor which can change an entire season alone if he reurns to his pro-bowl level), Mayo and Crable will add some serious juice to the front 7, Meriweather is emerging as a leader and maybe a star and the CB's will be super fast if nothing else.

Plus, adding Jordan to the offense gives the Pats tremendous depth at RB, a spot they struggled with at times after Morris went down, and three of our O-line went to the Pro Bowl.

Add in that we have the best QB in football with all these factors and 10-6 would seem like a disaster. My call is no worse than 12-4, 14-2 is more like it.

Fair enough, and you may end up being right. The fact that Whitlock was one of the few in the business who didn't pile on the Patriots (Re: Spygate) means that I'm going to be nice to him. :)

Brady having one the greatest playoff games in NFL history against the Jags and winning the AFC Championship game wasn't great?

Not to mention being 35 seconds away from winning the Super Bowl?

Dumb column. Sure he can make his predictions, but saying the AFC Super Bowl representative did not play a great final month of football is just a flat out contradiction.

Like how he makes a point to say last season will effect the Pats this season, yet fails to mention the Colts being beat by a LT-less, Billy Volek led Chargers team at home without winning a playoff game. Not to mention Manning, Freeney, Sanders and Harrison are all dealing with injury/surgery.

To be fair, he mentioned the team as a whole. While Brady, yes had a fantastic game against my Jags (*grimaces*), he had a not so good game against San Diego.

The defense, while playing well in the San Diego game, did make some whiffs in the Jags game.

He may have also been referring to the latter half of the season, not just the playoffs. The Patriots did have close games against the Eagles, Ravens, and Giants, only one of which was a playoff team (and one that wasn't expected to do much in the postseason). All three were only won by three points, and arguably the Patriots caught some huge breaks in the Ravens game.

My point is that he is hitting the right mark on the comment about a hangover; the Patriots may indeed have some unexpected losses this season and regression.

Its the gravity of such I take objection to. I simply can not see the Patriots going 10-6. I think at the least they are an 11-5 team, and that's pushing it IMO. I have them going 12-4 or 13-3. Secondly, there is no way the Patriots go one and done. No way. They haven't yet since BB and Brady began their tour of destruction through the NFL, and I honestly don't think they will, at least this year.

To be fair, he mentioned the team as a whole. While Brady, yes had a fantastic game against my Jags (*grimaces*), he had a not so good game against San Diego.

The defense, while playing well in the San Diego game, did make some whiffs in the Jags game.

He may have also been referring to the latter half of the season, not just the playoffs. The Patriots did have close games against the Eagles, Ravens, and Giants, only one of which was a playoff team (and one that wasn't expected to do much in the postseason). All three were only won by three points, and arguably the Patriots caught some huge breaks in the Ravens game.

My point is that he is hitting the right mark on the comment about a hangover; the Patriots may indeed have some unexpected losses this season and regression.

Its the gravity of such I take objection to. I simply can not see the Patriots going 10-6. I think at the least they are an 11-5 team, and that's pushing it IMO. I have them going 12-4 or 13-3. Secondly, there is no way the Patriots go one and done. No way. They haven't yet since BB and Brady began their tour of destruction through the NFL, and I honestly don't think they will, at least this year.

Your analysis is spot on,nice job.I also didn't have trouble with Whitlock's column,but,like you,I disagree with his conclusions.

Given enough time,any good coach or co-ord.will figure out how to stop a dynamo,
especially an offensive one.The Rams,Colts,
Chargers and the Patriots.

Defensive dynamos are much harder to figure out,and this is exactly where I think BB,Dean Pees and Dom Capers are headed with the 2008 team.

I would expect the Pats to lose 2 or 3 games,
however these losses will be spread out.I think we will see more 21-3 0r 24-7 games then last year's blowouts.This is a good thing

The best pick-up in the offseason was Dom Capers.Along with Seymour healthy and AD
playing back in position,this defense will be a dynamo.

LOL, I called bull**** on the column the second I read that sentence. What the heck would REAL NFL GMs be doing reading this hack's prognostications? Utter BS.

"If you haven't heard, my NFL Truths column is a must-read for any serious NFL fan. Every coach, general manager and owner in the league — except Ted Thompson — reads this weekly column religiously."

NEVER take a guy seriously if he has to lead off by trying to convince you (and himself) that he and his work are well respected.

McNabb for MVP? Is Whitlock trying to make a career change to standup comedy? He had me laughing.

Oh and he spouts some more BS with his last prediction. When has it NOT been sexy to predict the Colts to win the Superbowl? Just another Manning/Dungy ballwasher. Nothing to see here.

1. Right now, I like the Colts to win the Super Bowl.

I know it's not a sexy prediction. It's just what I really think. Tony Dungy is going to christen Lucas Oil Stadium with a Super Bowl champion and then immediately retire.

Last edited:
Wrong, fat and annoying..... That makes him like what, 70%-80% of the posters on this forum?

Does that mean your a skinny princess? Your so special. Everyone here loves the skinny know-it-all. If that doesn't spell "football oficianado" I don't know what does.

Enjoy your wheat-grass smoothies and vitaminn water flavors. If only we could all be as wonderful as you in our mothers basement. Good luck after Jr. High kid.

Last edited:
I know it's not a sexy prediction. It's just what I really think. Tony Dungy is going to christen Lucas Oil Stadium with a Super Bowl champion and then immediately retire.

I agree with others who say that you can't be offended by some sportswriter's prediction, because they're as worthless as yours and mine.

But this, this I do object to (bold). Its the hackiest sportswriter move there is. Rooting for "the story". This is what he "predicts" will happen because this is truly what he wants to write about when its all over.

They pat themselves on the back for being objective (no cheering in the press box!) when their work is no less biased by their incessant cheerleading for "the story".

Does that mean your a skinny princess? Your so special. Everyone here loves the skinny know-it-all. If that doesn't spell "football oficianado" I don't know what does.

Enjoy your wheat-grass smoothies and vitaminn water flavors. If only we could all be as wonderful as you in our mothers basement. Good luck after Jr. High kid.

Yikes, if you'RE going to bust someone for being a crank, taking the time to spell a bit more correctly would make YOUR post more impressive. I'm not talking about typo's - don't even try to go there you bad ass "aficionado!" :D

:blahblah: This guy will go hide under a rock begining around 4pm on September 7th. If he thinks New England is a 10-6 team, what does that make KC. -1-14:D? I mean the only team that could possibly be worse is Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes