PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whither Jarvis Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
given the drafting of brace, and the extension of mike wright (not to mention the drafting of 2 other guys), would it not seem at least plausible that the pats may trade jarvis green? maybe to denver for say jarvis moss who is not long for that location

or maybe to the packers for a draft pick........

He's not in Carolina yet? Hm...;)

I was thinking some about peppers in the pats scheme, and he'd be very useful as a DE in the nickel scheme when seymour goes inside.........

peppers jsut needs to learn that OLB's don't get 10M per year and then needs to decide if that's still what he really wants to be

He's not holding out for money, imo. He's holding out for the Panthers to lower their asking price. Gonna be an ugly year there this season if they don't reach some kind of compromise.

I was thinking some about peppers in the pats scheme, and he'd be very useful as a DE in the nickel scheme when seymour goes inside.........

peppers jsut needs to learn that OLB's don't get 10M per year and then needs to decide if that's still what he really wants to be

I mentioned trading Green with Woods to the Panthers over the weekend.

He's not holding out for money, imo. He's holding out for the Panthers to lower their asking price. Gonna be an ugly year there this season if they don't reach some kind of compromise.

I've been trying to figure out Peppers not signing the tender, but what do you think about him holding out for the Panthers to remove the franchise tag like the Seahawks did with their LB Hill? Maybe he's just so fed up with playing in Carolina that he won't sign the tender at the risk that no one will pay the Panther's high trade demands, and he'll just be a Panther again this year. Maybe just a big game of negotiating chicken?

I guess it all depends on the specifics of his due bonus--has it been paid, will they still be on the hook for the 2.2 if they get rid of him? I personally don't see any major added value by replacing him, no one is going to come in and do that much better of a job under 2.2. Maybe they let him go, and end up saving 1 million even by keeping someone else at 1.2 million, but then you'd have to argue about how much you lose in the player/position value by saving that 1 million dollars.

The point may be mute anyways, if he's already been paid the bonus, or if the team would still be on the hook--which they probably wouldn't. Those are important factors in determining what to do with Green, but I think it's a reasonable salary for what he's worth to the team. That's just my opinion. I think he's proven he knows the system well, and has stepped in for Seymour before quite well. He is a viable backup/rotational player, and it actually could be argued that he is maybe somewhat undervalued. All of this talk is because he's due his bonus, which he's probably earned, IMO. If not for the extra 2.2, he'd be quite a good value, especially when we're not sure about the future of Seymour. I personally hope Green stays.

As far as the 'game' that Peppers is playing, I personally feel he thought that there would be more inquisitions for him, and since there haven't been, he's somewhat 'stuck' and surprised. I still think it's financially best for him to end up signing the tender via an agreement not to be franchised next yr, make his 17 mill guaranteed, and then become a free agent next year--thus getting out of Carolina and also guaranteeing himself another multi-yr major deal. If you add the guaranteed money from this yr and next yr, it'll be 17 + approx. 25 or so, in guaranteed money. That would put him in the range of Stafford's guaranteed 41.7, hell, it'll most likely exceed it.

Getting paid over 42 mill or so in guaranteed money in 2 years also lessens his risk of injury, etc, and puts him on another team (which is what he claims he wants) next season. Everyone talks about the risk of injury etc, but it's ultimately the guaranteed money they're after. Just by even playing this yr with Carolina, he guarantees himself (almost) the same guaranteed money in 1 yr that James Harrison is going to make in 6, approx. 20 million. I still believe he stays this one last yr with Carolina, and makes his guaranteed million per game, then waits for his major payday with even more guaranteed money next yr, in what's perceived by most players to be a much friendlier uncapped free agency.

Last edited:
The Chiefs need a pass rush, but they just drafted 2 ends. The Broncos front line blows, too, so they'd have to be in the mix.

Well, keep in mind that only Brace was drafted high by the Patriots. The others were late rounders which are far from guaranteed to make the team. Not to mention brace is more of an interior d-lineman, NT type, and likely would not provide the pass rush that Green can.

I don't think the additions really mean anything besides depth and camp competition. If by some chance we are pleasantly surprised by ALL of the drafted linemen, then you might see Green go for salary cap relief, and my guess would be for a 4th rounder, 3rd at best.

One thing as per Reiss's mailbag -- in an uncapped year, the Pats need to have some FAs who walk.

Another thing -- Green could bring a decent comp pick back.

I wouldn't assume that the Hobbs choice, as it were, will be repeated w/ Green, Kaczur, et al.

I see no reason why Green gets traded or cut now. Weren't we all speculating Green's demise in late February? If Green wasn't sticking around in 2009, why didn't we cut him then?

Two things I'm pretty sure of:
1: Green ain't going nowhere.
2: Peppers ain't coming here.

Finally, someone is using their head! I just cannot understand this obsession with Peppers and Taylor.

They will need Green and Wright next year when Seymour walks. The 1st round DE they draft next year will need a little time to develop. :D

Last edited:

i agree 100% and even if they was to get peppers i dont see him being that 15 sack guy that every one wants this D is not about geting sacks when BB D is at its best its about makeing top QB like payton manning look like a first yer rookie not by sacking him 8 times a game but by hideing the bliz so they dont know where its comeing from makeing them throw the ball befor thay want to witch leads to incomplet pass or a INT

Finally, someone is using their head! I just cannot understand this obsession with Peppers and Taylor.

They will need Green and Wright next year when Seymour walks. The 1st round DE they draft next year will need a little time to develop. :D

Two pro bowl caliber defenders that would have an immediate positive impact on the defense and who will have chips on their shoulders with a strong desire to take out their old teams...I'd say that's something to be obsessed over.

I doubt Green goes anywhere.

I see no reason why Green gets traded or cut now. Weren't we all speculating Green's demise in late February? If Green wasn't sticking around in 2009, why didn't we cut him then?

You are assuming he wasn't shopped, correct? What is the deal is in place for a Peppers lets say, and Green is part of that deal. They are waiting for the tender to be signed...maybe?....Just saying.
DW Toys

Panthers would be smart to simply drop the tag, like Philly did with Trotter a few years ago, and the Seahawks just did with Hill.

this isn't about the demise of jarvis green.......this is about getting something in return for him..........and saving some cap space in the process........wright has become every bit as effective on passing downs, and is better against the run......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down