PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

White/Thompkins vs Bolden/Lafell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
SORRY Title should say White!! Thats what I get for writing work emails and posting at same time!

[Mod edit: Fixed it for ya!]

Bolden looked bad last week and flat out awful yesterday he is 6 carries 8 yds this year so basically useless. LaFell I dont think was targeted yesterday but was kind of a mess last week.

Thompkins IMO was the best wr not named Edelman week 1. So this begs the question whats is up? The only thing I can think of is Whites blocking isnt where it needs to be, which I am ok with, as long as they never give the ball to Bolden when he is out there. As for Thompkins maybe LaFell can play more spots and Thompkins not being actie was directly realted to Dobson being back? Anyone have any thoughs on these matters?

Either way the offense wasnt great (it didnt need to be) and certainly Bolden is no Blount from last year where we actually get something from whoever is spelling Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Dobson and Thompkins are "projects" that are never going to project to anything.
-LaFell was a lazy cheap signing from the start that didn't improve the offense at all.
-The run game in general is worse because we decided to trade Logan Mankins away.

None of this is surprising to me or anyone else who doesn't chug the kool-aid.

-Dobson and Thompkins are "projects" that are never going to project to anything.
-LaFell was a lazy cheap signing from the start that didn't improve the offense at all.
-The run game in general is worse because we decided to trade Logan Mankins away.

None of this is surprising to me or anyone else who doesn't chug the kool-aid.

You're certainly living up to your username!

Bolden looked bad last week and flat out awful yesterday he is 6 carries 8 yds this year so basically useless. LaFell I dont think was targeted yesterday but was kind of a mess last week.

Thompkins IMO was the best wr not named Edelman week 1. So this begs the question whats is up? The only thing I can think of is Smith's blocking isnt where it needs to be, which I am ok with, as long as they never give the ball to Bolden when he is out there. As for Thompkins maybe LaFell can play more spots and Thompkins not being actie was directly realted to Dobson being back? Anyone have any thoughs on these matters?

Either way the offense wasnt great (it didnt need to be) and certainly Bolden is no Blount from last year where we actually get something from whoever is spelling Ridley.

Who is "Smith" in this context? Do you mean James White?

You're certainly living up to your username!

I'm just shocked that so many people actually have high hopes in Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell and even STILL Amendola.

Really?!

That is an embarrassing list of options for Brady. Emmanuel Sanders isn't amazing but there's no doubt he would have been an immediate improvement to the offense.

I'm just shocked that so many people actually have high hopes in Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell and even STILL Amendola.

Really?!

That is an embarrassing list of options for Brady. Emmanuel Sanders isn't amazing but there's no doubt he would have been an immediate improvement to the offense.

A person would have to be an incredible fool to have already given up on Dobson.

Who is "Smith" in this context? Do you mean James White?

Well, if he had called White "Jones" it would have created too much confusion.

Pessimistic Pete is my favorite gimmick poster.

Really?!

I am still shocked you haven't sealed yourself in your garage with the car running.

Sorry cant edit the title but I edited first post. Was trying to do to many things at once! yes white not smith

Pessimistic Pete is my favorite gimmick poster.

triumph is mine, he actually said he could draft better than Belichick, and he meant it...LMAO.

A slight tangent.. but what interests me is what makes LaFell a better special teams contributor than KT ?

Is it only experience ? Or does KT lack strength/speed in some aspect to be a valuable contributor on ST ? I mean what is preventing him to go to the ST coach during the offseason/OTAs/camp/heck even now and ask for some basic concepts so can slowly put himself into the ST mix ?

Wouldn't it make sense for a player that seems to be on the fringe of the game day squad to diversify himself to become useable in various spots (e.g. like Bolden ?).

The choice between Dobson/Lafell/KT is likely gameplan specific. Until Gronk gets right, Lafell is a primary redzone target and so has a lot of situational utility. We've only seen KT really operate out of 3 wr sets, which we didn't see much off last game b/c they stacked the OL, ran 2TE packages and had full backfields to protect the line of scrimmage.

Against large receivers, you probably want a quick possession style receiver like KT, whereas against smaller dbs you want a Dobson/Lafell..

So I think its more of a gameplan than anything else. I have no doubt we'll see KT back in a few games again very soon.

In all fairness all Pete would have to do draft better than bill is listen to the scouts and he would at least hit on some of his picks every year. I mean its not to hard to find a single longterm starter in 2 drafts 2006-2007. Or 2 above average starters in 4 drafts 2005-2008. Or bust 11out of 14 Round2 draft picks. With a single impact starter when he actually plays. Or to have 7 Picks in the first 3 rounds of the loaded 2011 draft including 3 picks in the top 33 and not get a single impact player.Yeah It would be really tough to top that. Most fans couldn't screw that draft up if they tried to because of all the impact players but Bill found A Way another terrible cornerback here a backup qb there sprinkle in a couple running backs for the committee and ignore trading up for watt,Quinn,green,Jones,smith,miller and he pulled it off.

On the flip side, I get it what Pete is saying Dobson and KT have raw talent like height sub 4.45 speed, sharp routes, able to highpoint but neither has proven to be consistent enough to be go to guys. And neither were elite top flight surefire prospects. That's why Dobson would have dropped to round3 or 4 if patriots hadn't drafted him and Kenbrell was undrafted. Dobson is one of several round2-4 developmental prospects with size and speed to step up. However as you saw before with patriot draftpicks not all those WRs step up and show talent all around to be a consistent playmaker in the NFL. Now with that said its good to not be overly pessimistic just as you shouldn't think anybody who wears a patriot uniform is a pro bowl caliber player. It would be silly to give up on Dobson already just as it would be silly to think he will definitely be a consistent impact playmaker and assume your going into the playoffs with an impact WR before he has officially become an impact consistent big playmaker. Both Kenbrell And Dobson have shown top end skills it takes to be a standout WR. We should be rooting for them. I personally root for Kenbrell Thompkins, I know where the dude has come from and how hard he has trained with his cousin and on his own. I hope he has continued to work as hard after knowing he was a roster lock.

In all fairness all Pete would have to do draft better than bill is listen to the scouts and he would at least hit on some of his picks every year. I mean its not to hard to find a single longterm starter in 2 drafts 2006-2007.

The 2007 draft was sui generis, and they found an All-Pro in Gostkowski in 2006.

When your bragging bout a frigging kicker it tells you how bad a draft is. I don't have time but let's clarify

2005...... first round guard that was good, not an earthmover like the truly elite but really good

2006... total bust oh a kicker lmao

2007 ....total bust

2008 pro bowl LB with top10 pick but not in elite class of LBs that are balls of fire like Willis David Bowman,kuechly Wagner. But a deserving pro bowler, after him draft was a bust

2009 Vollmer everything else a bust, up to 3 good players in 5 drafts,traded away pick that became Clay Matthews.Brace the disgrace over pot roast knighton and others. Rest of draft a bust. Oh almost forgot Edelman, the guy he gave 5 years to develop as a backup slot receiver. Any other team he would have been toast. Teams don't usually give WRs that cant beat defenses with his speed and physical talent alone 5 seasons to develop top flight chemistry with the qb to succeed. Any team that isn't fascinated with short slow white WRs would have tried upgrading over him long ago.

2010 struck gold in gronk but he was a known injury risk, its why he dropped, Hernandez was good as well but not elite. McCourty was a bust at cornerback who was able to move to safety where he has done well but seems like a skeptical tackler lately,maybe tackling taking its toll on his small frame. Good range a center fielder. However fs position is becoming littered with cornerbacks cornerbacks who failed at playing man coverage but are decent tacklers and moved to become A FS with good range. McCourty is replaceable,wouldn't give him a $40-50million contract. I'm spending most time on this draft because of the many busts while great players at the same position were overlooked. Spikes over bowman, Cunningham over Dunlap,bill needed pass rushing DT or 3-4 end while one of my favorite prospects of all time was overlooked. Geno Atkins. Bowman was also one of my favorite prospects ever. Taylor Price over Decker and mike Williams. Pick that became Dez Bryant was traded down the river for McCourty. There's your elite edge rusher and elite complete big time playmaker WR. The 2 key positions that has held the team back from at least a couple championship trophies. And is reason he has caught criticism.

2011........ Loaded draft, loaded with draft picks yet so far nothing but a serviceable Tackle and 2 serviceable running backs. Oh And a serviceable back up QB lol, I do think Cannon can be a really good guard and should already be.

2012 a very good pass rusher so far in Jones and A failed LB who isn't explosive enough for position and is a liability in coverage leading to a couple benchings. Lucky he is huge and can play DLine although due to his elite sized frame and play strength, some scouts suggested he could grow into a near 300 lb freakish 3-4 end. They are turning out to be right. But again a ******ed round2 pick he could have had in round6. Then a round3 bust and a serviceable round7 cornerback who ran into multiple occasions with the law. Bill went against his stance on that pick. He had to do so due to so many failed Dbacks. And it netted him a serviceable round pick. Again 4 LBs drafted after Hightower haveboutperformed him at LB including undrafted LB Burfict.

2013.... many promising players but jury is still out.including One of my favorite players in LOGAN RYAN!!!! Very underrated player. And a talented but raw undrafted WR in KT whom I root for, Kenbrell hope you havnt stopped outworking everybody since becoming roster lock.

2014......... Very controversial draft, backup qb in Round 2 when your sending undrafted players out to protect Brady while your DLine is undrafted and 33 coming off injury and you need a 3 down mlb that can stuff run and cover. And you have no proven complete big play WR. And Round 1 pick is coming off multiple acl injuries and is seriously undersized. Small next to Hightower is expected as he is huge but small next to mayo is nuts for a DT and yeah he was sightly small next to mayo. Not saying he will be a bust but he needs to seriously bulk up. The best draft pick Cameron Fleming could be an awesome mauling right guard with athleticism to play some tackle if he must but only if he has to because he doesn't have athleticism of better tackles and he is a prototype standout mauling athletic guard. Would not surprise me if he became a top 5 guard. He has good athleticism, top flight power and great intelligence and feel for blocking. However Bill is to stubborn to see he has a top flight prototype guard prospect and prefers him at tackle where he will struggle some in the NFL just as he did with Kaczur.

Not for or against bill like most are, homers and his groupies defend every move he makes. just calling it like it is. I prefer to brag him up however because it means Superbowl trophy.

It is kind of hard to call a guy bust when he is targeted once or not at all. What happens when teams start double teaming Edleman. You go into playoffs throwing only to Edleman and Gronk you will be done quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes