Welcome to PatsFans.com

"White Privilege"...Debunked

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 23, 2014.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

The most idiotic phrase I've heard in a while, white privilege is bullshit says Morgan Freeman.

And yes, if Morgan says it, it's fuggn true. So just accept it. Otherwise I'll let any of you "I feel guilty cuz I was born white" people go find some more false "victims".

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Wait, actors' opinions not only matter now, but they're the final word? Interesting. ;)

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +594 / 24 / -19

4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

Who are the people who get the Benifits from quotas & affirmative action?

Don't think quotas are in play, go talk to a union tradesman.

Guys with twenty years experience get layed off because they have to meet their required quota.

The color of your skin is more important than the quality of work you do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Nothing fuels the ire of a liberal, more so than a minority, person of color, or woman who doesn't tote their ideological line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Can someone in here defend the concept of "white privilege"? I'm curious.

7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 16 / -9

"Defend"?

To echo what I read so often among our rightist savants, I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me.

But give it a shot. Start here.

[​IMG]

And here.

[​IMG]

And here.

[​IMG]

Have fun with the usual games. It is what it is.

PFnV

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 16 / -9

By the way, I think of Morgan Freeman as an extraordinary actor, and at the very least very interested in the sciences; I don't think you could pull off his "How the Universe Works" voiceovers if you didn't at least have a grip on the concepts you're talking about. (Or is he "The Universe?" one or the other.)

I also think that white privilege is much more about the ordinary than the extraordinary.

PFnV

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Census Bureau Links Poverty With Out-of-Wedlock Births

Coupling statistics for the percentage of women without a high school degree in a state and the state's median income "explains about 67 percent" of out-of-wedlock births, according to the report. The precise correlation between solely educational attainment and out-of-wedlock births was not included in the report.
    By educational attainment, 57 percent of women without a high school degree were unmarried when they gave birth, compared to 8.8 percent of women with a bachelor's degree or more. The percentages for women with just a high school degree and some college fell between the two.
    Nationwide, African-American women reported the highest rate of out-of-wedlock births, at 67.8 percent. American Indian or Alaska Native women reported a 64 percent rate, while Hispanics reported 43 percent and non-Hispanic whites reported 26 percent. Asian-Americans reported the lowest rate of out-of-wedlock births, at 11.3 percent.

----------------------------------

Married People with College Degrees have Higher Median Family Incomes than Unmarried High School Dropouts

Going back to the Census data we can see a correlation between these high school graduation rates and median family income. Those with the highest graduation rate (Asians) earned $75,027. Those with the next highest graduation rate (whites) earned $62,545. While those with the lowest graduation rate (blacks) earned $38,409. Which clearly shows that high school graduates earn more than high school dropouts. And because Asians and whites have higher high school graduation rates than blacks they have higher median family incomes than blacks.

http://pithocrates.com/2013/07/25/h...t-of-wedlock-births-and-median-family-income/

According to Census data (see Social and Economic Characteristics of Currently Unmarried Women With a Recent Birth: 2011 posted on census.gov), the number of children being born out-of-wedlock differ greatly across the above three racial groups. Asians have the lowest out-of-wedlock births at 11.3%. While whites come in at 29.2%. And blacks come in at 67.8%.
    The people with the highest median family income also have the lowest out-of-wedlock births.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

[​IMG]

• Asian/Pacific Islander: 77%
    • White: 75%
    • Black: 50%
    • Hispanic: 53%
    • Native American/Alaskan: 51%
    • Students with Disabilities: 56%

Race and ethnic graduation rates based on the Urban Institute's Cumulative Promotion Index. Disability graduation rate is from National Council on Disability, 24th Annual Report to Congress.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

"A theory that explains everything, explains nothing"

With that in mind, it would seem that having a lower number of out of wedlock births bodes well for one's future. As does graduating with a high school diploma. Whites and Asians have the lowest out of wedlock rates, as well as the highest graduation rates, which helps to explain their higher income levels.

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I'm not sure about defending it, and I think we'd first need to define it.

But I have no doubt that I have benefited in my life in myriad small ways from being white. I always have spoken my mind with cops and continue to do so, with virtually no repercussions -- even when I've been pretty aggressive about it. When I lived in Manhattan, I never had empty cabs ignore me like my black friends and co-workers did -- even though we were in safe areas and they were clean cut and wearing suits, just like I was. Also back in my Manhattan days, it was always amusing to watch those guys get followed almost every time we were in a store that had security guards or enough personnel to follow "suspicious" folks around.

Those are the things that I think of as "white privilege." I don't know if it's what other people mean by the term.

So I know for a fact that my concept of it exists. I don't feel guilty about it, as much as a lot of folks on the right like to claim is what's going on. I'm just aware that I haven't had to deal with things that my black friends dealt with.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

So let me see if I have this right ... Several white people in the forum who are accomplished in life are lecturing other white people in the forum about white privilege ... interesting to say the least.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I can only speak for myself, but I was answering Nikolai's question, not lecturing anybody.

So, no, I don't think you have it right that several people are doing what you described.

15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

Classic ...........

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Indeed............................................................................................

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Reliance on charts from the Heritage Organization... "Priceless".

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Wouldn't it be nice to see more American Indians in TV Commercials.

Bring an Eskimo home to dinner.
    Wear your wife's underwear.

19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 16 / -9

So the line of argument goes...
    1. A very successful black man says that there's no such thing as white privilege because he succeeded.
    2. I wonder if anybody will take the contrary position - that there is such a thing as white privilege.
    3. Interesting that somebody who is successful would "defend" the notion.

Unfortunately, Icy, we would need more socioeconomic diversity among regulars were we to enforce your implied ban on analysis by people who've done well enough to, for example, own a condo rather than rent a subsidized apartment unit.

However you are more than welcome to poll the latter group on whether there is such a thing as white privilege. I'd recommend you poll a representative sample. If you do, you might complain that your results cannot be believed, because you have proportionately too few whites among respondents.

This is why I say knock yourselves out. It's basically started... we've got RW all concerned with out-of-wedlock births and graduation rates etc. etc. etc. -- and this will go on ad infinitum until you've convinced yourselves that you got nothing, zero, zilch out of being white.

Look at any of these things the other way and out comes the privilege again. Is your preference the school in the bad neighborhood, or the private school or school in the suburbs? Why? Oh that's right. The "better schools" -- the better schools you just don't have access to in the "bad neighborhood." One complaint further -- "everybody has the choice to send their kid to a charter school." Except charter schools aren't guaranteed to be any better than public schools in general. Blah blah blah etc. etc. etc.

Whites resegregated en masse after desegregation - they just went further out. Plenty of times it was "I'm not racist, it's for the schools."

We've talked several times about the thousands of dollars the government gives you, by way of the tax break, if you're married (in many cases). And by the way, if you're already well-off and married, and it's better for your bottom line, you can file single.

So we have welfare for the married, marriage is considered normative by one group and optional at best by another. We give the goodies to the former. Each of these groups heavily overlaps a racial line. How about letting any couple that lives together for the year or portion of a year that they live together file married if it's to their advantage? I never hear about that as a "solution."

There's never been a time where you're not more likely to drop out of school if you're poorer. And once again: what's the wealth picture look like? What's the unemployment picture look like?

You guys are really trying to tell me that there's not an advantage to being white in the U.S.?

It doesn't mean you have to walk around feeling guilty because you're white. It means don't walk around looking for reasons to assume a black person is guilty of something (precisely what we're seeing in all of these "justifiable" homicides with black victims).

And by the way - it also doesn't matter where the disadvantage comes from. If you grow up not particularly afraid of stray bullets, that's an advantage.... no matter who is firing the bullets.

I was actually surprised that Morgan Freeman made that particular point.

But then again, had he made the opposite point,

1) this board, which is by and large, ahem, very in touch with their own racial identity, would never have made a big "woo hoo look here's proof!" thread about it, and

2) You'd find it "interesting" that a successful black man had spoken up for those who were less successful, just as you find it "interesting" that a moderately successful white man understands that in addition to his own considerable virtues, he owes much to an environment that considered him capable of success -- and other such advantages.

Just admit it, guys. Nobody's going to take your whole life back. But for those forum members who are white -- and it seems to be most here -- is it really that painful to admit that had it all started differently for you, and you came down the chute in different circumstances, your outcomes would not have been identical?

PFnV

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Be patient good and sensitive gentle people, soon the "white devil" will be the minority then you can sit back and watch all The Others fight.
    What goes on today in large prisons all across America between the races is a small preview of your new "American Utopia"
    God Is Truly Great
    Death To The Great Satan America (it's coming)