Welcome to PatsFans.com

White Men Need Not Apply

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, May 31, 2009.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Supreme Court nominee's reaction to discriminated-against white firemen: Whatever.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

When "Whitey" is slapped around, insulted, degraded, discriminated against, made fun of and called "White Mother F-ckers" by the Racist Minority People it is just shrugged off by the Politically Correct, Pandering, A$s Kissing Glory Seeking Phony Do-Gooders.

INSULTING WHITE PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE IS NOT CONSIDERED RACIST BY THE DO-GOODER
    (but imagine how the poor little white kid feels)

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  3. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are allowed to be a racist so long as you aren't white :rolleyes:

Funny how anti-racism attempts are in their very nature racism :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i suppose... if you label any ridiculous thing "anti-racism", it becomes a convenient straw man...

on a side note...

isn't there a Sublime song that goes "my friend Efin is a Nazi".... ?

or was that Ebin?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +842 / 27 / -33

Judges are sworn to uphold the law, if they said the law suit is not viable.. present a legal argument, not comments from a partisan blog..

I can write a 500 page document on anything, and someone can say it is not viable.. it is not about quantity, but quality.

There has been a case going on in RI between the Child Advocate and the Department of Children Youth and families about innapropriate care of children in their care.. this case has been going on for the better part of 20 years.. recently the whole case was thrown out due to jurisdiction issues.. for cases to proceed they have to be based on law and merit, not volumunous amounts of information.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Sounds like a lot of white people are jealous of all the special privileges that blacks enjoy. When government institutions built up their police and fire forces through racist practices, the righties did not say anything. They only object to efforts to address that institutional racism. That's just one reason why today's Republican Party is considered by many to be racist.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,026 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

It's one thing to declare an exam prejudicial as has been done in the case of SAT exams. It's another to just not be happy with the results of the exam. Nobody has yet proven the exam was prejudiced ... they can't because it wasn't. The exam was based on the core material that was required to be known to get the promotion. You can't conveniently change the facts to suit your beliefs. The exam was fair and impartial ... let's stick to the issue and not add history where it does not apply. 16 black firefighters took the same exam, had they studies harder and preparred better the outcome will have been different.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

If you grow up in a community or a family of firemen and policemen, you will have inherited a lot of advantages that someone who did not grow up in that environment did not have. For instance, I have never been trained as a teacher, but both my parents were teachers, so I know a lot about teaching and that knowledge has served me very well in my career. That's the kind of legacy gives white people a leg up in any job that had previously discriminated against people of color. It's not an easy problem to address.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

If you have been a cop or fireman for a number of years doing the job, you should have to compete with your peers using the same creteria.

The built in advantage excuse shouldn't fly.

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

spin to support reverse discrimination...........

the moment you fail to reward solely by merit, it is discrimination regardless of race.......you can make all the excuses you want, but the hiring of inferior public servants is one of the biggest problems in society today.........

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Well, of course that's your point of view, since chances are you are white and recognize that reverse discrimination could hurt you, but choose to ignore the fact that past discrimination has given you advantages. Also, if you believe a test measures the superiority of one person over another, especially in something like firefighting or police work, then you have a far greater regard for tests than do most people. Lastly, what do you mean when you say that public employees are "inferior"? Who are you comparing them to? What standard of measure are you using?

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

AIRLINE PILOTS WANTED

Minorities Preferred
    No Experience Necessary
    Start Tomorrow

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

If my house is burning down and I lose a kid because a less qualified firefighter
    f'd up due to some lack of knowledge chronicled in a failed exam, I don't think I'd feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that this so called disadvantaged one was a least given a chance.

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So what?!

Ever been in a fire?

I don't just have a problem with firefighters who are unqualified but get on because they're plaid. I also have a problem with fat ones and ones on drugs. I also have a problem with ones who cant carry a 100lb duffle bag down a three-story ladder. Would you want to be on the third floor of building on fire, unable to move, and have a 5-2, 130 lb person show up to carry you out and down?

Give the same test and physical course to every firefighter once a year (or two). If you pass, you get in. If you fail two years later...you're out. I could care less what color or gender you are.

15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Since 1996 California has had Proposition 209, which banned race-based college admissions, making it truly race-blind and merit-based.

What happened? Asian Americans ended up taking 45% of the spots in California colleges.

In response, just this past year California got rid of Proposition 209. The funniest part is that this new change is projected to not even help any more Blacks or Hispanics get in, but add another 6% of White students into the UC system.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

OK kids lets play ball, remember now let Mongo have the ball because he's an Eskimo, tra la la twiddle dee dee

Teacher "Johnny, how much is two and two"
    Johnny "four"
    Teacher "Mongo, how much is two and two"
    Mongo "seven"
    Teacher "hooray, Mongo wins"

17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

This sounds moronic. The kids who do the best should get the spots regardless of ethnicity, If that means 100% Asian at Cal Tech & Berkeley so be it.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

No one in their right mind wants to hire unqualified firefighters, but as you pointed out testing is only one aspect of what makes someone qualified. If a black guy who has no relations in the fire departments scores 90 and a white guy who's dad spent 30 years in the fire department scores 94, do you think the white guy is definitively better. Test scores should only serve to help qualified people make intelligent decisions about who to hire based on many factors, including those you named. And, yes, firefighters should be periodically tested, I agree.

19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

hehe.....bunch of spinning bullcrap

1 - reverse discrimination cannot hurt me since I own my own business
    2 - I have been discriminated against in the past, so you're just spouting ignorance
    3 - given the test is the only common assessment of the applicants, and it is a hell of alot more reasonable than weighting those same test scores for minorities......
    4 - inferior/superior based on proven abilities in a given interview process........I don't look at race when hiring, and for given positions, I ask all applicants exactly the same questions and base my decisions on the success in answering those questions.....it really is the only fair way

20. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

I'm with you, man.

Merit alone. Not accidents of birth or political designations of preferment. The gov't is out of control with the bean counting.