9. Wendling
10. Gattis

^not in order but
Landry = Huff
Meriweather > Whitner talent wise
Nelson > Allen
Griffin > Bullocks
and then its better and deeper in talent

you said WEddle is faster and bigger..not really "faster" and definatley not bigger..Weddle is 5"11 202..hes only like 4 lbs heavier no big differnece

i think Hartwell would be a good pickup because hes proven in our system or a "very similar" one

The LB class is strong up front but lacks quality depth and not many would fit our strongside ILB which we need right away like Hartwell would play

theres a lot of undersized LBs in draft but BB already stated that undersized guys can definatley fit here

As part of his annual predraft scouting trip to Florida, Patriots coach Bill Belichick spent "quite a bit of time" with Florida State linebacker Ernie Sims. Belichick came away impressed, but the Lions ended up snatching Sims at No. 9, well before the Patriots picked (21st). Sims enters today's game against the Patriots with a team-high 109 tackles and has several of the qualities the Patriots generally seek. "He's a football guy. Business. Very competitive. Very intense," said Belichick, noting that even though Sims is undersized at 6 feet, 225 pounds, he still could have fit in the middle of a 3-4 defense. "I think football is important to him and he plays like it on the field. Every play he's after you."

"COUSIN" -
Lets get a couple things straight. That was not SANDERS getting beat by Peyton Manning. That was Eric Alexander who was getting beat. Alexander was in man coverage with help over the top. Some of it was Hawkins. Some of it was Sanders. The issue, though, was with Alexander. Because he couldn't stay with their TEs.

I don't know why Chad Scott wasn't on the field because he is who should have been covering those TEs. He may have been injured or something.

Now, I suggest you do more homework as others have pointed out. Bob Sanders is one of the better safeties in the league. And that was proven by the night and day difference of the Colts run defense.

Cousin, I respect your opinion. I agree with you on Bob Sanders. Superb DB. I was trying to make a point about the OTHER Sanders. He is not a starter IMO. I agree with you 100% on Scott not being in there.....why? I also agree it was Alexanders man, but in general in that game and others. Our Sanders is a weak link.
It's amusing to me that some on this thread state that our Sanders can't cover but can play in the box and tackle. Others say he can cover but not tackle. All I say is we need an upgrade. And Sanders sir (ours), took many a beating both on coverage and against the run. I am reacting to those in this site who claim I am way off and Sanders (ours) is improving. I think I have at least a passing on my homework, don't you?
DW Toys

actually this years is better

last year's rankings
1. Huff
2. Whitner
3. Allen
4. Bullocks
5. Bing
6. Simpson
7. Harper
8.Watkins
9. Smith
10. Pollard

This years:
1. Landry
2. Nelson
3. Meriweather
4. Griffin
5. Weddle
6.Rouse
7. Piscelleti
8. Johnson
9. Wendling
10. Gattis

^not in order but
Landry = Huff
Nelson > Allen
Griffin > Bullocks

you said WEddle is faster and bigger..not really "faster" and definatley not bigger..Weddle is 5"11 202..hes only like 4 lbs heavier no big differnece

i think Hartwell would be a good pickup because hes proven in our system or a "very similar" one

The LB class is strong up front but lacks quality depth and not many would fit our strongside ILB which we need right away like Hartwell would play

theres a lot of undersized LBs in draft but BB already stated that undersized guys can definatley fit here

Cousin, I agree with you Remax. Safety is deep as is WR lower down in the draft. Still think there was more Quality in all, last year. Not just my opinion.
Rather look a little lower for a safety and maybe package something for a Willis or hopefully get a Poz and take a Weddle, Wendling or Gattis later. Seen Weddle up to 210-211 or some in some articles. Just not sold on Nelson or Merriweather. I agree with you on Hartwell.
DW Toys

actually this years is better

last year's rankings
1. Huff
2. Whitner
3. Allen
4. Bullocks
5. Bing
6. Simpson
7. Harper
8.Watkins
9. Smith
10. Pollard

This years:
1. Landry
2. Nelson
3. Meriweather
4. Griffin
5. Weddle
6.Rouse
7. Piscelleti
8. Johnson
9. Wendling
10. Gattis

^not in order but
Landry = Huff
Nelson > Allen
Griffin > Bullocks

Yup, the Safety class is better this year. I think Hartwell would be good in NE's system, as well.

I like that quote:
As part of his annual predraft scouting trip to Florida, Patriots coach Bill Belichick spent "quite a bit of time" with Florida State linebacker Ernie Sims. Belichick came away impressed, but the Lions ended up snatching Sims at No. 9, well before the Patriots picked (21st). Sims enters today's game against the Patriots with a team-high 109 tackles and has several of the qualities the Patriots generally seek. "He's a football guy. Business. Very competitive. Very intense," said Belichick, noting that even though Sims is undersized at 6 feet, 225 pounds, he still could have fit in the middle of a 3-4 defense. "I think football is important to him and he plays like it on the field. Every play he's after you."
I guess maybe people will have to remind BB that Sims was to small, and undersized for NE's defense? Funny thing is Sims was more undersized than the 6'1.1" 242lbs Patrick Willis:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yup, the Safeties class is better this year. I think Hartwell would be good in NE's system, as well.

I like that quote:

I guess maybe people will have to remind BB that Sims was to small, and undersized for NE's defense? Funny thing is Sims was more undersized than the 6'1.1" 242lbs Patrick Willis:rolleyes:

I'm not saying anything other than you infer a lot from a Pre-Draft statement by BB. As if it meant anything to the reality of whom they actually choose to play on the Patriots.

I'm pretty happy with whom they drafted in Sims' stead, anywho.

Cousin, I agree with you Remax. Safety is deep as is WR lower down in the draft. Still think there was more Quality in all, last year. Not just my opinion.
Rather look a little lower for a safety and maybe package something for a Willis or hopefully get a Poz and take a Weddle, Wendling or Gattis later. Seen Weddle up to 210-211 or some in some articles. Just not sold on Nelson or Merriweather. I agree with you on Hartwell.
DW Toys

whats not to be sold on Meriweather? Nelson okay i agree because he played 1 year as a starter in a good college..he was at JUCO before that

Meriweather? Hes THE best cover safety in draft and he would easily be a top 15 pick without some issues. we met with him twice..thats a good sign..we give chances. its not like Meriweather killed a man or has had attitude problems over and over like TO/Randy

I'm not saying anything other than you infer a lot from a Pre-Draft statement by BB. As if it meant anything to the reality of whom they actually choose to play on the Patriots.

I'm pretty happy with whom they drafted in Sims' stead, anywho.

I don't believe that was a pre-draft statement, but something he said during this past season, when NE played against the Lions.

Last edited:
I don't believe that was a pre-draft statement, but something he said during this past season, when NE played against the Lions.

correct. it was 1 of those times where BB comments on the other teams best players

Still doesn't change the fact that BB is not going to say something negative about anyone in public. Right?

Still doesn't change the fact that BB is not going to say something negative about anyone in public. Right?
BB blow smoke up a rival player's skirt? Perish the thought.

whats not to be sold on Meriweather? Nelson okay i agree because he played 1 year as a starter in a good college..he was at JUCO before that

Meriweather? Hes THE best cover safety in draft and he would easily be a top 15 pick without some issues. we met with him twice..thats a good sign..we give chances. its not like Meriweather killed a man or has had attitude problems over and over like TO/Randy

Cousin,
He's O.K. only. He is not a particularly good tackler and they say in all publications, he gets swamped by bigger TE's and linemen. I see in publications on mock drafts he is falling to round two, rapidly. When he gets to three, he is of value. Remix, I think you and I agree that there are a few Safeties in three and four that drafted there, are a better value.
I suspect Merriweather has a value as a CB to some (he's a Geno clone) but maybe smaller.
Geno worked out o.k. at FS for a year and a half then got worse. Like to see him in the CB mix this year though.You have made some good points Remix.
BUT.....I think teams see Pacman and any inkling in this draft and it cost this stupid kids literally millions of dollars. Merriweather has cost himself millions. Agreed?
DW Toys

Cousin,
He's O.K. only. He is not a particularly good tackler and they say in all publications, he gets swamped by bigger TE's and linemen. I see in publications on mock drafts he is falling to round two, rapidly. When he gets to three, he is of value. Remix, I think you and I agree that there are a few Safeties in three and four that drafted there, are a better value.
I suspect Merriweather has a value as a CB to some (he's a Geno clone) but maybe smaller.
Geno worked out o.k. at FS for a year and a half then got worse. Like to see him in the CB mix this year though.You have made some good points Remix.
BUT.....I think teams see Pacman and any inkling in this draft and it cost this stupid kids literally millions of dollars. Merriweather has cost himself millions. Agreed?
DW Toys

what? Meriweather is a VERY GOOD tackler..i saw every game and scouts say it himself and u saw the senior bowl(i hope u did) he is not like Pacman..stfu with that

what? Meriweather is a VERY GOOD tackler..i saw every game and scouts say it himself and u saw the senior bowl(i hope u did) he is not like Pacman..stfu with that
Lighten up Francis! Don't shoot me. I am just the messenger (No pun intended). I don't watch this kid that much, I am just passing information that I gather from printed resources. I am no expert here. Never said I was. Scout.com only rates him as the sixth best safety in 2007.
Look, it's just interesting conversation. Neither one of us is actually going to influence the 2007 draft. Is that a fair statement? But Merriweather would be the first to admit he hurt himself in this draft. Tyler is another dude that cost himself money. They can all thank Pacman. Everyone in the NFL will be super sensitive in the 2007 draft.
I respect what you say.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill