4. Griffin
5. Weddle
6. Rouse
7. White
8. Gattis
9. Pisceletti
10. Johnson
11. Wendling

Rouse at #6? Have you watched him play, and read all the scouting reports on him? He's not that good of a Safety. He started out at LB but was converted to Safety because he wasn't physical enough to play LB. As a Safety he can get burned deep, and sometimes takes bad angles in coverag, and run support. Rouse also sometimes uses a somewhat unusual tackling technique which can cause him to miss tackles he shouldn't. I would put Wendling, and Gattis higher.

Last edited:
Drop Rouse, he sucks.

no he doesnt. Hes big, fast and hard hitter probably play in the box and blitz like Kerry Rhodes, Bob Sanders, Roy Williams and other fast Safeties who play up close often

and Wendling is worse in coverage..i gurantee u that.

Last edited:
no he doesnt. Hes big, fast and hard hitter probably play in the box and blitz like Kerry Rhodes, Bob Sanders, Roy Williams and other fast Safeties who play up close often

and Wendling is worse in coverage..i gurantee u that.

Rouse is no good.
Scouts Inc:
"Weaknesses: Former outside linebacker with some athletic limitations. Does he fit as an outside linebacker or strong safety in the NFL? He is high-cut and shows some stiffness in his hips. He has excellent straight-line speed but will struggle to change directions in space. He does not show the quick-twitch athleticism to match up one-on-one versus NFL slot receivers. He must also continue to improve his angles in run support. He can play out of control at times."
"However, while he has first-round tools, Rouse is an underachiever and a positional misfit from an NFL perspective. He doesn't play the game with enough aggressiveness or toughness to project as a linebacker and he makes too many mistakes in coverage to be trusted as a safety at this point. In our opinion, Rouse is too much of a boom-or-bust prospect to draft any earlier than the third round."
NFLDraftCountdown:
"Weaknesses:
A safety / linebacker 'tweener who may not have a true pro position...Does not play as fast as he times and is not exceedingly quick...Change of direction skills and agility are lacking...Is not very instinctive in coverage and doesn't have very good ball skills...Raw and is still learning a new position...He bounced around and was never able to master a single position...Has trouble controlling his emotions."
Footballsfuture:
"Rouse may be a tweener between linebacker and safety, and is a work in progress at either spot. As a linebacker, he must bulk up and get stronger to be able to hold up at the point of attack better. As a safety, he is raw in coverage and can get sloppy when asked to cover one on one."

The guy has to much bust potential to take him at Safety, in the first three rounds. Really to me Rouse is a Tampa 2 coverage backer.

Has great size and a very solid build...Timed speed is outstanding...Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run...Athletic and a good leaper...Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline...Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude...Versatile...Has good hands...Is still improving and has a lot of potential.

owerfully built with good upper body muscle definition, tight abdomen, big bubble, thick thighs and calves, long limbs and exceptional timed speed … More of an athlete than a football player, but shows good physicality in his play … Displays loose hips that allow him to smoothly transition out of his backpedal with no wasted motion … Has excellent leaping ability, getting a quick rise while making good body adjustments to get to the ball at its high point … Very aggressive tackler, but needs to play with better control, as he will get reckless and out-run the plays at times … Takes plays from the chalkboard to the playing field with no problems … Vocal leader of the secondary who does a nice job of making adjustments and calls … Responds well to hard coaching and plays with a line-backer's mentality … Shows good ball anticipation skills and has that explosive burst to get to the play in an instant … Has the vision to frame the receiver and quarterback and showed improvement in not biting on pump fakes … Can locate the ball in a crowd and has a good feel for taking proper angles to the ball in plays in front of him (just adequate with his back to the ball) … Has the fluid hips and quick feet to match up with any receiver, and looks natural in his turn-and-run motion, doing a good job of cutting off the inside routes … Will generally mirror the receiver throughout the route and shows the nimble feet to turn fluidly out of his pedal … Has a good feel for the receiver in his zone and gets a quick jump on the ball … Shows the burst to close and fill the gaps in run force (made 40 of his 59 plays against the run in 2006) … Keeps his feet when planting and driving, showing the second gear and burst to shadow and trail the receiver working underneath … Knows how to use his long arms to reach around or over the receiver to deflect the pass … Will not give up on plays and has the lateral range to fly to the perimeters … Shows very good vision eying the backfield and is alert to blocking schemes when stepping up inside the box … Glides up and down hill with good urgency and has the body control to shoot out of his breaks with no wasted motion … Physical between-the-tackles player who gets off blocks well when he keeps his hands inside his framework … Will torque and twist his frame to compete for jump balls (has track experience to rise quickly) … Catches outside his frame, but has not had many opportunities to make the interception (used more in run force as a senior than in the deep zone) … Hits with authority, showing the classic wrap-up technique and pop on contact to get the ball carrier down … Is a good run force safety due to his explosive closing burst and toughness making open-field plays … Hits with authority, putting full force behind his tackles and showed in 2006 that he has improved that technique, doing a much better job of attacking the ball carrier's outside leg to impede forward progress than he did earlier in his career … Not used much on the blitz, but has the quickness to surprise a lethargic offensive lineman coming off the edge … Can form up and maintain balance when striking.
^NFL.com

i never said hes a good fit for us..i mean he could be but we need a cover guy since Sanders can be the ugy against run

It's a darn shame that up until now Meriweather's idea of showing versatility was that he's as good with a handgun as he is fighting with opponents in the middle of a real football game - otherwise BB just might be zeroing in on him.

I heard an interview with Meriweather on some national radio show late on a Saturday and the guy really sounded like he had swallowed the reality pill about how messed up he's looked. This dude is my pick to be the best of all the safeties taken this year - I wonder if Bobo Kraft would say no dice to Brandon because he's a "thug"?

It's a darn shame that up until now Meriweather's idea of showing versatility was that he's as good with a handgun as he is fighting with opponents in the middle of a real football game - otherwise BB just might be zeroing in on him.

I heard an interview with Meriweather on some national radio show late on a Saturday and the guy really sounded like he had swallowed the reality pill about how messed up he's looked. This dude is my pick to be the best of all the safeties taken this year - I wonder if Bobo Kraft would say no dice to Brandon because he's a "thug"?

they met with him twice..a good sign

Who says he's not on the Pats radar? He's been on mine for awhile. I prefer Wendling over guys like Merriweather, Griffen and Nelson.
Cousin, Absolutely!
I have had this guy as a perfect Pats pick as well. This years draft is the worse in years. Merriweather and Nelson were round threes' last year. Wendling will cost less than a Merriweather or Nelson, he's bigger, smarter and he's faster and I am disappointed to see our safeties like Sanders, (why does everyone think he's so good or getting better?When was this? Peyton killed him. He's strictly a backup IMO) trying to cover any tight end. He's like 5'10" and a joke covering Gates or Crumpler.Wilson? Please......he's another 5'10" wonder at 185lbs (yes not 195lb-thats a lie and you know it), who has been going down hill for years when he is not busy getting hurt. I would like to keep Geno but as a CB where he belongs. Our most successful safeties over the last ten years have been guys like Milloy before age crept up on him and like Rodney at 6'1" and 215.
If they must waste a first round draft choice on a safety, I think a Griffin is the best choice because he is a sound ST player (7 blocked kicks), he's not a thug and he's not mentally challenged like Nelson. Both Merriweather and Nelson are Wilsons size. If we draft them what are we thinking!!!!?
DW Toys

Cousin, Absolutely!
I have had this guy as a perfect Pats pick as well. This years draft is the worse in years. Merriweather and Nelson were round threes' last year. Wendling will cost less than a Merriweather or Nelson, he's bigger, smarter and he's faster and I am disappointed to see our safeties like Sanders, (why does everyone think he's so good or getting better?When was this? Peyton killed him. He's strictly a backup IMO) trying to cover any tight end. He's like 5'10" and a joke covering Gates or Crumpler.Wilson? Please......he's another 5'10" wonder at 185lbs (yes not 195lb-thats a lie and you know it), who has been going down hill for years when he is not busy getting hurt. I would like to keep Geno but as a CB where he belongs. Our most successful safeties over the last ten years have been guys like Milloy before age crept up on him and like Rodney at 6'1" and 215.
If they must waste a first round draft choice on a safety, I think a Griffin is the best choice because he is a sound ST player (7 blocked kicks), he's not a thug and he's not mentally challenged like Nelson. Both Merriweather and Nelson are Wilsons size. If we draft them what are we thinking!!!!?
DW Toys
as a football player he is not smarter and on the field he is not faster..maybe stronger but not FASTER by any means on the field..trust me. timed speed isnt even better yet alone game speed

I'm not bashing what he brings to the table. There are just 5 safeties in the draft I'd take over him.

If he's available in the 3rd, I'd take him. Leadership is a great thing, but in the first round pick, I want more than leadership.

From NFLDraftCountdown:

Strengths:
Excellent size and tremendous bulk...Has outstanding timed speed considering his frame...Physical and aggressive...A playmaker with good leaping ability and body control...Solid tackler and does a superb job versus the run
...A hard worker and leader with elite intangibles...Very mart...Versatile...Has a good deal of upside.

Weaknesses:
Might not be quite as fluid, smooth or agile as his workout numbers would lead you to believe...He lacks great instincts...Needs some work on his technique and fundamentals...Does not always look real comfortable in coverage...Takes some false steps and poor angles at times...The level of competition may be a concern.

Notes:
Has experience at both free and strong safety and could project to either in the pros...Has everything you look for physically but doesn't always play up to those measurables...Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers...Underrated prospect who seems to be the total package and the vast majority of his flaws are correctable...Could end up being a big steal for someone

Cousin,
What five safeties are that much better? Sleepy(Landry), Dopey (Nelson) or Thugy (Merriweather)? Why do we insist that a 5'10" safety is a good thing in the NFL anymore? Haven't we seen enough of Wison and Sanders getting stomped? Look at the size of the tight ends today. Why do we insist that if you play for LSU or Florida you are "Prime Beef"? I see Jackson and Hill don't you, and I see HYPE!
Take a look at tackles and PBU cousins. The best of the bunch is Griffin and actually Wendling on paper is better than Sleepy, Dopey and Thugy. Example: Nelson had like 51 tackles and Griffin 127. I think Wendling had 77.
DW Toys

Cousin,
What five safeties are that much better? Sleepy(Landry), Dopey (Nelson) or Thugy (Merriweather)? Why do we insist that a 5'10" safety is a good thing in the NFL anymore? Haven't we seen enough of Wison and Sanders getting stomped? Look at the size of the tight ends today. Why do we insist that if you play for LSU or Florida you are "Prime Beef"? I see Jackson and Hill don't you, and I see HYPE!
Take a look at tackles and PBU cousins. The best of the bunch is Griffin and actually Wendling on paper is better than Sleepy, Dopey and Thugy. Example: Nelson had like 51 tackles and Griffin 127. I think Wendling had 77.
DW Toys

Texas defense sucked this year..Griffin had to make a lto of tackles and actually wether its his fault or not, he didnt play aswell as he did as a junior

Nelson didnt need 100 tackles..he played back a lot

Meriweather had a low amount of tackles because he played CB second half of season because the CBs werent getting it done and safety depth was better than CB at Miami. dont look at stats..

why do we insist 5"10-5"11 safeties are good? Whats wrong with them?
-Bob Sanders 5"8
-Ed Reed 5"11
-Brian Dawkins 6"0
-Donte Whitner 5"11
-Michael Huff 6"0
-Mike Brown 5"10
-Nick Collins 5"11
-Tony Parrish 5"11

theres nothing wrong with shorter safeties..height doesnt make a difference really. its more of bulk and luck if you mean injuriesl

you dont need to be 6"2 220 or a "big" safety..we dont plan on using these guys in the box..Sanders can play run..were looking at someone to start next to sanders in a few years. a playmaker..a top cover safety

Cousin,
DW Toys

If you think Wendling is a better pick than Landry, Merriweather, Griffin, Nelson, or Weddle for that matter, you've been smoking too much ganje. That would also explain why you think we're cousins.

Add me to the list of folk who think Merriweather hasn't gotten a fair shake. Like our favorite player, Rodney, ain't exactly Mr. Clean on the field either.

If you think Wendling is a better pick than Landry, Merriweather, Griffin, Nelson, or Weddle for that matter, you've been smoking too much ganje. That would also explain why you think we're cousins.

Add me to the list of folk who think Merriweather hasn't gotten a fair shake. Like our favorite player, Rodney, ain't exactly Mr. Clean on the field either.

a lot of safeties have some "issues on the field"

-Meriweather - he stomped on a guy..
-Weddle - i remember he got beat once for a long gain and he threw the guy in a very cheap way after the play was over because his anger
-Rouse - hits people late..1 of the "dirtiest" players in the draft

as a football player he is not smarter and on the field he is not faster..maybe stronger but not FASTER by any means on the field..trust me. timed speed isnt even better yet alone game speed

Cousin,
Merriweather is like a 4.52, Nelson is a 4.49 and Wendling a 4.46. Am I wrong? I have not heard that Wendling does not play to his speed. Sorry if that is not true, but have not heard this. Why would we want another 5'10" , 190 lb safety like Nelson and Merriweather. Didn't Peyton prove that?
I am not saying Wendling is better but at least as good in the long run for a lower round choice. Doesn't another UF player like Nelson scare the beejeepers out of you as in wasted pick?
DW Toys

Cousin,
Merriweather is like a 4.52, Nelson is a 4.49 and Wendling a 4.46. Am I wrong? I have not heard that Wendling does not play to his speed. Sorry if that is not true, but have not heard this. Why would we want another 5'10" , 190 lb safety like Nelson and Merriweather. Didn't Peyton prove that?
I am not saying Wendling is better but at least as good in the long run for a lower round choice. Doesn't another UF player like Nelson scare the beejeepers out of you as in wasted pick?
DW Toys

yes your wrong.

Meriweather - 4.45, 4.47
Nelson - ran a 4.35, 4.37
Wendling - 4.48, 4.49

what did Peyton do to us? Marvin was held in check by Samuel..a 5"10 CB
Hobbs played with cast but i thought he played real hard

the LBs have trouble .. Sanders's height has nothing to do with him getting beat..hesn ot a cover safety imo. Hawkins is slow and getting old..hes servicable but not a good starter imo

a UF player scare me? im not scared of CJ..he got hurt..didnt study playbook like he should have. oh well..he'll catch on. 2 different positions, 2 different guys..you cant just say because a UF player didnt perform as expected that any Florida player wont

we need a playmaker and top guy at Safety..thats why we need Meriweather/Landry/Nelson/Griffin or Weddle really..

Texas defense sucked this year..Griffin had to make a lto of tackles and actually wether its his fault or not, he didnt play aswell as he did as a junior

Nelson didnt need 100 tackles..he played back a lot

Meriweather had a low amount of tackles because he played CB second half of season because the CBs werent getting it done and safety depth was better than CB at Miami. dont look at stats..

why do we insist 5"10-5"11 safeties are good? Whats wrong with them?
-Bob Sanders 5"8
-Ed Reed 5"11
-Brian Dawkins 6"0
-Donte Whitner 5"11
-Michael Huff 6"0
-Mike Brown 5"10
-Nick Collins 5"11
-Tony Parrish 5"11

theres nothing wrong with shorter safeties..height doesnt make a difference really. its more of bulk and luck if you mean injuriesl

you dont need to be 6"2 220 or a "big" safety..we dont plan on using these guys in the box..Sanders can play run..were looking at someone to start next to sanders in a few years. a playmaker..a top cover safety

Touche on the height cousin,
Good point. But the weight and strength. Bob Sanders is like 210. Merriweather and Nelson are about 188-190 lbs. Everyone of these guys you mentioned are 205-220 correct? Had one guy that said our Sanders was good in the run and bad in coverage. Had another say he was good in coverage and bad on the run. Lets all be honest out there and say #1-He is not improving #2 he is not getting any bigger and like Geno he is a small safety that the new breed on TE run over or Peyton just kills. I will say this about Sanders, he may not cover well or play in the box that good, but he would make a great back up. Please....I beg of you! Tell me what everybody sees in this guy as improving every game. We aren't talking Bob Sanders here cousins. I just think in two or three years like the "experts" say, Wendling can be a steal. Nelson played for FLA.Been there haven't we? Merriweather is a great CB.
All your points are well taken though, Thank you.
DW Toys

Touche on the height cousin,
Good point. But the weight and strength. Bob Sanders is like 210. Merriweather and Nelson are about 188-190 lbs. Everyone of these guys you mentioned are 205-220 correct? Had one guy that said our Sanders was good in the run and bad in coverage. Had another say he was good in coverage and bad on the run. Lets all be honest out there and say #1-He is not improving #2 he is not getting any bigger and like Geno he is a small safety that the new breed on TE run over or Peyton just kills. I will say this about Sanders, he may not cover well or play in the box that good, but he would make a great back up. Please....I beg of you! Tell me what everybody sees in this guy as improving every game. We aren't talking Bob Sanders here cousins. I just think in two or three years like the "experts" say, Wendling can be a steal. Nelson played for FLA.Been there haven't we? Merriweather is a great CB.
All your points are well taken though, Thank you.
DW Toys
hey..u dont expect college players to stay the same size do you? Many of them gain quiet a bit of muscle when they come to NFL because the NFL Strength/Conditioning and Diet program. Wendling could be a steal but i wouldnt take him till 4th-5th..we still need a top prospect

hey..u dont expect college players to stay the same size do you? Many of them gain quiet a bit of muscle when they come to NFL because the NFL Strength/Conditioning and Diet program. Wendling could be a steal but i wouldnt take him till 4th-5th..we still need a top prospect

Cousin, I agree, but there has to be more life out there than Merriweather and Nelson. You are very in-tune here and you comments have merit so I am sure you will agree that the draft this year is awful and Merriweather and Nelson were third rounders in 2006.
Lets forget these two. The more we all talk about them, the worse they are appearing. In your opinion, give me the name of some safety out there that you think the Pats can draft that will help? There has to be someone. I respect your opinion.
DW Toys

i actually think this years class is better than last year overall

if Meriweather/Landry came out last year they were 1st rounders easily..Nelson probably not..only started 1 yr

i think for us:

Landry
Meriweather
Griffin
Marvin White
Gattis
Weddle are best fits

all smart, hard working players and leaders aswell as versatile. Nelson is a guy im not really sold on however

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey