Welcome to PatsFans.com

White House rips UK for withdrawal

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 3, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

look everyone!! the Bush League, having alienated most of the globe against its citizens, is now turning on Britain for having the common sense to pull out ... what a sad, transparent, insecure cabal we have at Pennsylvania Ave.

White House Retaliates Against UK For Withdrawal: ‘British Forces Have Performed Poorly’ In Iraq

This week, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced that he would reduce British presence in Iraq from 5,500 troops to 4,500 by Christmas. The Guardian reports today that Brown will cut “significantly more than the 1,000 announced yesterday” by next year.

In response to the withdrawal announcement, the White House has decided to slander Britain. The London Telegraph reports today that a senior White House official has revoked Britain’s status of being “the closest Bush ally“:

The White House official added that Britain would always be "the cornerstone" of US policy towards Europe but there was "a lot of unhappiness" about how British forces had performed in Basra and an acceptance that Mr Brown would pull the remaining 4,500 troops out of Iraq next year.

"Operationally, British forces have performed poorly in Basra," said the official. "Maybe it's best that they leave. Now we will have a clear field in southern Iraq." Another White House official described Mr Brown as "challenging" and far less close to the US than Mr Blair.

There has been a notable reduction in contact between Downing Street and the White House since Mr Blair left and US officials have remarked on how few British ministers have visited Washington in recent months.​

When Britain’s future in Iraq was up for debate, however, the White House showered praise on the new Prime Minister. “I found a person who shares [my] vision and who understands the call,” President Bush said of Gordon Brown in July. “You’ve proved your worthiness as a leader, and I thank you for that.”

The White House has also praised the work of British troops. “[T]hey had made progress in southern Iraq,” said Vice President Cheney in February.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Totally childish to now say they underperformed, whoever the official was. The rest of it just reflects the reality, that better relations with France and Germany make UK less important strategically at this time. Anyone know if there was any evidence they performed poorly? I had thought conditions in Basra were better than most of the country from pretty much the start of the war. Sounds more like a petty response to disappointment that they thought Brown would continue Blair's policy when he did not. There was evidently some anger on the US side that he was giving different versions of his plans depending on whether he was in London or Washington.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

I've read on some blogs a couple of years ago that the Brits were letting a lot of things go in the south. But that's not to say they didn't perform well. The south is different than Anbar, and Baghdad though. The south almost doesn't need a presence to quell any insurgency as they are primarily Shia & are the majority. Anbar is predominantly Sunni, is the minority, and viewed the US as a threat to their survival. The Brits didn't really want to be police from what I read, and actually moved out of the urban area's a while ago. They kind of got out of the way a couple of years back as they thought they were more of a nusance than a help. Where the US is stationed is far more hectic, and complex. Bahgdad is mixed ethnicity, and Anbar was AQ/insurgency territory.

If I might add, it's an unnamed "white house official" and it's being reported on Thinkprogressive. Excuse me If I'll wait to see who the person is, or what the official statements are. I Googled and couldn't find any negative press save for TG.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

The UK:
    They need the troops at home to keep an eye on their "Muslim Doctors"

5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This reads like an Onion story.

... with too much garlic on top.

//

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ah yes... positive administration news is gospel, negative administration news is mere satire... i think we understand your goofy assessment...

anyhow, i suppose the Telegraph isn't worthy, according to RW... and this story has 'no legs' until the entirety of the american corporate media grabs hold... sorta like the Downingstreet Memo... we're still waiting for Fox News to mention one word on that smoking gun...

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"goofy assessment"??? Dude, I ain't the one who invented the Onion. Talk with your brethren at MSNBC. And please hold your blushing cheeks over some skepticism about this cranky report. Sounds like a plant to me. A big red herring floating on top of the borscht.

//

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

of course it does to you... the classic "it must be planted" deduction is the only way you're able to rationalize such unflattering news about your Bush League in that head of yours...

tell you what... when other media sources pick up on it and it's confirmed, will you promise to leave for a month?

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does that "alienation" include France, who recently elected the most pro-American leader they've had since Charles de Gaulle...?

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

de Gaulle wasn't all that "pro-American"; he just acknowledged that the U.S. saved France's collaborative Vichy ass. But he wasn't insanely anti-American, either. He was... well, French.

//

11. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"classics" get that way because they have stood the test of time, something you Left-overs have been trying for years but still can't get the hang of.

So your "other media sources" would be whom??? The Walter Duranty NY Times??? The Wood-Stein WashPast??

Forget it, dude. You can take a hike. I'm staying.

//

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what does this post even mean, exactly? do you even know what the word collaboration means? did the Vichy faction make up all of France as a whole back then? And your final sentence, what does that refer to, exactly? Spell it out for we who are not in your frightening, "nuke 'em all" bubble....

also, i suppose you won't be taking that challenge earlier... seems your not that confident it's a "planted" story afterall, are you?

13. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I guess if our troops performed badly you won't be calling on them again. We'll see on that one. As for the Telegraph, well, it's known here as the Torygraph. It is the most unashamedly right-wing of the broadsheets and is the paper of choice for Conservatives. You could therefore say that they are printing a story that embarrasses the government.
    I should also point out that revoking our status of "closest ally" is MORE likely to win votes than to lose them at this point. I'm not agreeing that this is a good thing, just saying that the depth of Anti-Americanism, which I consider racist and across the political spectrum, is not to be underestimated.
    I have to say that the British troops seem to have done their job reasonably well, given it is something for which they are not trained. I'd say the same of the Americans.

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Try finding out what *really* happened in WWII (or anytime else, for that matter) instead of what they tell you at moveon.org and Thinkprogress (yeah, right, some "progress" living in the stone age).

And I'll thank your lying keyboard fingers for not mis-representing what I said: I never said, "nuke 'em all"; I said: nuke the Chinese in 1950 when it would have prevented Mao and company from slaughtering some 100 MILLION Chinese for being "counter-revolutionaries". It's too late for that now, not that you could care less about those hundreds of millions slaughtered in the name of "the workers' paradise".

//

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ouch... so much for your theory, Moonie... somehow i doubt "planted" information would get in the Telegraph...

fine point... however, despite what most Fox News worshippers here believe, American is not a race... how is Anti-Americanism racist?... it's an ideology, no?.... though, i do think i get your point... America is the world's most diverse country... even though it's been taken over by the new repression party...

16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

still waiting for you to clarify your goofy statement about the Vichy "collaboration", and what they had to do with France, overall...

you routinely have "nuke em all" sentiment... communists, arabs, persians, gays... don't sugarcoat now, o master of the biggoted and intolerant...

here's a direct question, Fog.... if you could conveniently round up all the Earth's homosexuals and put them on an island somewhere, would you not nuke them? starve them? come on, be honest... how bout all the Earth's communists? same thing?

it's ok.... i think the forum knows your deep down answer... our favorite "Christian" wants so badly to play God and determine mankind's fate, one bloviating sermon at a time... what a sad, hateful legacy you're going to leave behind to the 20 or 30 people who actually listen to you...

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, what about 250 MILLION people killed by your heros, Lenin, Marx, and Mao??? When are you going to reveal your stance on them and what they did to all those people??

Never mind. We all know. You reveal it every time you fling one of your "PoS" epithets at someone. Then you cry like a baby when someone tosses it right back at you. No hypocrisy in your family. You've got it all.

//

18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personal insults will not be tolerated in this forum. At least that's what the liberal moderator keeps telling me... he sure doesn't seem to mind all the personal insults you are constantly throwing out though.... I wonder why that is... hmmmmm....

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

probably because i documented how you earned every example you provided in that locked thread... or perhaps because i respond to people like you, not instigate...

what are you, 7?

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i'll let you continue talking to yourself...

but for the record, as i've shown you time and time again, i don't cry... i deal with you precisely the way you deserve it... with equal and appropriate fire...

still waiting for an example of where i've called someone here a PoS... but don't let that stop you from just making up stuff... i mean, it's what you do...