PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whining will be LdT's legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Collinsworth mentioned on Sunday night that even if that Bailey strip was reviewed, the call wouldn't have changed because of 'simultaneous catch' or something like that. Did I get it wrong? (Collinsworth admitted that it wouldn't obviously satisfy any of the Chargers.)
I heard that too. Collinworth said unreviewable. He wasn't very sympathetic either, he's one tough dude, and was tougher player.

Even if it is one call that the ref's blew, boy what an awful mistake. I do pity the Chargers for such a cruel twist of fate.

Even though I consider Mr. Tomlinson as a perpetual crybaby, I sympathize with him (and their team) for this wretched decision that robbed them their W. So, I am prepared to fully support their anguish and complaints over this.
Nice to see people with objetive viewpoints.

I agree with everyone who thinks that call did not lose SD the game. Giving up 39 points made them lose the game.

The patriots last year were the brunt of bad calls because they were always winning. Moss was getting raped at the end of the year and he never said a word about it. It is what it is. LT should shut up, put his hannibal jacket back on and go sit on the bench like a little kid.

The only reason why I see where the author is coming from on this is because Cutler's fumble wasn't forced. The Chargers didn't personally do anything to earn the victory, the Broncos just handed them the game and then got bailed out by the ref. If Cutler hadn't committed that fumble (which was nothing to do with the Chargers) then the Broncos would have won anyway. Yes the Chargers should have won and yes they got screwed, but I think one of the main reasons they ended up losing is because they are the type of team to dwell on how get screwed over rather than to suck it up and focus on stopping the Broncos like they would have had to do in the first place. The fact that the ref blew the call and the Chargers should have won doesn't mean they deserved to.

Well said Wildo.

Like I said earlier, to a man the Chargers players AND coaches has said time to move on. I agree with what you say about the Patriots, but to say the Chargers haven't handled this pretty well is being a bit too critical. I'm pretty proud of them.
To a man, yes. But not Baby LT. I saw him on NFLNetwork whining and crying about the call and how it cost them the game, but they would soldier on.

LdT's inability to play with any kind or soreness is what cost them the game.

He ought to study Eddie George.

If it happened to the Pats, every player on the roster would have said that it was time to move on and concentrate on the next game by now. Privately, they would have been pissed, and a couple of them might have made public mention of it, but by now it would be a dead issue. It was a terribly blown call, and I don't blame the fans for raising holy hell about it, but the players shouldn't be focused on it anymore. Of course, since the Chargers are playing the Jets next week, I guess they can afford to dwell on this for a couple more days anyways.
That's the difference between the Pats and the Chargers. You all know me, spacecrime, and I'm a classy guy, but the Chargers are a bunch of whiners and it comes from the head coach.

Yes, I feel for them, and if the Pats lost that way, you're right: I'd be complaining along with most of us here

BUT here's teh point you are missing: The Pats players would not be in front of cameras whining. I would be very disappointed if the Pats players whined like LdT does

If he hadn't told us, I wouldn't even realize that he was a very classy guy.

You dont think a single NE player would make a statement to the media (when continuously bombarded with questions) about such a blantantly horrible call? A call that decided the outcome? You're full of it, of course they would.

I agree with everyone who thinks that call did not lose SD the game. Giving up 39 points made them lose the game.

The patriots last year were the brunt of bad calls because they were always winning. Moss was getting raped at the end of the year and he never said a word about it. It is what it is. LT should shut up, put his hannibal jacket back on and go sit on the bench like a little kid.

That's absurd. The game was won. Over... Done. Sometimes teams have close games...ever heard of that? When you give a team additional downs, it's usually hard to overcome. To dismiss the loss as we shouldnt have let them score X amount of points is just dumb. Should we have stopped them?...sure. But it never should have come to that. And you're comparing holding penalties to a game deciding call? Your blatant jealousy of LT has exposed your lack of insight.

So Ed Huchuli screwed up by not being able to tell the difference between the arm coming forward or going back when the ball came out. That's an incredibly tough call to make to the naked eye, full speed, so I don't really fault him for it. I think the problem is that the rule says he has to whistle any incomplete pass dead. Any incomplete pass that is in any way close to a fumble should be allowed to be played out, then ruled an incomplete pass, then challenged or booth reviewed. That way if it turns out that it was a fumble, we know what happened, and if it wasn't, they just resume as normal. Asking a ref to make the final decision in a split second, from a difficult angle at full speed is asking for mistakes.

On a related note, I'm surprise that not one person has brought up Shanahan's culpability in this. When Hochuli openly explained that it was a fumble recovered by the Chargers but he screwed it up, why didn't Shanahan just give the Chargers the ball or spike it on 4th down? I guarantee that if Belichick was Shanahan in this situation there would be no end of grief over such a "cheap" move.

Last edited:
You dont think a single NE player would make a statement to the media (when continuously bombarded with questions) about such a blantantly horrible call? A call that decided the outcome?
Nope, they have been screwed many times by refs, as have all teams, but they did not complain publicly.

We at Patsfans do, of course, but we are fans and that's what fans do.

But the players do not.

You're full of it
Always classy, you San Diego fans. When you are have no clue what you are talking about, insult the people who do.

It's not your fault you don't realize how Patriot players behave. You assume they behave like the only players you know: The San Diego Cryers. But believe me, you are the one who is full of it. Patriot players do not whine publicly about calls. I have NEVER heard a Patriot put on a display like LdT did on NFLN.

Last edited:
Lots of good points in this thread. Lets not forget the "vaunted" SD secondary with Cromartie,Jammer and Cason got burned for 39. 18 catches to Marshall? Another reason you dont want to win a game by "only" 1 play/1 score. NO, you wouldnt hear any complaining by any Pats, lots on here though..
A good team would use this as poster board material, a bad one will cry about it. Its just one game, and unless it happened to us last season(and screwed up the "perfection") it can be overcome--its only game 2. But I wont go so far as to say a single game doesnt matter, as I am sure the Giants won a game last season by 1 play, which means they got into the playoffs by 1 play, which means they won the super bowl by 1 play.....
I am LOVING Sproles though, LdT's legacy might be the next superstar to lose his job and be run out of town after winning MVP ala that Seattle RB...cant even remember his name anymore,lol.

Like I said earlier, to a man the Chargers players AND coaches has said time to move on. I agree with what you say about the Patriots, but to say the Chargers haven't handled this pretty well is being a bit too critical. I'm pretty proud of them.

Fair enough, I probably spoke a little too critically on that one. I actually edited the post shortly after making it for that very reason. Generally speaking, if a team is still dwelling on stuff like this the Tuesday after the game, that's not a good sign. In this case, though, they a) have a really obvious and legitimate gripe, and b) they're playing the Jets on Sunday anyways, who they can probably beat with their eyes closed. The Chargers will be fine.

I can still pretty confidently say, though, that it's not a good sign when LT is on TV still griping about this call. The team has gotta get over it and move on.

Last edited:
1.) The Chargers won the game on that play. Every other ridiculous "yeah but" by you or anyone else is meaningless. The game was over.

2.) That call was not the only call that the Chargers got hosed on. There was another play that also led to a touchdown for the Broncos, because the replay equipment wasn't working at the time. The Chargers got screwed over in the game.
it's good to see a couple pats fans here are true unbiased football fans, and can see past the hate.

i actually understand the whole 'players shouldn't whine'

but IMO you drop it after week 2, and officially week 2 ended monday night, if the players are still talking about it after monday night, then it's a problem, as they should have moved on to the next opponent

what pisses me off is i was proud that rivers had never thrown an int to champ, and now the refs gave champ a fake int on PR.

now let's ask you pats fans this one, if you had brady going against a great cb who talked a little **** about brady , but a guy brady could never intercept, wouldn't that piss you right the f off if that bastard was given a free int they didn't earn?

i actually understand the whole 'players shouldn't whine'

but IMO you drop it after week 2, and officially week 2 ended monday night, if the players are still talking about it after monday night, then it's a problem, as they should have moved on to the next opponent

what pisses me off is i was proud that rivers had never thrown an int to champ, and now the refs gave champ a fake int on PR.

now let's ask you pats fans this one, if you had brady going against a great cb who talked a little **** about brady , but a guy brady could never intercept, wouldn't that piss you right the f off if that bastard was given a free int they didn't earn?

I'd be pissed about that and the rest of the game. I can't complain about SD players and fans being upset about those BS calls. I just hope they take it out on the jets.

That's absurd. The game was won. Over... Done. Sometimes teams have close games...ever heard of that? When you give a team additional downs, it's usually hard to overcome. To dismiss the loss as we shouldnt have let them score X amount of points is just dumb. Should we have stopped them?...sure. But it never should have come to that. And you're comparing holding penalties to a game deciding call? Your blatant jealousy of LT has exposed your lack of insight.

I'll use some insight from madden as mine is lacking, "The team that scores more points than the other team usually wins." Seems reasonable and hard to dismiss.

Is this really all that important to you in the grand scheme of things? No offense, but this comment sounds like something LdT might say--that their pride has been wrongly impunged. I would think you guys have much bigger things to worry about, like trying to get into the playoffs for instance.

My main issue is simply that he emphasized that it's the refs that should be held accountable. Duh. This is vintage Tomlinson.

I honestly don't think I have ever cared who made the interception or sack. I don't feel better or worse depending on who did it. They all make me mad, good or bad call.

I've also never understood why fans get so fired up when someone talks about their players but have no problem about their players doing it. With all the talking and dancing the Chargers do, how can you get upset when opponenets do it back?

What I'd be concerned about if I were a Charger fan is not the refs, not Champ getting a free int, or anything like that. I'd be concerned that without Shawn Merriman in the QBs face, my vaunted secondary couldn't cover anyone on Sunday.

The game was over if the right call was made. That was not the case in 2001.
True but not to the point. My point was that in both cases the offended team still had the chance to win, arguably as good or better a chance as their opponent, but they failed to do so and after failing to do so they blamed the official instead of themselves.

True but not to the point. My point was that in both cases the offended team still had the chance to win, arguably as good or better a chance as their opponent, but they failed to do so and after failing to do so they blamed the official instead of themselves.

They blamed who they should have blamed. How many times should a team have to win a game?

They blamed who they should have blamed. How many times should a team have to win a game?

Now that last season is over: does this apply to the Ravens game last year?

Okay, not really comparable. This one was incredibly clear cut, not just something the team and its fans say. The ref says it, the announcers say it, the columnists say it, everybody says it.

But someone asked how we'd feel if it were the Pats. I'd be pissed. The only thing that would piss me off more is if the Pats spent their time and energy the following week letting it eat them up... then lost the next game.

I hate to say this sort of thing, because the moment you say it your own team does it (things like "you don't see the Pats getting busted for possession..." blah blah blah.)

BUT... I don't remember the Pats ever saying anything other than "well you know sometimes you get the call, sometimes you don't, these things even out, we had the opportunity to win the game, that was one of 60 some plays..." etc.

I think what the argument is, is that the Chargers got jobbed and everybody knows it... but that they weight that bad call wrongly. The question isn't "how could we have lost that one crucial play," it's "how could they rob us... and how could we give up 30 odd points BEFORE then to make it even matter?"

I can understand Lady Tom feeling that way (or Norv, for that matter.) But it's on them to deal with it without blatantly blaming everything negative from the week on it.

I dunno. Just because our guys (thus far) handle it differently doesn't mean that's the only way to handle it. It sure does seem the more disciplined approach though, and it seems like the approach more likely to get it behind you or channeled. There's no power in self-pity.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey