PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whining will be LdT's legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't won on a blown call; it was won when San Diego failed to successfully cover a rookie WR as he ran the same route on back-to-back plays.

Good teams overcome bad calls. Period.

No, the game was over until a call was blown. No matter how many times you people start up with the "but" nonsense, you'll never change that fact. The game was over. It was Chargers ball and Denver had no way to prevent San Diego from running out the clock. The game was over before Royals catches in the endzone even had a chance to occur.

I like how everyone says "Well, they had chances to stop them after". It should have never gotten to that point. The game should have been over. I dislike crybaby LT as much as anybody, but it was a screw job.

I don't care what anyone says, Ed Hochuli is still the best ref in the NFL. He shouldn't have blown the play dead though, any incomplete pass that looks like it might be a fumble should be played out without a whistle and hen decided on after.

But, the NFL rulebook states that he has to blow the whistle there if he thinks it's a forward pass. It's not like the fumble rule where the refs don't blow the whistle. The rule is different when the QB is trying to throw.

"A tough way to lose" said Ladainian Tomlinson, who was held to 26 yards with a bad toe. "The officials should be accountable."

FOX Sports on MSN - Mark Kriegel - Chargers' woe-is-us act wearing thin
To a man, the Chargers have moved on. You will not find a single quote from any Charger after Sunday that doesn't include something like "we're 0-2 we have to move on". BTW, do you disagree with those two statements or the way he said them? Doesn't sound like whining to me, sounds like telling it like it is. Can't imagine the uproar if the same thing had happened to the Patriots, and rightly so. It was a travesty. It's done now, time to move on. But I don't begrudge anyone saying something like that considering the circumstances, Charger OR Patriot.

"A tough way to lose" said Ladainian Tomlinson, who was held to 26 yards with a bad toe. "The officials should be accountable."

FOX Sports on MSN - Mark Kriegel - Chargers' woe-is-us act wearing thin

You do realize that he has a valid point. There were two calls that would have changed the entire outcome of the game.

1) The NFL's replay equipment not working is no excuse for then not being able to do a replay. That equipment is supposed to be checked and ensured to be funtioning prior to the start of the game.

2) Hochuli blew the call at the end of the game and Shanahan knew that he didn't want to give the Chargers even a remote chance of winning the game. Shanahan knew that the Chargers were being screwed over and he didn't care. He only cared about his team "winning".

I see nothing wrong with LdT or anyone else in the Chargers organization having an issue with taking the Refs to task.

They still had a chance to stop Denver from scoring. Couple of 'em actually. Whining begets a loser mentality, which is why Bill will not allow it here. Life is full of tough breaks, it's whether or not you are mentally tough enough to overcome them that makes the difference in succeeding or failing.
How many times have you taken a mulligan, at anything, and done it better the second time? They should have never gotten that Mulligan.

And hey, maybe they should have shown up to play a little sooner and taken the refs as well as the opponent out of the equation... that has also been a recurring theme for the Chargers.
And maybe the refs and their tech people should have shown up earlier and made sure the replay gear was working. The TD at the end of the game wasn't the only gift to the Broncos. There was also a replay that wasn't reviewed because of equipment malfunction that led to a Bronco TD. But I guess if it happened to the Patriots you would have said they should have stopped them anyway,eh? Right:rolleyes:

You do realize that he has a valid point. There were two calls that would have changed the entire outcome of the game.

1) The NFL's replay equipment not working is no excuse for then not being able to do a replay. That equipment is supposed to be checked and ensured to be funtioning prior to the start of the game.

2) Hochuli blew the call at the end of the game and Shanahan knew that he didn't want to give the Chargers even a remote chance of winning the game. Shanahan knew that the Chargers were being screwed over and he didn't care. He only cared about his team "winning".

I see nothing wrong with LdT or anyone else in the Chargers organization having an issue with taking the Refs to task.
This is why I like this board. Guys that can see both sides. My respect for a few of you has really grown, not that it means anything to anyone! LOL.

They still had a chance to stop Denver from scoring. Couple of 'em actually. Whining begets a loser mentality, which is why Bill will not allow it here. Life is full of tough breaks, it's whether or not you are mentally tough enough to overcome them that makes the difference in succeeding or failing.

Mo - Normally, I'd agree with you. However, even the most mentally tough teams can get deflated over a horrible call that, literally, cost them the game. When a call like that happens, its a harsh blow to the team morale and its not something that is easily over-come. And the Patriots have shown that as well.

And hey, maybe they should have shown up to play a little sooner and taken the refs as well as the opponent out of the equation... that has also been a recurring theme for the Chargers.

What is your excuse for the 1st play where the replay equipment wasn't working? That is the fault of the NFL.

Borges is right - essentially saying to the JETS if you fail to learn from the past you are doomed to repeating the same mistakes.

You agree with something Wrong Bogus says? That is just WRONG.:D

This is why I like this board. Guys that can see both sides. My respect for a few of you has really grown, not that it means anything to anyone! LOL.

OH god.. MO.. Please disregard everything I've posted in this thread. There is no way I can be correct because PAO agrees with me. Sorry about that.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
But, the NFL rulebook states that he has to blow the whistle there if he thinks it's a forward pass. It's not like the fumble rule where the refs don't blow the whistle. The rule is different when the QB is trying to throw.
Except the ball went backward which makes it a lateral, not a forward pass. How could he think it was a forward pass?

OH god.. MO.. Please disregard everything I've posted in this thread. There is no way I can be correct because PAO agrees with me. Sorry about that.:rolleyes:
LOL, sorry, I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. But gotta be there if I agree if I give you a hard time when I disagree.

Thanx,DaB...I just threw up my plate of kung pao shrimp in my mouth

Except the ball went backward which makes it a lateral, not a forward pass. How could he think it was a forward pass?

It's the empty hand rule, Pao. From some angles, you can't tell that the ball was loose before the hand motioned forward. It happens in a split second, after all. Frankly, I thought "Guns" did a great job on that one by admitting he blew it publicly and following the rules from that point on rather than trying to wiggle out of it.

Last edited:
But they had nothing to do with the fumble. Had Cutler not inexplicably dropped it, that defense would have most likely been responsible for 38/9 points anyway. Horrible officiating had nothing to do with how weak that defense looked. And I agree they got robbed, but they still let the Broncos all the way into their redzone yet again, and the Broncos should have scored yet again if it weren't for a mindless unforced mistake.
What wasn't shown on the gameday telecast was Cutler was throwing into a crowd of three Chargers, the Bronco receiver had slipped and fell.

For this play and this game, I agree with LT.
It was a terrible call and if that was the PATS, we would all be pissed off

If it happened to the Pats, every player on the roster would have said that it was time to move on and concentrate on the next game by now. Privately, they would have been pissed, and a couple of them might have made public mention of it, but by now it would be a dead issue. It was a terribly blown call, and I don't blame the fans for raising holy hell about it, but the players shouldn't be focused on it anymore. Of course, since the Chargers are playing the Jets next week, I guess they can afford to dwell on this for a couple more days anyways.

Last edited:
It's the empty hand rule, Pao. From some angles, you can't tell that the ball was loose before the hand motioned forward. It happens in a split second, after all. Frankly, I thought "Guns" did a great job on that one by admitting he blew it publicly and following the rules from that point on rather than trying to wiggle out of it.
Great point, but even if true the ball was still traveling backward. Clearly a lateral and live ball. Can't see how he could rule that a forward pass, even if he did throw it (which he didn't). Really though, I am not complaining, it is done. No excuses, just discussion.

Thanx,DaB...I just threw up my plate of kung pao shrimp in my mouth
LOL, ah, sometimes it's fun to be the butt of jokes. Thanks guys, I feel like one of the boys.

All I have to say is that Jay Cutler is the real deal.That team is fun to watch right now.Shanahan finally has a franchise QB again to work with and the offense has great weapons.

Bronco Nation is back I believe.

I thought Collinsworth mentioned on Sunday night that even if that Bailey strip was reviewed, the call wouldn't have changed because of 'simultaneous catch' or something like that. Did I get it wrong? (Collinsworth admitted that it wouldn't obviously satisfy any of the Chargers.)

Even if it might be one call that the ref's blew, boy what an awful mistake. I do pity the Chargers for such a cruel twist of fate.

Even though I consider Mr. Tomlinson as a perpetual crybaby, I sympathize with him (and their team) for this wretched decision that robbed them their W. So, I am prepared to fully support their complaints over this.

Last edited:
If it happened to the Pats, every player on the roster would have said that it was time to move on and concentrate on the next game by now. Privately, they would have been pissed, and a couple of them might have made public mention of it, but by now it would be a dead issue. Just another reason why the Pats are on a different level than teams like the Chargers.
Like I said earlier, to a man the Chargers players AND coaches has said time to move on. I agree with what you say about the Patriots, but to say the Chargers haven't handled this pretty well is being a bit too critical. I'm pretty proud of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back