PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

While pondering ideas to replace Asante (if necessary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2087
Recently, defensive coordinator Rex Ryan defended cornerback Samari Rolle's inconsistent play last year by saying, "It's obvious when a corner gets beat. Champ Bailey gets beat."

That's beacuase, despite Bailey's perennial Pro Bowl credentials, teams aren't shying away from throwing at him. According to a recent survey on ESPN.com, Bailey - who was the NFL's co-leader with 10 interceptions last year - was targeted 65 times last season, an average of just over four attempts per game.

The Ravens' duo of Rolle and Chris McAlister was attacked even more. Rolle had 83 passes thrown his way a year ago (14th in the league) while McAlister was spotlighted a whopping 97 times, second in the league only to Dallas' Anthony Henry (100).

Also in the top 10 around the league behind Henry and McAlister in targeted attempts were Chicago's Charles Tillman, Washington's Carlos Rogers, Jacksonville's Rashean Mathis, San Diego's Quentin Jammer, Minnesota's Antoine Winfield, Atlanta's DeAngelo Hall, Arizona's Antrel Rolle and Minnesota's Fred Smoot.

What is also telling is the yards-per-attempt on each throw aimed at a certain cornerback.

The passes aimed at Bailey's coverage targets averaged only 4.7 yards per attempt. However, McAlister was picked on by passes averaging 7.3 yard per throw and Rolle had to face passes that averaged a whopping 10.1 yards per try.
Winfield may or may not be a victim of Minnesota's defensive woes, considering he and Smoot were both on that list...then again.

Last edited:
its also very interesting that despite being the guy who tied Bailey for the lead in the interceptions, Samuel's name is conspicuously absent from the article. Is that a good thing, or bad? ;) Where did Assante place in that 'targeted' list?

Last edited:
I feed defrauded and dirty, Box. I go to the link you provided and find out that you have to be an "insider" to read the rest of the article. ;)

Tell me did he mention Samuel at all in the article and if he did, what context?

I feed defrauded and dirty, Box. I go to the link you provided and find out that you have to be an "insider" to read the rest of the article. ;)

Tell me did he mention Samuel at all in the article and if he did, what context?
I must defer to those who support ESPN with their patronage. I think most of their free work sucks and listening to the shrill screams of outrage from folks who've coughed up hard earned coin for the privilege, I stick to gourmet macaroni & cheese on the free media menu.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2087Winfield may or may not be a victim of Minnesota's defensive woes, considering he and Smoot were both on that list...then again.

Certainly, the Minnesota CBs, Jammer, Tillman, McAllister, and Mathis play for teams that were very good against the run. How many times did the Pats even try to run against Minnesota? 10?

I guess the other guys on the list just suck in coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes