Welcome to PatsFans.com

While Obama patiently ponders Afghan policy, impatient Americans are already deciding

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +408 / 5 / -2

Call me crazy, but I've been thinking more and more that this is by design. I don't think Obama ever wanted to be in either theatre at any point. While he criticized Iraq, he openly supported the conflict in Afghanistan. I'm saying that his support was political, and not personal. Is that crazy? It's merely a feeling I get. A "hunch" if you will. I think his intentions, in a perfect world, would be to withdraw from both fronts. What say you? Is it conceivable that Obama is letting this linger so as to create a situation where public sentiment allows him the option of pulling the plug? I think that pulling the plug would earn him kudos from his base, but major disdain from his critics. It would also fortify, and strengthen, those who call into question the "stones" that hang between Obama's legs. I think you could question his manhood so to speak on one end, but on the flip side (if he did pull the plug), wouldn't you also have to give him credit for having the courage to make a decision based on his principles? I think you would. Leadership is about making difficult decisions. This is why I respect those who do, even if I disagree with the decision itself. What say you?

While Obama patiently ponders Afghan policy, impatient Americans are already deciding: poll

November 17, 2009 | 3:28 pm

As the globe-trotting President Obama presumably ponders his military options in the eight-year war in Afghanistan that isn't going that well, some ominous new poll numbers just out this afternoon for him to include.

Although the freshman president maintains that he's still patiently considering the options presented to him in late August and other questions asked since, any decision and announcement have been postponed further until the end of his latest foreign junket. Meanwhile, the American public is already impatiently indicating its crumbling support for the conflict, the casualties, the financial costs and the idea of boosting our troop commitment in that troubled land.

Fifty-two percent of the 1,001 adult Americans polled Nov. 12-15 now say the war there has not been worth the cost, down 13 points in the last 11 months. That's not a good sign for a president heading into a likely decision to increase that commitment -- and facing crucial midterm elections next year.

According to the new ABC News/Washington Post Poll, only 44% now say the war has been worth it, the smallest support percentage in nearly three years. The poll has a margin of error of +/-3.5%. Once, Obama's war policies were his strongest poll suit (63%). Now, only 45% approve of Obama's handling of Afghanistan; more (48%) don't. His war support among independents, a crucial ingredient in the Democrat's election victory 54 weeks ago, has slipped to 39%.

While Obama patiently ponders Afghan policy, impatient Americans are already deciding: poll | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

Re: While Obama patiently ponders Afghan policy, impatient Americans are already deci

Always thought he was going to do this, and believe that is why he is waiting right now... Dover was his LBJ moment.