PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which was worse: Oakland's Moss for a 4th, or Miami's Welker for a 2nd and 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let me just add in the circumstances to this question of which team got ripped off more.

Oakland needed to unload Moss, there was no doubt about that. He was eating a lot of salary cap and publicly said that he would not play for the Raiders anymore. He had the reputation of being a malcontent and wasn't playing hard last season. The Raiders were definitely forced into a corner on this one. They got back peanuts for one of the greatest WRs ever, and in hindsight they should have gotten at least a second rounder. A terrible job of timing, negotiating, and caving to Moss' short list of teams he'd play for. In reality, I'm guessing Moss had at least five teams he would have played for (if the Raiders had put their foot down and said go there or stay here), who probably would have given them more in return, had the Raiders played their cards right.

The Dolphins made an unfathomable move by giving Welker a smaller tender. Welker was the Dolphins' best offensive player in 2006, still a young guy with a lot of gas left in the tank, a guy they lucked out on and one of their few bright spots. This guy will likely be productive for at least six more years and would have been key in their rebuilding efforts. The Phins gave Welker a $1.3M tender, whereas $1.8M would have meant a first round pick, and $2.35M would have been a first and a third. The Phins had absolutely no excuse for letting a guy like this walk, and the Patriots stole away a proven versatile player who can do things no other player can do.

In my opinion the Dolphins were dumber than the Raiders.

Last edited:
Actually the San Fran trade is going to end up being the worst. As they traded their 2008 first round pick (which would be the thrid pick in the draft, if it was held today), and their 4th round pick in 2007 (which the Pats sent to Oakland for Randy Moss) for the 28th pick in the 2007 draft (Tackle Joe Staley).

So in essense the Pats traded Joe Staley for Randy Moss and either one of the Longs or McFadden, now that's a TRADE!!!

This could be on par with Parrish and McHale for Joe Barry Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing