PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which was the worse mistake: giving up Welker or Woodhead?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which mistake was worse?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: can I ask where the name Jest has came from ?

I can't start a new topic because I don't have enough posts. Haha.

They both, obviously, badly misjudged the player's value. The Dolphins did actually get something for Welker (2nd and 7th, IIRC) versus the Jets, who got nothing. The fact that the 'phins misjudged who to use those picks on, however, doesn't really weigh in on the mix. They got a reasonable pick.

I still think the Dolphins made the bigger mistake, however. IIRC, Welker led the team in something like three different categories -- punt return yardage, kickoff return yardage and receiving yardage. Maybe it was catches. Whatever, it was highly obvious that on a team that was already VERY thin in terms of skill position players, Welker was easily the best that they had.

It's one thing to look at your #3 or #4 RB and not realize that he might be alot more productive than he is, versus looking at your #1 guy and thinking he sucks when it's really your QBs and lack of other skilled position players that is hurting his (still best on the team) production.

Plus, Welker has proven his value over the years. Woody has done great, but he hasn't made any Pro Bowls yet. Welker has made two already, and could earn a third spot even a year removed from ACL.

I'd say it was a much worse mistake for the JEST since they just cut him and got nothing.

Pats really stole Welker from the Phins with the poison pill.

Don't mean to get off track, but I was wondering if a poison pill has ever "taken effect." I don't know what the Pats put in Welker's contract, but what if he were traded back to the Dolphins and they somehow "forgot" about the poison pill (say, getting $200 mil for playing more than 2 games in Dolphins stadium in a season)? Could that situation ever take place?

Destroy a franchise via a single trade.

Welker because he's a pro bowler already. I'd like for Woodhead to do so well (and McKnight so poorly) that someday it is a tough choice.

OT: can I ask where the name Jest has came from ?

I can't start a new topic because I don't have enough posts. Haha.

Take the word J-E-T-S. And swap the last two letters.

This picture might help explain it....

jest.jpg

Last edited:

jest.jpg

To add to that and make sure you understand completely (we're talking about #1 and #3):

jest (jst)
n.
1. A playful or amusing act; a prank. See Synonyms at joke.
2. A frolicsome or frivolous mood: spoken in jest.
3. An object of ridicule; a laughingstock.
4. A witty remark.

Edit: Your picture isn't showing up, but I'm guessing it's the dumbass Jets fans holding up J-E-S-T

Last edited:

jest.jpg

To add to that and make sure you understand completely (we're talking about #1 and #3):

jest (jst)
n.
1. A playful or amusing act; a prank. See Synonyms at joke.
2. A frolicsome or frivolous mood: spoken in jest.
3. An object of ridicule; a laughingstock.
4. A witty remark.

Edit: Your picture isn't showing up, but I'm guessing it's the dumbass Jets fans holding up J-E-S-T

Thanks, we call them inbreds over here (or their brother is their father, sister is their mother, all sorts of things), if they're our closest rivals. :D

Thanks, we call them inbreds over here (or their brother is their father, sister is their mother, all sorts of things), if they're our closest rivals. :D

Uncle daddy?

Uncle daddy?

No, incest.

Your sister is your mother
your father is your brother
you like to f**k each other
the Jets Family.

Your city's twinned with hell
you're ugly and you smell
this ought to ring a bell
the Jets Family.

:D

We change the words to Fifer as they are the closest rivals to Falkirk (where I live and who I support as my football/soccer team)

I voted Welker. The Jets in theory still have LT and Greene, who should be getting an even split of carries, McKnight was what, a rookie third round pick, so I doubt they give up on him quickly, plus using two roster spots on fullbacks, Conner and I believe Richardson is still there. Hard Knocks showed they tried to move Woody to WR because of the RB/FB depth. And I guess even with Holmes out 4 games, they Jets felt Woodhead wasn't good enough out wide.

The Phins when they traded/mistendered Welker had who as their WRs? I think they had Ginn, but I can't even remember who their WRs were after the Welker trade.

the Jests wouldn't put Woodhead on the field anyways. Welker actually played for the phish.

i took the welker option because we have so much more data. ask the question again in two years and i might answer it differently.

Hands down Welker..............Woody is not even a one year wonder yet (don't get me wrong I am one of his biggest fans this year). He still has a long way to go to catch Welk's contributions though. Welker is a proven vet at this time and can beat you on KR/PR as well as being one of the most clutch receivers in NFL history. When you look up slot receiver in the dictionary, Wes Welker's picture is sitting there. Interestingly enough, his picture is also in the dictionary for complete football player, and under "tough."

I love Woody but he has a ways to go before he is in the Welker category........

I chose Woody because of what the Pats gave up in return. For everyone that has said Welker, do you think that a team would be willing to give up a 1st round pick for him right now?

Woody has proven that he is an extremely valuable asset to the team with his play this season. He is the perfect fit for this offense in the backfield. I would even go as far as saying that he could do what Welker does in the slot. I am not saying that he would be as good as Welker there but I think he has more versatility in the offense than Welker.

Also, I think that he is a better ST's player than Welker. He hasn't returned kicks yet but he has made some outstanding plays on the coverage team. He has done this right from the start with the Pats and I for one think that he will only get better and better with more time in this system.

No, incest.

Your sister is your mother
your father is your brother
you like to f**k each other
the Jets Family.

Your city's twinned with hell
you're ugly and you smell
this ought to ring a bell
the Jets Family.

:D

We change the words to Fifer as they are the closest rivals to Falkirk (where I live and who I support as my football/soccer team)

Ha Ha, that's great.

We need to get everyone in Gillette Stadium singing this version of the Addams Family theme song when the Jest next visit Foxborough, in the fall of 2011.

It's a weird question, because it assumes players have equal value even on different teams. Some players fit -- Welker and Branch on the Patriots. Some don't. Adalius Thomas probably would have been better on the Ravens than he was here.

The Patriots track record of getting players to perform at a higher level than elsewhere is really good, but that doesn't necessary mean that the value the Patriots get out of the player is equal to the value that the other team gave up.

Also, it's a bit revisionist to say that the Dolphins "gave up" Welker. I don't think they wanted to let him walk. The problem is that they tendered him too low. They took a gamble, and perhaps didn't realize the value they had, and it cost them. People seem to remember this as a straight trade where we gave up a 2d and 7th for Welker, but it didn't really go down like that. They tendered him too low, we threatened the poison pill, and then threw in the 7th to make it a trade and avoid the unpleasantness of the poison pill, which Kraft seemed to think was a good move. Misjudging and tendering a player too low is, surely, an error. But the reality is that Welker was a UFA and had options, if not that year next. Woodhead was just a cut.

nah A.D got paid then took his ball and went home. He didn;t care about the team.. he was above it. He was probably boozing and banging whores. Instead of getting ready for the next game.

Last edited:
Pats really stole Welker from the Phins with the poison pill.
It was speculated the Pats would use a poison pill, but they didn't. In fact, they never actually made an offer directly to Welker until after the Dolphins traded him to the Patriots.

Most likely Kraft did not want to use the poison pill, preferring to negotiate with the Dolphins. The Patriots arranged for the trade rather than a RFA signing, and threw in an extra draft pick to the Dolphins so they didn't feel like they had totally lost.

It's no surprise that Kraft was recently named one of the top 10 most influential people in sports.

Last edited:
Ojinnaka -- he's going to destroy the Atlanta defensive line in the Superbowl.

Easily Welker. Second round pick for the leading receiver two years in a row. On top of that, we weakened a direct division rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back