PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which UDFA will make the Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With TC starting up tomorrow , it's now an exciting time to be a football -Patriots fan.

Every year a UDFA or 2 makes the team. so let's take a guess as to which one will be on the roster in September.

I'm going with Asa Watson. He could end up being a receiving TE and has the smarts to pick up the offense and make the contribution of ST's that most UDFA's will have to make in order to by around in September.

With TC starting up tomorrow , it's now an exciting time to be a football -Patriots fan.

Every year a UDFA or 2 makes the team. so let's take a guess as to which one will be on the roster in September.

I'm going with Asa Watson. He could end up being a receiving TE and has the smarts to pick up the offense and make the contribution of ST's that most UDFA's will have to make in order to by around in September.
I have Cameron Gordon making the team as a special team’s linebacker.

I like your pick of Watson as well; I think he is an interesting talent who was not in an ideal scheme during his college career to show what he is capable of producing.

I'll take Stephen Houston. I like his potential to be more versatile than Bolden and factor into the receiving game.

I'm going to go with Daxton Swanson, at least to start the season. With Browner on suspension and Dennard's status currently unknown, there's room for a surprise at CB, and from some accounts he showed something in OTA's. Whether he sticks around after Browner and Dennard return, who knows.

Mountain Sized TE Justin Jones who's not the sharpest tool in shed looks really good in the limited videos I saw of him. He moves very well for a man with his size, Him and Gronk on the Field at the same time would be scary!

Last edited:
Right now I've got Houston on my 53, but I would include Finch (over Houston) if he weren't on NF-Inj. I don't think it's worth trying to predict who gets taken off PUP/NF-Inj so I leave everyone who's on those lists off my 53.

EDIT: I also have Swanson on my 53, but he's not a UDFA technically (he was last year).

Mountain Sized TE Justin Jones who's not the sharpest tool in shed looks really good in the limited videos I saw of him. Me moves very well for a man with his size, Him and Gronk on the Field at the same time would be scary!

Solder - 6'8"
Vollmer - 6'8"
Gronk - 6'6"
Jones - 6'8"

The big sets would have the tallest pairs of bookends I think I've ever seen.

EDIT: I also have Swanson on my 53, but he's not a UDFA technically (he was last year).

Ah, my bad, thought he was this year. I'm changing my vote to Houston then as well. After Ridley, Vereen, and White, I think the #4 RB spot is wide open.

Hooman is really just a blocking TE, Jones at his size does not have to do much to challenge for the role. With those guys on the line Brady will know how Flutie felt playing QB behind the OL.

The RB's the Patriots brought in via the NFL Draft all score high marks in Catching the Football... White - Houston and Finch. That adds a dynamic to your Offense if the Defense have to acount for the RB in the pass pattern. That's a dynamic we don't have with Stephen Riddley. Houston's size is ideal for Featured back material. Roy Finch reminds me of Darren Sproles.

Last edited:
Houston and Jones. Jones, simply because of his size, could make for an interesting option in the red zone.

I could see Jones or Watson making it as ST/TE depth, with Jones being the more likely of the two. He could be used the same way the Falcons used Levine Toilolo last year: as a 6'8" red zone threat and nothing else.

Wouldn't surprise me if Houston beat out Bolden: watching his college highlights, he looked pretty good, although he runs a bit upright and doesn't have any real speed that will translate to the NFL level to speak of. Still, if they can correct his running style like they did Blount's, he could be serviceable.

The reason why I see him maybe beating out Bolden is as much re: contracts as actual production. Ridley's going to be an UFA after this year, so I'd imagine that they would prefer for his backup to be locked up. Bolden is a RFA after this year, though. Having a guy who is proven competent with 3 more years of rookie minimum salary is preferable, so for Bolden to keep his job I think he has to win the battle decisively.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of Gallon/Finch make it as a kick returner, although that prediction isn't helped at all by both of them starting on PUP. I think Finch is a better prospect than Houston, but with Vereen and White already on the roster it's hard to see where he fits if he's not handling returns.

Last edited:
I'd say Justin Jones. Should be given just about every opportunity to make the squad.

2 of them:
Justin Jones
Stephen Houston

Yeah, I doubt all of them will make it, but I'd go with Justin Jones, Houston, and add Roy Finch to the mix.

I'll take Stephen Houston. I like his potential to be more versatile than Bolden and factor into the receiving game.
Houston is an absolute freak of an athlete.

Height: 5103
Weight: 225
40 Yard Dash: 4.52
20 Yard Dash: 2.61
10 Yard Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 40
Broad Jump: 11'00"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.23
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

With the exception of the straight-line speed (40, 20, 10 yard dash) he is more athletic than Adrian Peterson is. He could really develop into a terrific RB with the right coaching. I am with you on this choice; he is one of the players I am most excited to see in camp. Very few RBs in the NFL have his combination of size and athletic ability.

This is a fun question to think through. If I had to guess, I'd say Tyler Ott, Cameron Gordon, Asa Watson. If the competition between Ott and Aiken is close at all, Ott will get the nod. You can get him for 3 years on the cheap, Aiken is on a 1 year deal. Similar to Allen-Mesko from last year. Pats always seem to have at least 1 UDFA LB that works on special teams and since Morris didn't pan out, Gordon seems best to fill that. The TE/FB competition should be interesting. If there are no injuries between Hooman and Gronk, I would think there is 1 spot up for grabs between Develin, Watson, Byham, Williams and Jones. When in doubt, go with the cheapest labor and I think Watson would come out ahead of Jones.

Another candidate is Travis Hawkins.
Hawkins fits the CB mold that Belichick coveted in the 2008-2009-2010 period with Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler. 5-10, about 190, 4.37 speed.

Browner, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan are all 4.50-4.60 speed guys. Hawkins could contribute on special teams, as Arrington did, and develop as a speed corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes