PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which team wins the AFC (other than the Patriots)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Team to win the AFC (other than the Patriots)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My votes go

1) Colts - As long as Peyton is around they are still at the top of the list

2) Ravens - All around solid

3) Chargers - No Vincent Jackson could really hurt them though, the rookie RB better learn quick

4) Steelers - Only If they can survive without Big Ben

5) Jets - Sanchez needs to take a step forward for it to happen

Colts. They would have been 16-0 if they tried and then breezed through the AFC playoffs. If they have to play SD this time it could be different, but I've known better than to count on the Chargers.

The Ravens are better offensively, but I see the defense going a different direction. Though they were good points wise last year, still saw a drop in them from '08 when they were dominant. Wouldn't be suprised if that trend continued. Ray and Reed are a year older, we'll see what their 2nd rounders have to offer though. The Colts have historically seemed to own them too.

Chargers and Norv Turner are a joke.

Don't count the Steelers out if they can survive the first 6. They finished hot, beat some good teams down the stretch last year and they're getting Polamalu back.

At the end of the day I can't pick against the Colts

I'm gonna go with Colts. I wanted to say Ravens but even with a beefier offense, Flacco isnt there yet. Manning can bring them back in the game even when the odds seemed stacked against them badly. Ravens definately have a good chance but Colts always beat them usually.

I hate to say it but if its not Patriots, its usually Colts.

Colts.

Manning and his young WRs will be even better this year (unfortunately). Their defense will do just enough. Manning is smart enough now to feel how a game is unfolding and will either pick a team apart on slow drives if his defense is a liability, or go to a quick strike type offense if that's what is needed. Their passing unit is far and away the best unit in all of football.

Colts....Their passing unit is far and away the best unit in all of football.

The Saints laugh at such a notion. For that matter, it the Patriots find a WR3, they'll be laughing at the notion, too.

The Saints laugh at such a notion. For that matter, it the Patriots find a WR3, they'll be laughing at the notion, too.

With all of the bodies we have in there behind Welker and Moss, percentages say they'll most likely be laughing. :cool:

This year just feels a hell of a lot better than last year year as far as the youngins go. I don't think its unreasonable to expect 3-4 1st/2nd/3rd year guys progress greatly over last year, and thats just on the defense (Mayo-leg, Chung-2nd year getting tons of reps, Spikes/McKenzie-will beat out Guyton by week 8 at ILB, Butler-2nd year jump, already showing better ball skills in camp, McCourty?, Brace?). Then theres Gronk/Hernandez for TE, and Tate/Price at WR with Vollmer looking like the clubs LT of the future. If they can all gel like the teams of 03-04, they will be scary come postseason.

Which team wins the AFC other than the Patriots?

By far the most likely would be the Colts.

Next I would say the Ravens, and include the Chargers and Jets in the second tier as well. They're all teams that seem more likely than not to make the playoffs, and you have to make the playoffs first if you're going to win the conference.

Next would be a group of teams that could possibly get past the first round of the playoffs - or could also just as easily miss the playoffs entirely. I'd start this tier with the Bengals, and also include the Steelers, Texans, Dolphins, and Titans.

Then there's the group of teams probably won't make the playoffs, though it wouldn't be a total shock if they did. This group includes the Broncos, Raiders, and Jaguars. Even if they do find a way to make the playoffs though, there's no way the win the AFC.

Last group of teams are the ones that have virtually no chance of making the playoffs, much less winning the conference: the Bills, Chiefs, and Browns.

Colts, then that pick-forehead douche would choke his team out of the playoffs.

The Colts. However, they have two distinct weaknesses that haven't cost them YET. (They play in a dome, lucky S.O.Bs)

1. They can't run the football.

2. They can't stop the run.

With Peyton, #1 hasn't proved to matter. But, I don't understand why teams don't run the ball most of the game on that midget defense. They get scared of Peyton on the sidelines, throw the ball, and a mistake is made.

The Colts. They have an excellent org that somehow finds unhearalded younguns that can play football. As long as Manning is on the field (SB pick 6 aside :) ) the Colts are the threat.

Flacco's flaccid sophomore season will improve, but I see the strong Ravens as 2nd in the threat view.

Can't take SD seriously and the Jets are a joke.

The Colts. However, they have two distinct weaknesses that haven't cost them YET. (They play in a dome, lucky S.O.Bs)

With Peyton, #1 hasn't proved to matter. But, I don't understand why teams don't run the ball most of the game on that midget defense. They get scared of Peyton on the sidelines, throw the ball, and a mistake is made.

Actually, their run defense got better as year went on last season and became REALLY good in the playoffs. It was their inability to stop the pass that killed them in end. Those DE's they have are great. But once they get stalled at the point of attack, that Tampa-2 is wide open for the taking.

The Saints passing offense is set up by their running game.

With all of the bodies we have in there behind Welker and Moss, percentages say they'll most likely be laughing. :cool:

I don't know how you can say this when the guys behind Welker and Moss are unproven or new to the system. Add the major knee injury by Welker, I don't see how our passing unit will be all of a sudden better than the Colts, who still have Reggie Wayne in his prime, and young but proven players in Garcon and Collie and the best receiving TE in the game in Clark.

Re: Which team wins the AFC (other than the Patiots)

It's funny how every year on this board nobody gives the Colts the respect they deserve. At this time last year everyone was talking about their demise, and they could have easily finished 16-0 and they made a SB appearance. I go Colts.

Last edited:
This is either sarcasm or misguided homerism.

As of now, we have inexperienced question marks behind Moss. Welker's question mark is when he will be able to return and when he will be at 100%.

To look at our great receivers behind Moss and laugh at other teams seems strange indeed.

Actually, their run defense got better as year went on last season and became REALLY good in the playoffs. It was their inability to stop the pass that killed them in end. Those DE's they have are great. But once they get stalled at the point of attack, that Tampa-2 is wide open for the taking.

The Colt run D and overall D are very interesting to me.
I think they do an incredibly good job of calling defensive plays.
Everyone in the world knows that they are undersized and mismatch if you play smashmouth football, and the stats support it. But thats the trick.
They ARE easy to run against in most situations, because they are undersized and they play rush the passer and hope you find the QB on the way. They willingly give up the run, because they know that sooner or later they will penetrate, make a play in the backfield and put you in long distance passing situations where they can play that Tampa2 and either get pressure or make you throw under it.
The thing that no one seems to recognize is that they are VERY good at stopping the run in obvious running situations because they play one gap, outquick the OL run D. I have never understood why teams try to run off tackle and have to get past 3-4 guys shooting gaps in short yardage.
It almost seems like some teams walk in saying the Colts suck against the run, so all we need to do is run, and that plays right into the Colts hands. I guarantee the Colts would trade allowing 5 yards a carry in return for one tackle for loss every 4-5 plays, and thats what ends up happening. (Remember the KC playoff game with LJ when Herman Edwards was the coach. Worst game plan I ever saw. They told the Colts we are going to run every play, the Colts overplayed the run, got a stop and then KC was screwed on 3rd and long)
Basically, the Colts are probably the worst run D in the NFL if you make them play it honestly and they are one of the better run Ds if you let them know you are running at them. And I think their pass D is similar too. It gets a huge advantage when down and distance favors them, but is ripped up on 1st and 10 by a patient passers.

The key to attacking the Colt D is balance. Even when it seems that you should just hand it off every play its the wrong thing to do because you force them to compensate. You need to run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run, and basically take away predictability.

IMO, the Colt D is one of the worst in the NFL if you approach it with a balanced game plan and one of the best in the NFL if you tip your hand and give them a good idea whats coming.

So Andy, should the Pats fail to run well against the Colts, then their predictability is a function of poor offensive coordinator performance and we should go all NEM on him.

That is why I think that if the Colts don't get home field advantage, there is a slim chance that they would get very far. I mean if they have to go to New York, Pittsburgh, and of course Gillette :D in the cold weather, they will falter.

So with that said, my vote is for Baltimore

Re: Which team wins the AFC (other than the Patiots)

It's funny how every year on this board nobody gives the Colts the respect they deserve. At this time last year everyone was talking about their demise, and they could have easily finished 16-0 and they made a SB appearance. I go Colts.
I was one of them.
-I believed that the Colts window had closed and their offense was going to be mediocre.
-I believed teams were going to be able to shut down Reggie Wayne's only route (in cut) and contain Dallas Clark.
-I believed their defense was going to get shredded.

Even though the Colts "proved me wrong", they still played in a bad division and the rest of the AFC wasn't very good. In addition, their road to the super bowl wasn't very difficult. But in the end, they took care of business and I give them credit for that.

Here is what I think of the other teams in 2009

Bengals - might be the worst division winner and playoff team of all time
Patriots - folded when it mattered most. They just weren't very good last year.
Jets - Shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with.
Chargers - their defense was awful and may have had a worse pass rush than the Pats. The running game was pathetic.
Ravens - They were the best team in the AFC not named the Colts. Their offense is pretty good but their defense can get exposed against good offenses. In fact, I can' remember the last time they beat the Colts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back