PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which team has the best starting Safeties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well according to Pro Football Weekly, it's the NE Patriots.

They rank Rodney as #5.:rocker: That is in spite of the "devasting" injury he suffered. So, they must think that he will be back at near full capability. Which i have been saying all along.

And they rank Gino as #18.

The only other team that is remotely close is Minn with Sharper and the newly aquired Hank Williams.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

They rank Rodney as #5.:rocker: That is in spite of the "devasting" injury he suffered. So, they must think that he will be back at near full capability. Which i have been saying all along.

The only other team that is remotely close is Minn with Darious and the newly aquired Hank Williams.

It's actually Darren Sharper and Tank Williams. I wouldn't say that's near the best, either.

pats1 said:
It's actually Darren Sharper and Tank Williams. I wouldn't say that's near the best, either.

Yes, I just edited that. Sharper ranked #6. Williams not given a rank other than "top veteran".

can you please list the full rankings in order? i want to give my opinions on them :)

thanks

Remix 6 said:
can you please list the full rankings in order? i want to give my opinions on them :)

thanks

OK. Just the Safeties. It wouldb e too much to list all the other positions and the top 50 overall, regardless of position. Brady is #1 on that list plus QB's.

1. Ed Reed
2. Polamalu
3.Brian Dawkins
4.Darius
5.Rodney:rocker:
6.Sharper
7.Lynch
8.Roy Williams
9.bob Sanders
10.Archuleta
11. Adrian Wilson
12. Mike Brown
13.Chavous
14.tony Parrish
15.Michael Lewis
16.Gino:rocker:
17.Sean Taylor
18.Michael Boulware
19.Dwight Smith
20.Chris Hope

Am I the only guy that thinks Troy Palamalu is seriously overrated?

I don't think his cover skills or his hands are anything out of the ordinary, and I don't think he hits harder than a Rodney or Lynch.

I just think that people want to talk him up a bit because he is on the defense which was #1 before he got there, and will probably be #1 after he is gone.

He is a solid player, but I think that he gets a lot of hype and I'm not sure I would put him at #2 on the list. The Steelers have a lot of things working well on their defense, and I think a few safeties would look good back there.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Am I the only guy that thinks Troy Palamalu is seriously overrated?

I don't think his cover skills or his hands are anything out of the ordinary, and I don't think he hits harder than a Rodney or Lynch.

I just think that people want to talk him up a bit because he is on the defense which was #1 before he got there, and will probably be #1 after he is gone.

He is a solid player, but I think that he gets a lot of hype and I'm not sure I would put him at #2 on the list. The Steelers have a lot of things working well on their defense, and I think a few safeties would look good back there.

I don't think he is over rated at all. I don't watch any other teams players very closely...but I have seen a few Pitt games and he is one of the few players I actually enjoy watching on the squeelers. The guy is everywhere making plays, and I am not talking about the "Ray Lewis" pile on celebration plays either. I also don't think he gets crazy with the "celebrations" either which I like. Not sure if he hits hard, I seem to remeber a few good hits...of course not like Rodney but few do so I'm not holding anybody to Rodneys standard of a hard hit as that isn't fair as that is far and away his calling card.

Does Bob Sanders HONESTLY deserve to be #9?

Polamalu looked great in a few games I saw him play in...forgetting the Pats pounding the Steelers in that AFC Title game. Would I love to have him on my team? Yes. Geez that Colts game, he was all over the place. I think he came close to making some very hard interceptions. If he snagged all of them he problably could have picked off Manning three times including not getting his INT taken away.

I think Rodney hits harder than anyone, hes just awesome. Some of his hard hitting skills have spread through Geno as well. If I were a reciever I'd be scared to try to catch a ball in the middle of the field, near them. I cant wait to see Rodney back, even if we do have to wait a few weeks into the season.

Last edited:
thats a bad list.
Sean Taylor at 17? Hes better than Gino..and better or just as good as Polamalu. Sanders too high. Gibril Wilson needs to be on the list as does Mike Minter. my list of top safeties

1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Darren Sharper
4. Rodney Harrison
5. Sean Taylor
6. Troy Polamalu
7. Roy Williams
8. Donovan Darius
9. Mike Minter
10. Corey Chavous
11. Mike Brown
12. John Lynch
13. Adrian Wilson
14. Tony Parrish
15. Gibril Wilson
16. Eugene Wilson
17. Bob Sanders
18. Michael Lewis
19. Erik Coleman
20. Michael Boulware

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm getting at is more that Polamalu has been hyped as THE safety ever since he was drafted, and I don't see him as a Hall of Fame type player. He is good enough to be a top 5 safety this year, but I don't feel like he is the reason the Steelers have a great defense. I think Rodney came in here and made a huge difference for our defense, really elevating us to a higher level. I see Troy more as a solid addition to a long-standing #1 defense. I think they would be a #1 defense with a few other safeties as well. I don't see any safeties that would have helped our defense as much as Rodney did in 2003. I think that Rodney was more dangerous and 'all over the field' in 2003 and 2004 than anything I've witnessed from Troy.

I think that Troy might look different on a lesser defense. Part of it is the fact that I feel like Rodney was cheated out of two pro-bowls by bias against him, and Troy seems to be hyped to be the best of the best. I would rather have a healthy Rodney any day.

Remix 6 said:
thats a bad list.
Sean Taylor at 17? Hes better than Gino..and better or just as good as Polamalu. Sanders too high. Gibril Wilson needs to be on the list as does Mike Minter. my list of top safeties

1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Darren Sharper
4. Rodney Harrison
5. Sean Taylor
6. Troy Polamalu
7. Roy Williams
8. Donovan Darius
9. Mike Minter
10. Corey Chavous
11. Mike Brown
12. John Lynch
13. Adrian Wilson
14. Tony Parrish
15. Gibril Wilson
16. Eugene Wilson
17. Bob Sanders
18. Michael Lewis
19. Erik Coleman
20. Michael Boulware

Mitner is listed as 'past his prime". Coleman was listed as 'others",meaning he was in the top 25. Gibril wilson was not named at all.

Lawyer Millory was listed as 'past his prime".

How the hell is Donovan Darius THAT high? (#4)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
How the hell is Donovan Darius THAT high? (#4)

I don't know. According PFW these rating are suppose to be a "consensus of opinions from, scouts,personnel directors,general managers, and PFW writers.

So, it's an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

The only other team that is remotely close is Minn with Sharper and the newly aquired Hank Williams.

If Brian Dawkins is higher than Rodney AND Michael Lewis is higher than Wilson, then Pro Football Weekly is saying that the Eagles have the best starting safeties.

Keeping it real,

Miguel

Miguel said:
If Brian Dawkins is higher than Rodney AND Michael Lewis is higher than Wilson, then Pro Football Weekly is saying that the Eagles have the best starting safeties.

Keeping it real,

Miguel

You are right ole eagle eye. Thanks for pointing that out. I can't delete the thread now so:

NEW THEAD TITLE: WHICH TEAM HAS THE 2nd BEST RANKED SAFETIES ACCORDING TO PFW?

But I think Rodney is better than Dawkins and Gino is better than Lewis. So in my heart the Patriots have the top ranked safeties.:rocker:

PATSNUTme said:
OK. Just the Safeties. It wouldb e too much to list all the other positions and the top 50 overall, regardless of position. Brady is #1 on that list plus QB's.

1. Ed Reed
2. Polamalu
3.Brian Dawkins
4.Darius
5.Rodney:rocker:
6.Sharper
7.Lynch
8.Roy Williams
9.bob Sanders
10.Archuleta
11. Adrian Wilson
12. Mike Brown
13.Chavous
14.tony Parrish
15.Michael Lewis
16.Gino:rocker:
17.Sean Taylor
18.Michael Boulware
19.Dwight Smith
20.Chris Hope
Adam Archuleta couldnt beat out Don Davis. He is horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
what makes you think Dawkins isnt better than Harrison? Dawkins is younger and better in coverage and isnt coming off an injury. Lewis is slightly better than Gino aswell. a better comparsion would be if u put Harrison vs Lewis ( both Strong Safeties) and Dawkins vs Wilson ( Free Safeties)

Remix 6 said:
what makes you think Dawkins isnt better than Harrison? Dawkins is younger and better in coverage and isnt coming off an injury. Lewis is slightly better than Gino aswell. a better comparsion would be if u put Harrison vs Lewis ( both Strong Safeties) and Dawkins vs Wilson ( Free Safeties)

OK. So, if we do that, then we are back to #1?

BTW, NO ONE is better than Rodney when you look at the total package including the very important intangibles.

Rodney is a 'Hall of Famer' that will never get in the Hall of Fame, IMO. The other guys, including Lynch, are just safeties.

Rodney didn't play any dirtier than any Hall of Fame safeties, and hits as hard as Ronnie Lott, IMO.

But we live in the era of sanitized football, so guys like Ed Reed top the list.

were not doing career best.

Rodney is coming off a knee injury that was very serious and is older than those safeties. im a big Harrison fan trust me..but at this time, hes not as good as Brian Dawkins and i watch both those guys play because safety is 1 of my fav. positions.

Eagles-Patriots are neck to neck in this one..2 talented safety duos but you cant simply say were better at the position without backing much up. Lewis and Wilson looked lost last year and Harrison was hurt while Dawkins made Pro Bowl. Based on last year, Eagles were better. Based on 2-3 years ago when Rodney came, we were slightly better and looking at this year..Eagles will have the better duo because Rodney likely ownt start day 1 and their D is more improved than ours and have 2 pro bowl caliber corners while ours havent proven much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey