PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which TE do you most want the Pats to take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which TE do you MOST want the Pats to take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, how the heck did a TE thread come to this?

Because we're about a week from some posters suggesting that Kaczur/Light's only value is as a blocking TE.

Take your medication and leave things to Coach Scarnecchia.

Dante's had him for 5 years now, and he still sux at Tackle.

If he can't cut the mustard at Guard, then I have no use for him.

Because we're about a week from some posters suggesting that Kaczur/Light's only value is as a blocking TE.

Amen to that. Except the "blocking" part is redundant. All the knowledgeable fans already know that the Pats use TEs only for blocking now anyway.

Dante's had him for 5 years now, and he still sux at Tackle.

If he can't cut the mustard at Guard, then I have no use for him.
If he 'sucked' at tackle he'd have been gone. He started five years - it's the NFL, players get paid to rush the passer too and Nick's five year starting pedigree says you're no better than an Iggles fan crapping on McPuke for not being Tom Brady. ;)

1) As for Kaczur, when was a draft prospect a lot of analyses projected him to guard. I still think he could be terrific inside.

2) BTW, how the heck did a TE thread come to this?

1) I remember those write-ups, too. And I also think that Kaczur can salvage his career by moving inside.

2) That would be me, I'm afraid. I think it started when I discussed the futility of drafting a pass-catching TE with a 2nd-rounder when he would be needed to stay home to help Kaczur (and, to a lesser extent, Light) with pass-blocking. But as long as Bill does the smart thing by replacing Kaczur at RT with Vollmer, then that need for help would be mitigated to a degree.

If he 'sucked' at tackle he'd have been gone. He started five years - it's the NFL, players get paid to rush the passer too and Nick's five year starting pedigree says you're no better than an Iggles fan crapping on McPuke for not being Tom Brady. ;)

He'd have been gone if there were somebody better to replace him. Now there is.

BTW, Iggles fans are right to crap on McPuke.

He'd have been gone if there were somebody better to replace him. Now there is.

BTW, Iggles fans are right to crap on McPuke.
Right, because in four drafts there has been nobody better, there has been no one in Free Agency to consider, there has been no one worth trading for... ;)

McNabb may not be an all time great, but McNabb-led teams have been contending for the playoffs consistently, Philly fans can complain about his post-season Manningitis, but they have no reason to complain about his overall performance.

Right, because in four drafts there has been nobody better, there has been no one in Free Agency to consider, there has been no one worth trading for... ;)

McNabb may not be an all time great, but McNabb-led teams have been contending for the playoffs consistently, Philly fans can complain about his post-season Manningitis, but they have no reason to complain about his overall performance.

Do Philly fans actually need a reason to complain?:D

1) I remember those write-ups, too. And I also think that Kaczur can salvage his career by moving inside.

2) That would be me, I'm afraid. I think it started when I discussed the futility of drafting a pass-catching TE with a 2nd-rounder when he would be needed to stay home to help Kaczur (and, to a lesser extent, Light) with pass-blocking. But as long as Bill does the smart thing by replacing Kaczur at RT with Vollmer, then that need for help would be mitigated to a degree.

Well Bill did just that for the playoff game. Vollmer played every snap at RT. So apparently Kaczur is not the start and end of this team's problems. Drafting an OT in the first 2 rounds would be either (a) really stupid, or (b) incredible value that BB just can't pass up. I tend to lean towards option a.

Well Bill did just that for the playoff game. Vollmer played every snap at RT. So apparently Kaczur is not the start and end of this team's problems. Drafting an OT in the first 2 rounds would be either (a) really stupid, or (b) incredible value that BB just can't pass up. I tend to lean towards option a.

Why does it need to be 1 extreme or the other? I don't think Kaczur is the biggest problem on the team, I doubt anyone here does, but if you can get a solid player with a lot of upside that can help to protect a less mobile, and increasingly injured Tom Brady, then Veldheer might be a very good value.

How about Konz in round 6 or 7? :) He's a freak and could play TE or H-back.

Konz has the potential to be a TE or WR, it'll be interesting to see BB exploit his abilities.

Last edited:
Gresham took over the title game last year in case no one remembers. He decided not to come out, but he was projected in the 15-20 rangeof the first round last year. So if he was productive this year he likely would have been top ten material and we would all be dreaming about getting him...but he got hurt. This HELPS us, and if he is available with BBs penchant or taking TEs at #1 its a foregone conclusion. I'm of the opinion you get the best players you can and tweak your system to adjust to the players strengths. No one can say the way we use Moss and Welker is anything like the way BB used any of his other WRs right? In a system in a league that is constantly changing put football players in position to make plays. Having no returning TEs only makes the position that much more fluid.

Gresham took over the title game last year in case no one remembers. He decided not to come out, but he was projected in the 15-20 rangeof the first round last year. So if he was productive this year he likely would have been top ten material and we would all be dreaming about getting him...but he got hurt. This HELPS us, and if he is available with BBs penchant or taking TEs at #1 its a foregone conclusion. I'm of the opinion you get the best players you can and tweak your system to adjust to the players strengths. No one can say the way we use Moss and Welker is anything like the way BB used any of his other WRs right? In a system in a league that is constantly changing put football players in position to make plays. Having no returning TEs only makes the position that much more fluid.

Maybe and maybe not. Had he been healthy, what would he have done without Bradford? And why did he come back in the first place? That decision should bring a lot of questions with it - is he hiding something (like Spikes)? Does he just want to be a big man on campus and isn't highly motivated (like Leinart)? I'm not a big Gresham fan.

Maybe and maybe not. Had he been healthy, what would he have done without Bradford? And why did he come back in the first place? That decision should bring a lot of questions with it - is he hiding something (like Spikes)? Does he just want to be a big man on campus and isn't highly motivated (like Leinart)? I'm not a big Gresham fan.

He probably came back to try and win a championship. To possibly improve his draft standing. And/or to get a degree. Neither of those are bad things -- in fact, Belichick puts a premium on seniors.

I think that Gronkowski might have a chronic back problem, which is going to make his stock drop. It would not suprize me if he slips into the third round. Unless you have some real good docotr type info, I might stay away from him.

Gresham was considered a top ten pick last year, if he is around at #44, I can't see passing him up (#22 MUST be used on as pass rusher (caveat, unless Spiller is miraculously still on the board)). After that, if the Pats could make it back into the thrid round, check out Dorin ****erson from Pitt, he has WR skills, TE size.

The Pats can always grab another TE in rounds 6 and 7.

He probably came back to try and win a championship. To possibly improve his draft standing. And/or to get a degree. Neither of those are bad things -- in fact, Belichick puts a premium on seniors.

I'm not sure why that's considered to be true around here. BB has drafted Maroney, Mayo, Chad Jackson, Sanders and Wilfork - just off the top of my head. In fact, it's pretty well documented that the BB/Pioli school of thought is that they want players who prioritize football ahead of everything else - including getting a degree. I'm sure the Patriots like to evaluate a player for as long as possible, but if the guy's a surefire 1st rounder, there's no point in staying in school.

I'm not sure why that's considered to be true around here. BB has drafted Maroney, Mayo, Chad Jackson, Sanders and Wilfork - just off the top of my head. In fact, it's pretty well documented that the BB/Pioli school of thought is that they want players who prioritize football ahead of everything else - including getting a degree. I'm sure the Patriots like to evaluate a player for as long as possible, but if the guy's a surefire 1st rounder, there's no point in staying in school.

Well, talent is talent, especially in the first round. However, I'm willing to bet that if you took the past several drafts of all 32 teams and note what % of their picks were seniors, the Patriots would be in the Top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back