PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which rookie will you have your eye on most on Thursday?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which rookie will you be watching most on Thursday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two way tie between Hernandez and Spikes. To be honest, though, I'll be focusing the most on the left side of the O-Line and the starting D-Line when the starters are playing.

Spikes. I don't know if a 2nd round pick and high profile college player can qualify as a binkie, but his bust is already cast in bronze in my mind. I hope he doesn't let me down.

Gronk, he'll be the easiest one to find.

1a. Cunningham
1b. Spikes

Since I could not vote for multiple rookies I had to go with Spikes because of all the positive feedback I've been reading here. And though there are other players getting good press like Gronk, Hernandez, Tate and Price, my focus will be on the defensive side of the ball as that had been our biggest problem, particularly IL since Brushi left.
I also will be focused on Jermaine Cunningham as outside pass rushers are our most pressing need. Not to mention Left Guard.
Of course I won't have to be focusing on anything if they don't show the game out here in Chicagoland. :(

Cunningham
Tate

i think spikes, will be a force vs the run... but the pass rush is going to sink or swim with Jermaine Cunningham, so i will be watching him

Last year the Saints gave up 20 sacks.

20 / 16 = 1.25 sacks a game.

Drew Brees will play what ... two series maybe? If the defense can amount any sort of consistent, notable pressure in those two series, I'll be impressed. I'm really hoping Cunningham starts, if he rolls against the ones I'll be watching him closely. If they can't get pressure on the backups, atleast 4 sacks, then I'll be worried. But other than that, I'll be trying to watch everyone.

Last edited:
I put Brandon Tate into this category, I want to see him return some kicks.

I picked McCourty because AFAIK Bodden won't be playing. Which puts Devin against the Saints first teamers. I'll watch Spikes a bunch too. On O I want to see this Tate guy everyone has been talking about.

Though I heard he was a bit dinged up in the morning practice today, my eye will be on Cunningham. I will be watching all the rookies and second-year players very closely, but Cunningham will get my focus.

Cunningham
He is critical this year. If he isn't productive in his rookie year, it could be a long year.

Just as a spin off, the non-rookie(s) I'll have my eye on most will be Warren, Lewis and Wheatley.

I voted for Spikes ...

you control the middle and the possibilities multiply on what defensive plays can be called.

Cunningham is important ... but he can only play one half of the field at a time.

The last few years we've been getting killed up the middle especially on 3rd down.

Last edited:
Cunningham and Mesko for me. They are gonna be in two areas where we need to improve big time on last year.

Cunningham and Mesko for me. They are gonna be in two areas where we need to improve big time on last year.

I totally didn't even think of Mesko because he's not a sexy, skill position player. You don't think about punters very often and how field position could almost be considered the fourth facet of a game (offense, defense, special teams). Although it falls under "special teams," I think it can be a category of its own at times.

Brandon and Brandon

Even though Tate is not classified as a rookie, for all intents and purposes, he is.

Are the Pats the only team that has three Brandon's on the roster?

I think this year might be the best one in a long time for "rookie watch."

They have a whopping five (McGowan, Tate, Spikes, Meriweather and Deaderick), all worth keeping an eye on. I went to camp last Thursday. When My son was getting McGowan's autograph, I was standing up a few steps on the bench and I said, "Please don't just sign 'Brandon', they'll never know which one was you". He laughed and said, "I know...there's like 20 of us". FWIW, he's a BIG guy, built like a LB.

For me it was Cunningham. Spikes has McKenzie to saddle up if he's not quite ready. Gronk and Hernandez have each other and Crumpler. If Cunningham doesnt beat the crap out of the rookie curve and perform, we might just be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes