PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which rookie will make the biggest impact this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think that Hernandez will make the biggest impact this season with McCourty contributing the second most. At least in the first part of the season Hernandez is going to drive defenses nutz. In the second half of the season McCourty will be starting and will have at least one blocked kick.

I think that Hernandez will make the biggest impact this season with McCourty contributing the second most. At least in the first part of the season Hernandez is going to drive defenses nutz. In the second half of the season McCourty will be starting and will have at least one blocked kick.

Can we call McKenzie a rookie? Or Crable.

Seen little of those two so far ;)

I would say that Brandon Spikes---and yes, Brandon Tate, will be most effective in their first and "first" years respectively.

I agree on Hernandez. And on Spikes. I bet Spikes even gets a couple Ints as a rook.

On McCourty, I don't think he even be noticed that much on D this year. But I predict he'll be a probowl level stud on Special Teams.

Spikes and Gronkowski, probable starters on defense and offense.

The Zoltan will make the biggest impact on the ball....

I don't see Hernandez having as big a rookie impact as most. I really liked the pick; I just don't the huge impact.

QUESTION 1
Is Hernandez beating out Gronk for the starting TE role? Certainly the starting TE will have an important rookie impact. I would expect Gronk to start and make solid contributions as a starting TE.

QUESTION 2
Who would we expect to be our top 5 receivers going into games after midseason? My expectation would be the list below.

MOSS
WELKER
HOLT or TATE
FAULK or another RB
GRONKOWSKI

Gronkowski will make the biggest impact in the red zone offense. I think Hernandez will make the biggest impact as a whole, though. This is especially if Welker misses a few weeks at the beginning of the season. He causes too many match-up problems with his size (vs. CB's) and athleticism (vs. LB's) to be left out in the cold.

It's going to be extremely interesting watching how this receiving corps shakes out throughout the year. This crop is extremely deep at first glance.

I don't see Hernandez having as big a rookie impact as most. I really liked the pick; I just don't the huge impact.

QUESTION 1
Is Hernandez beating out Gronk for the starting TE role? Certainly the starting TE will have an important rookie impact. I would expect Gronk to start and make solid contributions as a starting TE.

QUESTION 2
Who would we expect to be our top 5 receivers going into games after midseason? My expectation would be the list below.

MOSS
WELKER
HOLT or TATE
FAULK or another RB
GRONKOWSKI

For your first question, it's more or less of a matter of how much they'll use two TE sets with Crumpler in to block and two TE sets with Gronk and Hernandez, the better receiving duo.

I agree with the OP on Hernandez and would not argue with those who pick Spikes but I would really love to see Cunningham make a splash for us as that is the position we need the most help in.

Gronk will be essential and play most snaps. If he doesn't, you have to wonder a bit. Hernendex looks good, but situational. Crumpler shouldn't play a lot.

Both LBs and McCourty should have impact, but might be occasional at first.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Darius Butler stepping up in year two!

I won't say the 'biggest' impact, but i would put put money on Mcourty being a starter before this season ends.

I won't say the 'biggest' impact, but i would put put money on Mcourty being a starter before this season ends.

You think he's going to leapfrog Butler and Bodden by the end of the year? I think he'll be a nickelback this year, but I doubt he'll supplant either one of those guys in the starting line-up.

I know everyone is high on the rookie tightends but I feel you are under estimating what Crumpler brings to the table.

Gronk just turned 21 last month and will be playing against men after a year off. I just dont see him standing out just yet.

Hernandez yeah. Gronk not just yet. Glimmers of hope but let's just hope his back holds up at this point.

I loved this draft and last years, and we will see the rewards of them this season imo.

The more I think about it the more i'm leaning toward Taylor Price to be the rookie who has the most impact, even though the TE's have more opportunity to make their marks. If he can get on the same page as Brady he could be a breakout player because athletically he's got all the tools, size, speed, and great after the catch. he could end up being the long term replacement for Moss.

I like the Spikes pick and believe he will challenge McKenzie for a starting spot inside, and i see Guyton going outside, but McKenzie wins out and he's the starter most of the year. regardless they now have a really good and young ILB rotation, with great leadership qualities. Nicely done by Belichik, great reload. If they keep Guyton inside they have four good young ILB's.

Patrick Chung wins the starting safety job aside Meriweather. Chung is going to be a great player who is all over the field. Like many of the players they drafted the past 2 drafts he's a leader with great experience and a student of the game. Last word out of Foxboro is to expect chung to win that spot in the near future.

Both rookie TE's step in and contribute this year.

Butler replaces Springs and McCourty eventually takes over the nickel from Wilhite.

Vollmer replaces Kaczur at RT.

Tate is in the deep rotation at WR.

M. Pryor and R. Brace get far more playing time in 2010

Last edited:
I'm looking for Chung to be a big contributor as well.

I think Hernandez is going to be a beast.

biggest impact ... no doubt in my mind it will be Zoltan Mesko.

If there was one area that will change greatly ... it will be in the punting game.

images

I think they'll bring Cunningham on slowly... the position change and the lack of veteran teachers on the roster will slow his progress. It is not unusual for rookies to come on slowly while they learn the system, especially on D. BB brought a bunch of his best young defenders on slowly: Warren, Wilfork, Meriweather, Chung... none of them started 16 games as a rookie.

I think Gronk will get caught in the depth chart. I bet that Hernandez outperfoms Gronk, kinda the way Wilhite has out-dueled Wheatley.

McCourty will flash his skills, but he's got too much competition at CB to really lock down the spot as a rookie.

My money is on Spikes for top impact. I think he has the best chance to start all 16 games for us, and become the vocal leader of the D. (1) the depth chart ahead of him is ridiculously thin. (2) the staff are already force feeding him the play calling responsibilities, and we aren't even in camp yet. (3) ILB is the kind of position where fans will sit up and take notice when he lays the lumber.

And, if anyone cares, I bet the punter is legit, too. Kinda the way Gostkowski made us all forget about Vinatieri.

Oh, also, the two young receivers, Price and Tate... I think they're both going to be outstanding. I'm excited to see which of them bursts on the scene first.

Lots of good young talent. Fun times.

Not quite sure who will make the biggest impact this year, like to think Hernandez as he could be a freak at TE, otoh just about all of their draft picks the past two years will make this team better, younger and faster..

We have gone from a period where we thought they could pick up any player from the street at CB, now we have a large group of quality players..

Or Safeties are bigger, stronger and faster... still miss Rodney though.

Our interior LB's have improved significantly... all young and fast, but inexperienced.

All of these new guys do not have to be rushed into the spotlight, they can all play very important complimentary roles until they develop..

Except "the Zoltan".. who will be a real trip for this team.

I'd have to go with Brandon Spikes.

He already played with a huge chip on his shoulder which will be bigger after his draft stock dropped so dramatically. He's calling plays in the huddle. He only has to beat out Guyton (and possibly McKenzie). He brings a major attitude along with a HAMMER. He always seems to arrive at the ball in a bad mood, as Ronnie Lott used to say. I think that he'll really bring that Rodney Harrison character back to a Defense that sorely needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes