PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which RFA would you prefer: Arian Foster or Mike Wallace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to stay realistic here.
I don't see Brady getting back to another SB (never mind winning one) here in NE. Took 4 years since last one...just think it will take at least that long to get back there again. We have alot of holes to fill and will go thru usual rebuild phase as result.

The situations following the 2007 season and this last one are drastically different.

After the 2007 season, the team's defense was old in many areas.

After this one, the team needs to add some talent to a young defense.

As long as Brady can produce at a typical Brady level, there is no reason to say that they have no shot at getting back to the Super Bowl.

The AFC is wide open still.

Foster, I think Foster is a once-per every generation player. We could easily get Lloyd or V-Jax instead of Wallace, as there isn't a whole lot of rb's in FA.

Thank you. Andy Johnson likes to block out the reasons why we actually won those SB's. Of course our defense was credible. That helps!

Nice try. Calling you out for a blatantly wrong comment that the team that was one play from winning the SB can ONLY EVER win another one by making a drastic philosophical change has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons why they won SBs 7-10 years ago. Nice tactic, though, you won't admit your point stinks, so you pretend we are talking about something different.

So now you are changing your tune from one play to " by just making a few plays they normally make" throw me a bone you are the one realizing your comments were off the mark.

No I am saying if you want to pretend it wasn't one play, it doesnt change the point. They were as close as it gets to winning a SB.
What must change for them to win a SB would be minor. You are saying the ONLY WAY THEY EVER WIN ANOTHER is if they make drastic philosophical changes.

My stance from post #1 is that the patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since going to this current gameplay philosophy. And I'm 100% correct because that's the facts. And you sir are wrong. /thread

No, your point is that the only way the ever win one again is to make drastic philiosophical changes. They just came as close as possible. I can think of 100 ways they could win another without that being necessary. In fact they came as close as possible TWICE in the time frame you are talking about.

You aren't arguing they are more likely, or it gives them a better chance, you said it is THE ONLY WAY THEY EVER win again. That is as I said, stupid and wrong.

Didn't the Pats win superbowl titles with Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon pounding the football? What about having a premiere RB and a credible running game changes the winning philosophy?

Foster vs Wallace. I'd say Foster is the bigger impact player. Wallace is still a really good player. But if we can get a guy like VJax from free agency, why would we cough up a draft pick for Wallace?

None of that is pertinent to the discussion I am having.
The poster said the only way they ever win again is if they make a drastic philosophical change. Clearly, the gap between winning a SB and where the Patriots are and were last season is narrow enough that there are many ways they could improve to bridge that gap without needed a change of identity.

Foster, I think Foster is a once-per every generation player. We could easily get Lloyd or V-Jax instead of Wallace, as there isn't a whole lot of rb's in FA.

Wow. That is one large statement about Foster. I think I need to see from him before putting him in that category.

Trying to stay realistic here.
I don't see Brady getting back to another SB (never mind winning one) here in NE. Took 4 years since last one...just think it will take at least that long to get back there again. We have alot of holes to fill and will go thru usual rebuild phase as result.

The Patriots will probably get back to the Super Bowl next year. Outside of the Texans, the conference powers are weakening, and the Patriots have cap space to help improve their team, unlike the Steelers, and both the Texans and Ravens are much closer to the cap than are the Patriots.

The Patriots will probably get back to the Super Bowl next year. Outside of the Texans, the conference powers are weakening, and the Patriots have cap space to help improve their team, unlike the Steelers, and both the Texans and Ravens are much closer to the cap than are the Patriots.

This statement is true however it is likely that the Texans will need to make some tough decisions over the next couple of months that could set them up for success of failure in the years to come. Other than Schaub coming back, they will have to make a choice between Williams and Foster. I thought this blog summarized the cap challenges the Texas face.

2012 NFL Free Agents: 5 Keys to Houston Texans' Strategy | Bleacher Report

To your point, the AFC is not as strong of a conference as it used to be. The only team in the same ballpark as the Pats is BAL and they have some age issues on defense and with Boldin at WR.

No I am saying if you want to pretend it wasn't one play, it doesnt change the point. They were as close as it gets to winning a SB.
What must change for them to win a SB would be minor. You are saying the ONLY WAY THEY EVER WIN ANOTHER is if they make drastic philosophical changes.

No, your point is that the only way the ever win one again is to make drastic philiosophical changes. They just came as close as possible. I can think of 100 ways they could win another without that being necessary. In fact they came as close as possible TWICE in the time frame you are talking about.

You aren't arguing they are more likely, or it gives them a better chance, you said it is THE ONLY WAY THEY EVER win again. That is as I said, stupid and wrong.
Perfect. Back to name calling from Andy Johnson! Dealing with children is time consuming and unfortunately Andy Johnson I don't have all day to make you realize how way off you are. #nextthread

Perfect. Back to name calling from Andy Johnson! Dealing with children is time consuming and unfortunately Andy Johnson I don't have all day to make you realize how way off you are. #nextthread

Irony that while I called you no names and offered no personal insults you feel compelled to chastise me for having done so while doing it yourself.

It is very simple. The team was very close to winning a SB. To suggest they could never win one without drastic philosophical changes is simply factually wrong.
You seem to want to keep making posts to divert the conversation away from that fact, but that fact still exists.
By the way, judging by the level of maturity in your posts, I'd guess that I am old enough to be your father.

Dillon had nothing to do with 2 of the 3 Super Bowl wins. The team won two Super Bowls with Antowain Smith as the running back. As for Foster being a mentality changer or a better value, we'll have to agree to disagree.

But that's really the point of ground game vs air game isnt it? A good ground game can run out the clock after your offense has built the lead. Antowain Smith and Dillon were gamechangers in that respect. They could end the game if you had possession with the lead and 3-4 minutes to kill in the 4th quarter.

This 2011 Pats team had the ball with 4 minutes to go and were up 17-15. They couldn't do anything on the ground. Were forced to pass to try to get a 1st down and couldn't get that either. So it left too much time on the clock for the Giants to drive and come back to win.

If you get 1st downs on the ground with the lead in the 4th quarter of a Superbowl. You WIN. Period, end of story.

Now does the defense need upgrades too? Of course. But overall 21 points given up is not horrible considering that 2 of those came on a safety given up by the offense. We've got to look at the entire picture. WR is a need, but so is RB. What did our RBs do in the superbowl? Glad you asked:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

10 44 4.4

Danny Woodhead

7 18 2.6

Grand total of 17 carries for 62 yards and 3.65 ypc.
Love the fact that BJGE doesn't fumble, but he doesn't produce enough on the ground to relieve any pressure off Brady and he was ineffective in the 4th when we needed to kill the clock the most.

Either Ridley has a bust out year next season, or RB is still an issue for the postseason.

Last edited:
I think we've established that, as good as the offense has been, a guy like Wallace could make it as virtually unstoppable an offense as we've ever seen.

Then we draft for D.

No offense is unstoppable, regardless of how many weapons you have.

We need playmakers on D. Brady, now Welker, and eventually Gronk are going to be huge cap hits.

Irony that while I called you no names and offered no personal insults you feel compelled to chastise me for having done so while doing it yourself.

It is very simple. The team was very close to winning a SB. To suggest they could never win one without drastic philosophical changes is simply factually wrong.
You seem to want to keep making posts to divert the conversation away from that fact, but that fact still exists.
By the way, judging by the level of maturity in your posts, I'd guess that I am old enough to be your father.

Judging by the fact your arguments focus around calling me stupid repeatedly I have come to the conclusion your mental capacity and maturity no longer deserve a response. And you have a hard time understanding pure fact. I will say it for the last time that the patriots have not won since changing their philosophy. That is the cold hard truth. You are wrong and the pats did not come one play away from winning. One play away is 4th and 1 and we get stopped short at the goal line. What we needed was to kill the clock with the lead and pound the ball and play good defense like the Super Bowl years. Not what we do now. But with your stubbornness you fail to understand that. Until the pats win with there air attack and mediocre defense YOU ARE WRONG AND HAVE NO BASIS FOR AN ARGUMENT. :)

Last edited:
Wow. That is one large statement about Foster. I think I need to see from him before putting him in that category.

Fine, then give him another year or two to prove he's no Larry Johnson.

But that's really the point of ground game vs air game isnt it? A good ground game can run out the clock after your offense has built the lead. Antowain Smith and Dillon were gamechangers in that respect. They could end the game if you had possession with the lead and 3-4 minutes to kill in the 4th quarter.

Dude, read what you're saying. You're trying to claim that Antowain Smith was a game changer. Sit back and think on how far you have to stretch an argument to be making that claim.

This 2011 Pats team had the ball with 4 minutes to go and were up 17-15. They couldn't do anything on the ground. Were forced to pass to try to get a 1st down and couldn't get that either. So it left too much time on the clock for the Giants to drive and come back to win.

I shouldn't have to go over this again, but I guess some people just want to refuse to face the facts:

1.) The Patriots' opponents could squeeze all their players low because the Patriots don't have a legitimate middle-deep threat at the WR position.

2.) If Welker catches the ball, this isn't a point of discussion. You're trying to argue an unusual circumstance (Welker drop) is somehow proof of failure of the overall system. Don't be that guy.

If you get 1st downs on the ground with the lead in the 4th quarter of a Superbowl. You WIN. Period, end of story.

If you get 1st downs through the air with the lead in the 4th quarter of a Superbowl. You WIN. Period, end of story.

Now does the defense need upgrades too? Of course. But overall 21 points given up is not horrible considering that 2 of those came on a safety given up by the offense. We've got to look at the entire picture.

Of all the people on this board, I doubt anyone's been more of a 'look at the entire picture' poster than I've been. I've been talking about BJGE for years, noting that he wasn't RB1 material, and getting pounded on for it because I'd defended Maroney starting over him pre-injury/collaps. I've been talking about the WR1 spot since Moss was cut loose, and the WR3 spot since Gaffney was allowed to walk. I pounded BB for the Seymour trade that put a hole in the DL that still hasn't been filled. I've taken crap from the homers for years because I was looking at the entire picture while they were sticking their heads in the sand, and I've taken crap from the Chicken Littles since I first started on the board, because nothing's ever good enough for them.

RB is way down on the 'need' list. That's just the way it is. This team's gone 37-11 (Best record in the AFC) since Brady's returned from his injury and Maroney became damaged goods (3.9 ypc in 15 games), and it's gone to the playoffs each year, gone to the Super Bowl once, and will be the AFC favorite to repeat that next season. They've done that with this running game, because they've had a great passing game.

I'm not averse to improving the running game. I love smash mouth football. I'm just looking at the team and seeing what it is. Getting a middle-deep threat will force the corners and safeties to back off, which will give the run game more room, as well as giving the underneath passers more space. Bringing in the runner without the middle-deep guy will just lead to an even more compressed defense.

...Love the fact that BJGE doesn't fumble, but he doesn't produce enough on the ground to relieve any pressure off Brady and he was ineffective in the 4th when we needed to kill the clock the most.

Either Ridley has a bust out year next season, or RB is still an issue for the postseason.

Green Bay won the Super Bowl with a bad run game.
Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl with a weak run game.
Indianapolis won the Super Bowl with a weak run game.
The Saints won the Super Bowl with Pierre Thomas, not with Foster.

The running game is not how you win the Super Bowl anymore.

Last edited:
Green Bay won the Super Bowl with a bad run game.
Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl with a weak run game.
Indianapolis won the Super Bowl with a weak run game.
The Saints won the Super Bowl with Pierre Thomas, not with Foster.

The running game is not how you win the Super Bowl anymore.

Not to leave out...that team that just beat us that we supposedly need to be more like on offense. They had the 32nd ranked rushing attack in the NFL.

Judging by the fact your arguments focus around calling me stupid repeatedly I have come to the conclusion your mental capacity and maturity no longer deserve a response.
I have not called you stupid a single time. I have called your statement stupid. There is a huge difference. See I am judging your opinion, while as you did again above, you are attacking me personally. Somehow you think that is the appropriate response to disagreement.

And you have a hard time understanding pure fact. I will say it for the last time that the patriots have not won since changing their philosophy. That is the cold hard truth. You are wrong and the pats did not come one play away from winning. One play away is 4th and 1 and we get stopped short at the goal line. What we needed was to kill the clock with the lead and pound the ball and play good defense like the Super Bowl years. Not what we do now. But with your stubbornness you fail to understand that. Until the pats win with there air attack and mediocre defense YOU ARE WRONG AND HAVE NO BASIS FOR AN ARGUMENT. :)
Now your argument is that haven't means never can?
You are describing one way to win, not the only way they could ever win again. One way would be to have the same offense and a defense that could stop 80+ yard drives in the last 2 minutes,because they would have won 2 SBs with that. So there you go. You clearly have no interest in accepting that your point or having a reasonable discussion, so there you go, your point is proven wrong, there is another way. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not called you stupid a single time. I have called your statement stupid. There is a huge difference. See I am judging your opinion, while as you did again above, you are attacking me personally. Somehow you think that is the appropriate response to disagreement.

Now your argument is that haven't means never can?
You are describing one way to win, not the only way they could ever win again. One way would be to have the same offense and a defense that could stop 80+ yard drives in the last 2 minutes,because they would have won 2 SBs with that. So there you go. You clearly have no interest in accepting that your point or having a reasonable discussion, so there you go, your point is proven wrong, there is another way. End of story.

About time you stopped typing. #thankyou

Wait a minute...
Did you really say "enough to make Ocho look like Wallace" here? Really? The only way Ocho looks like Wallace is if he dresses up like him on Halloween!

The best thing there is to help a passing game is a good running game. Sure Jerry Rice and Monatana were great but many forget they had backs like Roger Craig and Ricky Watters. Great backs are rare in this NFL, Foster would make the safety play down in box and just about everyone would get man coverage, IE no double teams. I think the idea of a deep threat is to occupy the safety and force double coverage right? You can do the same thing with a elite back. The problems occur with the cost-effectiveness and durability issues. But in a idealistic vaccuum, Foster is a much better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes