PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which RFA would you prefer: Arian Foster or Mike Wallace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of silly in this post.

Silly? Maybe for you because you don't understand it and did not even provide reasoning for your comment. We are all Pats fans here. But since the last decade we haven't won the big dance and the Saints, Giants, Packers, and Steelers have. I just want the Patriots to add another banner.

When was the last time that a team with one of those "elite" running backs actually won a Super Bowl?

Just curious why you feel this way Deus?

Interested to hear your answer.

1.) Patriots aren't a running team and Foster's not going to change that. He's not that sort of back.

2.) The league is no longer a running league. If I'm going to drop $10 million, I'm dropping it in the passing game.

3.) Wallace opens up the whole field to the offense. Foster just causes the opposing safeties to play closer to the line. Since the current Patriots receivers can't really take advantage of that, it's not much of an improvement.

If we have a playbook with Foster 60 catches 750yds + 250 carries I'd take Foster. 10m for Foster's running skills, a few screens and check downs - no thanks.
Current need and and style it's Wallace, easy.

Local radio in Houston is reporting that the Texans will not franchise Arian Foster, thus allowing him to be a restricted free agent. Texans are also stretched regarding the salary cap. To add to the situation, I don't believe Foster is keen to give the Texans a home town discount. After his breakout season two seasons ago, he asked for a pay boost and the Texans said no (prove it). Arian shut his mouth and played at the NFL minimum without complaining this past season but I have to believe he's a bit pissed at the Texans.

So who do you prefer the Pats use the 31st pick on - Foster or Wallace (I lean towards Foster).

Who cares.. It's not even a remote possibility for the Pats to consider..

BTW, for the other people, by doing the RFA, the Texans only have to guarantee Foster $2.611 million as opposed to $7.7 million (the RB franchise tag). In addition, they get the right of first refusal, meaning they could match the contract if someone else signed Foster for less than $7.7 million a year.

Who cares.. It's not even a remote possibility for the Pats to consider..

BTW, for the other people, by doing the RFA, the Texans only have to guarantee Foster $2.611 million as opposed to $7.7 million (the RB franchise tag). In addition, they get the right of first refusal, meaning they could match the contract if someone else signed Foster for less than $7.7 million a year.

Right, hes not going anywhere, Wallace is different since Pitts payroll is so high

Boy, not giving carries to Arian Foster would be exciting!

Boy, not giving carries to Arian Foster would be exciting!

A reasonable question fans could have asked after the 2010 draft: What was the point of us just drafting two TEs in the first 4 rounds when the TE position is such an afterthought in our offense?

We had a deep, vertical passing game when Moss was here and switched back to the short, ball control offfense when Moss was traded and Branch was brought back. It seems our offense is based on the players in it. The idea that we would ignore Foster based on the fact that we didn't run the ball very much with Green-Ellis (who I love but isn't close to Arian Foster) is a little crazy.

Does no one remember Corey Dillon? Foster could come take alot of pressure off Brady and the passing game.

With that being said, I'd take Wallace. We all know what Moss did for so many years, and with all the picks/FA/backs you can find for cheap, I'd take the WR who can stretch the field.

I'd rather have a Wallace/Hillis than Foster/H. Ward.

It's fun to think about. I vote for Wallace.

Even if we part ways with Welker, which would be likely if we sign Foster, I think we're good at RB receiver. A better choice (resource wise) would be Johnathon Stewart. He was a late season pass-catching demon for Newton. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money at the RB position. Also, we've added Kettani again and Faulk isn't going quietly. So, we're set at RB (keeping BJGE, else a late pix).

Less interesting is Michael Bush ........ Jets or Cinncy as the likely new home.

If we were going to be spending a ton of money on one player I would want Mario Williams.

If we were going to be spending a ton of money on one player I would want Mario Williams.

Yeah sorry, i'm gonna have to go Mario Williams because he's a manchild that plays one of the most difficult positions to develop in allll daaaa leaagguueeee.

Foster every time, he would directly impact the game 20-25 times at an All Pro level and the balance it would give them would allow them to chew time up and limit opposing possessions, which is critical to beating the best QB'S.

I'm still not sold Wallace could get the Patriots offense.

The Texans can't keep everyone.

I really wonder if they will make the all-out effort to keep Foster.

Tate was a 2nd round pick and played very well last year.

My gut tells me they will go all-out to keep Williams.

The only way we win another Super Bowl is if we take the pressure off Brady. Giving a stud RB like Foster more carries than we have with our pass happy offense would lead to nothing but good things. Remember our offense when we won our 3 superbowls? Exactly. Can't argue against that.

While a better running game would take the pressure off of Brady in regards to one side,the bottom line is a much better defense would take WINNING off of being totally on Brady's shoulders.

Give me a better defense over a better running game 8 days a week.

Not sure but maybe Foster. Although I think a bit better O-line in terms of running would be the best bet. You can get a bit better at passprotection as a tradeoff as well.

You're about " What if's". What if welker made that catch? What if our defense made that stop? Don't ignore the facts. We haven't won a SuperBowl since our philosophy became what it is today. Our philosophy in the Superbowl years was closer to the Giants of today then our current patriots. Gasp! So do me a favor Andy Johnson lay off the Gatorade. Everything in football is about Balance. And our patriots have none. Balance between Run and Pass and Offense vs Defense.
What does that have to do with the fact your statement was stupid and wrong?

What does that have to do with the fact your statement was stupid and wrong?

Thanks man, I just spit water all over my monitor from laughing so hard. You calling another person stupid and wrong is classic! At least you have a sense of humour about your mental handicaps.

First off, I want defense more than anything, but if this was the choice, I don't see either happening because I don't see the Pats giving up a 1st round pick for anyone. With that said and if they were both UFA and the Pats would consider it, which I still doubt, I would lean toward Foster. Assuming they retain Welker and Branch and find another WR, either thru FA or the draft, IMO this offense would be deadly with a stud RB. I like what BJGE has done and he is decent, but I still yearn for what Corey Dillon brought to the Pats in that first season and how a threat like Foster would open up the field even more for TB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back