PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Prospect Most Excites You?

Respectfully, I just spat out my lunch.* ASJ can't block! When I've watched him he's been a dominating blocker. The only blocker I've seen better at the position is Fiedorowicz who is great at getting you 5-10 yards but is too slow for much else.

* I didn't really but am just surprised at this evaluation and to be fair to you, I've seen it elsewhere. Thing is, the only place I don't see it is on the playing field. Maybe it's just me.

Let me rephrase. With Ebron and Amaro blocking is very much an after thought and they get off blocks as quickly as possible, or never engage to begin with. ASJ to me seems to get lost in his blocks, lacking a certain level of understanding where the play is going. I dont have concerns about his willingness as much as the other two, but when I watch games, he seems to be moving in different directions than the play should be moving.

That may just be me. When watching their running game, I couldnt help but think thank Bishop would have been better served with a guy like Fied or Niklas moreso.

I am far more the amateur in all this than you guys, just my obvervation.

Respectfully, I just spat out my lunch.* ASJ can't block! When I've watched him he's been a dominating blocker. The only blocker I've seen better at the position is Fiedorowicz who is great at getting you 5-10 yards but is too slow for much else.

* I didn't really but am just surprised at this evaluation and to be fair to you, I've seen it elsewhere. Thing is, the only place I don't see it is on the playing field. Maybe it's just me.

Completely agree with you.
But like you said its not just here..funny.

Let me rephrase. With Ebron and Amaro blocking is very much an after thought and they get off blocks as quickly as possible, or never engage to begin with. ASJ to me seems to get lost in his blocks, lacking a certain level of understanding where the play is going. I dont have concerns about his willingness as much as the other two, but when I watch games, he seems to be moving in different directions than the play should be moving.

That may just be me. When watching their running game, I couldnt help but think thank Bishop would have been better served with a guy like Fied or Niklas moreso.

I am far more the amateur in all this than you guys, just my obvervation.

We're all amateurs and I absolutely respect what you see but ASJ and Fiedorowicz are the two best blocking TEs in this draft as far as I can see. You are right though, I wouldn't be expecting Amaro and Ebron to offer much inline although to be fair, that's not what I'm expecting of them.

We're all amateurs and I absolutely respect what you see but ASJ and Fiedorowicz are the two best blocking TEs in this draft as far as I can see. You are right though, I wouldn't be expecting Amaro and Ebron to offer much inline although to be fair, that's not what I'm expecting of them.

and to be fair, the problems I see with ASJ are all correctable with coaching, as long as he has the smarts. His physical skills are off the charts.

and to be fair, the problems I see with ASJ are all correctable with coaching, as long as he has the smarts. His physical skills are off the charts.

It's his long arms and Gronk like ability to pluck the ball out of the air on top of a big athletic frame that I like so much. Ebron is comfortably #1 on my TE wishlist but that's a pipe dream. ASJ is comfortably my #2.

I know hes been mentioned a few times, but where does Blanchflower fall on all this? Is his competition too weak to get a real feel for his abilities?

I know hes been mentioned a few times, but where does Blanchflower fall on all this? Is his competition too weak to get a real feel for his abilities?

I like him but I'm not sure he's quite imposing enough or athletic enough to be a carry the team starter. As a backup and #2 TE, absolutely.

Edit: I will say this, to my mind, Marcel Jensen is one of the most underrated players in this draft right now. He's pretty athletic for a 260lb - 270lb guy and with some decent coaching should become a force inline. Has really good hands too. Not a first rounder but he's not getting the credit he deserves.

Greg Robinson OL Auburn-I would love to see him at RG.He has the measureables and tools to become a dominant OL in the NFL.

Anthony Barr OLB UCLA-His upside is off the charts, he's raw but in a coupe of seasons he could be a dominant outside pass rusher.

Jace Amaro-he is really well suited to take over The Prisoner's role as a complement to Gronkowski and the primary TE if he goes down again.

Louis Nix-If he has the desire he could eventually replace Wilfork in the middle of their defense.

Looking at this from a draft-wide and not Pats-centric standpoint, here is my short list of prospects that most excite me, for different reasons:

• Clowney - the "can't miss (can he?)" prospect. Could be Bruce Smith, but his performance this year makes you wonder if he could be Aundray Bruce. I'm guessing his half-a--ed performance this year was him protecting himself, so I'm excited to see him cut it loose in the NFL.

• Manziel - the "yeah, but" prospect. Russell Wilson-ish with probably more talent and certainly better on-field accomplishment (in college), but probably not quite the character that I think make Wilson what he is right now. Will Johnny Football be the next Andre Ware (colossal bust), Fran Tarkenton (HOF-er), or Doug Flutie (something in between)? I'm excited to see him in the right situation (Houston or Cleveland, not Jacksonville or Minnesota).

• Lyerla - the "bat s--t crazy but fantastically talented" prospect. Could be Charles Haley, but his nuttiness makes you think he is more likely to be Lawrence Phillips (and you pray not Rae Carruth or <former Pats employee #81>). I'm excited to see how this plays out, for some other team.

Looking at this from a draft-wide and not Pats-centric standpoint, here is my short list of prospects that most excite me, for different reasons:

• Clowney - the "can't miss (can he?)" prospect. Could be Bruce Smith, but his performance this year makes you wonder if he could be Aundray Bruce. I'm guessing his half-a--ed performance this year was him protecting himself, so I'm excited to see him cut it loose in the NFL.

• Manziel - the "yeah, but" prospect. Russell Wilson-ish with probably more talent and certainly better on-field accomplishment (in college), but probably not quite the character that I think make Wilson what he is right now. Will Johnny Football be the next Andre Ware (colossal bust), Fran Tarkenton (HOF-er), or Doug Flutie (something in between)? I'm excited to see him in the right situation (Houston or Cleveland, not Jacksonville or Minnesota).

• Lyerla - the "bat s--t crazy but fantastically talented" prospect. Could be Charles Haley, but his nuttiness makes you think he is more likely to be Lawrence Phillips (and you pray not Rae Carruth or <former Pats employee #81>). I'm excited to see how this plays out, for some other team.

That is certainly a high upside list.

I just want to say this though and it's not directed at you. Anybody who watched Clowney make a fool of Antonio Richardson wouldn't be second guessing him. People are overthinking Clowney. Like Robert Quinn, just tell him to go out and hunt Quarterbacks. He'll bag a fair few.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back