PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which position do you think we will draft with #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't why anyone believes that Light would be a better RT than a LT.

I think after passing so many years as LT, it would be difficult to move to RT...

And I think he is a good LT....

And Jake Long is not Joe Thomas....

Julius Jones is a UFA, Barber is a RFA - their depth at draft time is uncertain.

Regarding the thread, I think we could use :

1) CB
2) RT
3) CB

I would add OLB if we don't bring Colvin back and if AD goes back inside. As of now we have Vrabel and Colvin outside with AD ready to go if needed. No need there for me.

Of course ILB is a need but until shown otherwise I'm assuming we address that with veteran FA.

I listed CB twice as Samuel and Gay are UFA.

Cousins,
LB is obvious but S is a maximum need too. Harrison....Who knows what he will do.
I think that Eugene Wilson is gone. The Giants got him twice. He has had it. Merriweather is starting to get it but it takes a year and Sanders is still an enigma. Misses tackles and terrible in coverage. Some say he is great. I see him as just a rotation JAG. He has had many starts and is fair at best. His improvement line is flat.
Silva from BC looks like he could be a little bigger Bob Sanders. Or.....He could be a Vetrone clone as a negative.

I think they save CAP and let Colvin go. So LB will be iffy with Seau probably gone and Teddy maybe. Briggs would be an upgrade to Colvin, but now what you saved on Colvin goes to Briggs. Dansby might be on their radar inside. I don't know if BB and SP go for a Rook.

TE? Watson was better when Graham was here. Just not a full time TE and gets nicked a lot. Don't trust his hands. Blocking? Better this year.
Kyle Brady...fair. David Thomas....glass and there has to be a better more durable guy. Perhaps Tamme from Kentucky in the 3rd round?

CB?....Assante is the key.
DW Toys

i think we move down and pick up more draft picks

I don't see the Patriots picking at #7, unless there is a stud left tackle available. I certainly don't know all the players in the top part of the draft, but I would expect them to trade out of that spot if the value is there, and I would think that it would be.

I would also think that the cap hit would be less for the two picks they would get as opposed to signing the #7, but I'll leave that to the draft folks on the board to set me straight on.

Having said that, however, I do think their two biggest needs are ILB & CB. I'm also a bit concerned at depth at safety, Sanders looks pretty solid, Rodney's going to be a year older, I'm not sure about Eugene Wilson, and school is still out on Meriweather- I've seen him make a couple of good special teams hits.

Should be interesting as always.

You don't know all the players in the top part of the draft, yet you conclude that Belichick will not find value picking at #7?????????

I don't see the Patriots picking at #7, unless there is a stud left tackle available. I certainly don't know all the players in the top part of the draft, but I would expect them to trade out of that spot if the value is there, and I would think that it would be.

I would also think that the cap hit would be less for the two picks they would get as opposed to signing the #7, but I'll leave that to the draft folks on the board to set me straight on.

Having said that, however, I do think their two biggest needs are ILB & CB. I'm also a bit concerned at depth at safety, Sanders looks pretty solid, Rodney's going to be a year older, I'm not sure about Eugene Wilson, and school is still out on Meriweather- I've seen him make a couple of good special teams hits.

Should be interesting as always.

You don't know all the players in the top part of the draft, yet you conclude that Belichick will not find value picking at #7?????????

Based on what they'll have to pay a #7 pick; it might not work out in their salary cap formula-that's all I was saying in terms of value. I have looked at many of the players who may go in the first round, but I haven't studied them at length yet, so I can't say for sure and was just posting my first impressions on the subject. Sorry I wasn't more clear-prompting you to use so many question marks.

Left tackle is the most difficult position on the offensive line because most teams put their best pass rusher at right defensive end because it is the weak side as well as the blind side for right handed QB's.

Light is OK but not spectacular. I think he would be good at right tackle where he is not going up against elite speed rushing defensive ends and where he gets help from the tight end.

I am not sure who they will pick with their first pick, but I can completely guarantee they won't be picking a punt returner. I also would be surprised if they traded down on the pick, and I wouldn't be shocked if they moved up with it either.

Some of you all hit the nail on the head. On a team with very few holes, what is the point in drafting a lot of players, many of whom won't make the team. It makes much more sense to draft a few amazing players who will make the team. What good is a 4th or 5th rounder to the patriots if he can't beat out the veteran at his position and gets cut?? That is why they traded away all those picks last year, weak draft and the players available couldn't make the team. The same thing really applies this year, except the draft is supposed to be quite a bit stronger.

Any player who goes into the draft because one of the 32 teams has a player who would mentor him is an idiot. There is reason to believe that he would get drafted by the patriots, or are you suggesting that Seau will play for whoever draft him?

What I am saying is BB likes him, he fits, we have USC guys on the team, our LB coach is likely gone at the end of the year(maybe push Junior here), and 1+1=2 sometimes. I cant see anyone taking him before #7 if he declares, and I cant see us bypassing him.

Kindly explain your logic here. As you do, please explain to me the need to replace Thomas, Vrabel or Colvin (I omit Seau and Bruschi because we don't know their plans).
when BB was with the Giants he did indeed use younger LB's, same holds true in Cleveland and his 1st tour here in NE under Tuna
see this thread at PP
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29340

remember Thomas is a long term deal but Colvin and Vrabel deals are done in 1 and 2 years - same as Light and a majority of the Offensive line

I do agree that Light could move to RT but that is a huge change in position, your whole footwork and everything is changed

I think they take the CB they like best, whether or not that involves a trade down.

LB is the second-most likely, for all the obvious reasons.

I don't think BB values RBs much differently from the way other teams do -- so having Maroney/Morris/Faulk and a propensity to play shotgun, they may not value a new RB as highly as other teams do.

They will take the top prospect at OT, CB or DE/LB. You guys keep forgetting that have Lua who looked pretty good in preseason at ILB.

NEWS FLASH: Matt Light is a Pro Bowler. Why would we draft someone to play a position we already have filled?

Actually All-Pro first team, which I found amazing. Was Light really the second best tackle in football this year?

Actually All-Pro first team, which I found amazing. Was Light really the second best tackle in football this year?

Probably not I'd say, but he was top 5 (and I used to bash Light). He makes a spectacular error once or twice a month but nearly every tackle does.

If Asante Samuel departs via unrestricted free agency, I anticipate the New England Patriots will select a cornerback, Terrell Thomas from USC or Antoine Cason from Arizona.

:confused:

They are not top 15 material.

Other topic:

This year's RB crop, with the juniors coming on, should be fabulous. Hope they will get one in the middle rounds.

Last edited:
BB will trade down for extra picks

I think the value at the #7 spot if we choose not to trade down will be a OLB pass rusher in the Marriman/Demarcus Ware mold if one is available...

They will take the top prospect at OT, CB or DE/LB. You guys keep forgetting that have Lua who looked pretty good in preseason at ILB.

Not that i recall. I hope he contributes but i saw a slow confused guy.

I see the Pats moving down in the first round if some team gives them an excellent trade offer.

when BB was with the Giants he did indeed use younger LB's, same holds true in Cleveland and his 1st tour here in NE under Tuna...

In the case with the Giants and his 1st tenure with the Pats, BB wasn't the head coach, so he didn't have any say on the LBs who makes the team. He had to work with what he's been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down