PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which players do the Patriots extend before they hit free agency?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think the Pats will return to a strategy of developing players through the draft, locking up core players and using veteran JAGs to fill the open roster spots.

They may only be passive players in free agency for the next couple of seasons as they get younger (and cheaper). They will try to lock up the core of younger players before they hit the open market. This will start with James Sanders, he should be relatively cheap and will add continuity to their young secondary. Hobbs is also a possibility.

http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html

James Sanders (free agent in 2009, 25 when he hits free agency)
Rodney Harrison (free agent in 2009, 35 when he hits free agency)
Richard Seymour (free agent in 2010, 30 when he hits free agency)
Vince Wilfork (free agent in 2010, 28 when he hits free agency)
Logan Mankins (free agent in 2010, 28 when he hits free agency)
Ellis Hobbs (free agent in 2010, 27 when he hits free agency)
Mike Vrabel (free agent in 2010, 35 when he hits free agency)
Matt Light (free agent in 2010, 32 when he hits free agency)
Tom Brady (free agent in 2011, 33 when he hits free agency)

The Pats will want to extend Wilfork and Mankins, no question. And of course Brady.

Sanders, I don't know. Harrison, who knows if he even wants to play another year? But I don't think the Pats would have a hard time coming to an agreement if he wanted to come back. So the answer is no. Worry about it in the offseason.

Seymour, Hobbs, Vrabel, and Light...This question cannot be answered now. In Seymour's case, they need to see if he regains his previous form and stays healthy. Vrabel will be 35 so they'd have to see if he regresses at all this year. Light I'd guess is 50/50, but he will be 32 so it pays to be cautious.

Hobbs it depends to what level he elevates his game this year playing without Samuel. Can't answer that question today.

better get Wilfork, he is a stud and still young. Brady they will extend also

i see them extending a big contract with wilfork and a small one with sanders this year

and a big one with brady and small one with hobbs next year

which really leaves mankins and light and even seymour out

vrabel and harrison would be too old to make things difficult/ or important

so the odd men out are mankins and light and seymour...i dont think seymour comes back, and i dont believe we keep both of light and mankins...

so with in teh next 2 years, the players i see extended are wilfork and brady (to big contracts), mankins over light (medium contract), and hobbs and sanders (small contracts), with wilfork coming first

Most of this is pretty obvious, but the big question is Seymour.. not sure if he will be cap friendly enough to resign.. can't fall in love with the veterans..

I hope to god they extend Wilfork....Im waiting on it so I can get my first authentic jersey with the name WILFORK on the back! AWESOME!

I'm a little surprised that Vrabel didn't recieve many votes. I know he'll be 35, but he's been a very reliable player for us.

Depends on how much money they are looking for. Not one of them would be worth cutting if they were willing to re-up for the same terms as their current contract, but if they are looking for AS money all (except Brady) are expendable.

I'm shocked, not just surprised, that more folks here think that Wilfork will be extended than think that Tom Brady will be extended. Whoa!
And I'm not denigrating Wilfork whom I believe is essential to extend. At present 25% of you feel that Brady leaves in 2011.

Last edited:
The only two surefire resignings are Brady and Wilfork. If Sanders shows promise then I would like to see them resign him.

Probably the Pats should try to re-sign Sanders first. His

contract runs thru 2008. The Pats did not address the safety

position in the recent draft.

Yikes!! More people think we should resign Wilfork than Brady. :bricks:

We don't need to worry about Brady for 3 years, and Wilfork is next year. I'm not even sure why Brady is on this list.

OK you 25%. Time to tell us why you think the Pats let Brady go in 2011. I'm waiting.

I think one result you get is people not aware they could make multiple selections.:)

Seymour has a make or break year ahead of him.

I think one result you get is people not aware they could make multiple selections.:)

Seymour has a make or break year ahead of him.

Possibly, but note that many who did NOT pick Brady DID make multiple selections. Go figure.

I'm shocked, not just surprised, that more folks here think that Wilfork will be extended than think that Tom Brady will be extended. Whoa!
And I'm not denigrating Wilfork whom I believe is essential to extend. At present 25% of you feel that Brady leaves in 2011.

I'm betting that is because many didn't know multiple selections were possible and did not see Brady's name since they figured he is such a no brainer he wouldn't be on the poll.

Have you seen the film on O'Connell? Plus Tom has a bad ankle and shoulder.

Tom is getting traded before training camp starts. :)

Last edited:
Possibly, but note that many who did NOT pick Brady DID make multiple selections. Go figure.

I made multiple selections and almost missed Brady. I did not think he'd be on the list since he would be a no brainer. Coming in I figured it would be a Wilfork vs. Seymour thing and that colored my expectations. I suspect that was so common that we see the effect in the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes