PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which players are you regretting we let leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny, because when Graham was here he was considered to be an underwhelming first round pick...

Not by me he wasn't, he earned his $.

He was a hell of alot better than the guys they have rotated in here ever since he left, and after all the TE wheeling and dealing and drafting, they don't even have a TE now, and the position has been weak since then.

Last edited:
you're kidding, right? For $10million/. That's not good value, dude. Some ppl just don't get running a business...

Maybe some peoples choices aren't because of the money, more about what they brought on the field, and if you read the title of the thread it doesn't mention anything to do with the why or wherefores of each players situation.

Some people really need to reign in the patronising posting on this site.

I'd have to say Asante. Of course I was pissed when they let Law go, but he apparently didn't have many good years left in him after his departure. He did have the 10 INT year with the Jets, but he was still clearly not the same player.

Hobbs was let go for far too little I thought. We really missed his returns last year and he could've been an upgrade over Wilhite as the nickel.

Jabar Gaffney is definitely worth the 2 or 3 M a year that he is making in Denver. I'm sure we will replace, maybe even upgrade him, but there's still uncertainty there and the lack of WR depth hurt us last year.

That's about all for me, lots of players I miss but most of them were getting money that they were not worth to us IMO

this was the first person to mention it....

jabar gaffney is by far the biggest mistake this team has made in a while regarding vets go....

not only was the guy cheap, which was not the case for most other players mentioned, but he was NOT injury prone, as some other guys, and above all that, we brought in guys to replace him, and BOTH WERE CUT, which left us w/ 2 legit wr's, in a league where most teams have 4-5...

no, above all else, gaffney was the biggest mistake, he was an excellent #3, and would have improved this offense this past year tremendously

I don't think I regret any of them leaving. Some are close calls and I would have rathered to keep guys like Graham, Givens, Hobbs but I wouldn't say it's a big regret.

I was happy to see Samuel go and Branch netted a great return for his childish decisions in '06. Seymour was a good deal.

as the downward spiral continues

I'm assuming this is about the BB era, so.....

Law
Samuel (because he wasn't replaced)
Hobbs
Seymour
Watson (Unless there's a surprise replacement in the wings)
Graham
Gaffney (because he wasn't replaced)
Givens

Not by me he wasn't, he earned his $.

He was a hell of alot better than the guys they have rotated in here ever since he left, and after all the TE wheeling and dealing and drafting, they don't even have a TE now, and the position has been weak since then.

Doesn't make Graham any better though.

Doesn't make Graham any better though.

Best run blocking tight end in football, and capable of 30 receptions a year. Why does he need to be better than that?

Best run blocking tight end in football, and capable of 30 receptions a year. Why does he need to be better than that?

I always thought that first characterization was over-rating him.

I think we did alright without him.

Yeah we did, but still, Dillon aside its been like a real pain in the arse since hasn't it. Faulk is a great 3rd down back, but jeez Martin was a step above, one of the last bastians of an every down RB.

Everytime I look at this it makes me feel sick

Year Team Games Attempts Yards YPC TDs
1995 New England Patriots 16 368 1,487 4.0 14
1996 New England Patriots 16 316 1,152 3.6 14
1997 New England Patriots 13 274 1,160 4.2 4
1998 New York Jets 15 369 1,287 3.5 8
1999 New York Jets 16 367 1,464 4.0 5
2000 New York Jets 16 316 1,204 3.8 9
2001 New York Jets 16 333 1,513 4.5 10
2002 New York Jets 16 261 1,094 4.2 7
2003 New York Jets 16 323 1,308 4.0 2
2004 New York Jets 16 371 1,697 4.6 12
2005 New York Jets 12 220 735 3.3 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_rushing_yards_leaders

Last edited:
david givens, never played a full 16 games for anyone not paying him was a good move by the pats.

Daniel Graham, got all most 7 million to be a blocker. and he only gets 20 rec a year. i think a 7th round pick OT can block just as good if not better then graham, and would only cost 1 million that leves 6 million more to get a real receiver.

deion branch, was a trade but he has never had 1000 yerds rec for any one. and has missed 28 games in he's Career. and they got Brandon Meriweather, a all pro S for a injury prone. WR. and if they would have paid him the pats never would have traded for moss, and welker,

samuel, was a bad move he is a play maker at DB and the pats never replaced. him and they may let bodden walk to.

leting a then 25 year old tully banta-cain, walk the first time. when every LB on the roster was over 30. and signing a 29 year old AD who has been a Disappointment. and in the long run they still give TBC over 4 million.

the seymour, trade was bad but watching him sign with a new team today and not geting anything back for him would have hurt more.

Most noteworthy is who the above poster did not mention...in other words jabar

With 20-20 hindsight, it was obviously a mistake to get rid of David Thomas.

But offhand, as we sit on Day One of free agency, I'm not thinking of a bigger example.

David Thomas? Do you miss seeing his name on the Patriots' injury report?

I mean really. He didnt play much when he was here. And its not like he set the world on for for the Saints either. What did he have, about 30 catches and 1 TD for a pass-oriented team?

Fred Lynn.

How bout Anquian Bolden:D

Probably Samual, because its a position they have a hard time replacing...

Damn straight, they haven't been able to replace him STILL to this day, and they have drafted and brought in so many TE's it's embarrassing.

Damn straight, they haven't been able to replace him STILL to this day, and they have drafted and brought in so many TE's it's embarrassing.

I would fully endorse DG being back on this team- in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots