PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Player(s) would you NOT want to see taken at #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There has been mocks upon mocks done with several players mentioned as Patriots picks at #7. Some of them I see, I just shake my head at.

There are also threads here that mention all kinds of guys that the Patriots should take at #7. So let's now do it in reverse. Which players have you seen on mocks or player ranking that you would hate to have the Patriots take at #7.

Here is my first one. -Cromartie! If his last name was not Cromartie, I don't think any mock would have him going as high as #7. For everything I've read about him, he is over rated and and probably a 2nd rounder at best.

Needless to say, there would be no way that I take Matt Ryan with the seventh pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Any corner. Or Guard.

Brendan Albert. Not at #7. Maybe at #20.

Matt Ryan, Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis.

Not that I don't think that they are top-10 talent; it's just that you cannot draft someone #7 overall who may not start until 2010.

BTW, the FO will not draft Ryan; they just better not draft the other 2.

1. Ryan
2. McFadden
3. Dorsey
4. Clady
5. Albert
6. Ellis
7. Cromartie
8. McKelvin
9. Talib
10. Otah

There are others, but these I have seen in some mocks.

I definitely don't think Cromartie is the best value us No. 7, but I wouldn't be completely pissed since we do need a CB and he is at worst the third-best corner in the draft. I guess the worst would be any receiver or quarterback at No. 7. Now that would be just horrible.

Cromartie, Clady, or McFadden.

1. Ryan
2. McFadden
3. Dorsey
4. Clady
5. Albert
6. Ellis
7. Cromartie
8. McKelvin
9. Talib
10. Otah

There are others, but these I have seen in some mocks.

I've seen a few random folks on the Interwebs suggesting the Pats might take a backup to Brady with #7 (gee, no irony there), but, seriously, have any reputable mocks had the Pats taking Ryan? [Not trying to harp, because clearly all of the others have been linked to the Pats--though not all at the #7 pick--except for Ryan.]

I don't want to see any CB at 7. I don't think any of them are worthy of the 7th pick. Of course, if we drafted one, I'd obviously trust BB's opinion over mine :p

Needless to say, there would be no way that I take Matt Ryan with the seventh pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Agreed. Matt Ryan would be a huge waist of a pick for the Pats.
Sure. Pay top 10 salary to a rookie back up QB.
Yeah. I think that would be the worse thing they could do.
Of course that won't happen.
If they can't acquire one of the top lbs then I hope they trade down.
Maybe even a deferred number one from somebody like San Fran.:D

I have yet to see any mock havin us taking Ryan. I'm not sold on Groves and think he is a big risk at #7.

I have yet to see any mock havin us taking Ryan. I'm not sold on Groves and think he is a big risk at #7.

The thread isn't about "what player on Pats' mocks would you NOT want to see taken at #7". The thread is about general players that would be a waste of our time if we took them at 7. Personally, I can't think of a bigger waste of a pick than Matt Ryan.

Any cornerback or guard. It would be really dissapointing if they drafted Brandon Albert.

The thread isn't about "what player on Pats' mocks would you NOT want to see taken at #7".

Actually, that's exactly what the thread was intended to be. Reread the original post! It's way too easy to choose ANY player you don't want picked that high.

I've flirted with LT at #7, but no more. I'd even rather that they "settle" for the best cornerback in the draft rather than take an o-lineman that high, or any offensive player for that matter.

:eek: QB Matt Ryan, BC :eek:
:bricks:(note: post-pick trade with Dolphins for RB Darren McFadden). :bricks:
OL Roy Schuening, Oregon St
OLB/DE Marcus Howard, UGA
CB DeJuan Tribble, BC
MLB Stanford Keglar, Purdue
WR/KR Dorien Bryant, Purdue
TE Kellen Davis, Michigan State
OL John Sullivan, ND

That's the Pats draft, IMHO, like it or not.

:eek: QB Matt Ryan, BC :eek:
:bricks:(note: post-pick trade with Dolphins for RB Darren McFadden).

OK, I'm going to make an honest try to make sense of this.

You're saying that the Dolphins draft McFadden #1 when they really want Matt Ryan, then pray that Ryan drops all the way to the Patriots at #7. Then they swap, presumably taking the Pats' 2nd-rounder and, say, their #2 next year. So the Pats trade a high #1 and 2 #2s for a running back to split carries with Maroney...then can't afford to sign him because their rookie cap is slotted to #7.

Nope, I still don't get it. :)

(Seriously, even if I wanted the player, post-pick trades don't work because of the rookie cap.)

The thread isn't about "what player on Pats' mocks would you NOT want to see taken at #7". The thread is about general players that would be a waste of our time if we took them at 7. Personally, I can't think of a bigger waste of a pick than Matt Ryan.

Thanks you for informing me what the thread I started is all about.

Sorry, I put Ryan in there as a horrible, horrible, horrible, idea, not anything I have seen on a credible mock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes