Welcome to PatsFans.com

Which player on IR could have made a difference

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Jan 22, 2011.

?

IR player who could have made a difference?

1. Kevin Faulk

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Nick Kaczur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stephen Neal

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Leigh Bodden

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Ty Warren

42 vote(s)
    55.3%
  6. Ron Brace

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Stephen Goskowski

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. None of these players would have made any difference

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. Someone not mentioned above

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Which player that went on IR do you think could have been the biggest difference if they had not been injured and played against the Jets?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kaczur, Bodden, Warren, Brace, McGowan, Faulk

I'm sorry, but is there something I'm missing from this thread? Isn't it obvious that everyone would've helped? (I don't mean to be callous)
  3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's a poll, Speedy Gonzalez...hold yer fire :)
  4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Brady needed to play better, The wide receivers needed to get open. We needed to have better play-calling. None of these would have helped much.
    ============

On defense, I think the biggest gain would ahe come from solidifying the DL. Obviously, we were limited in what we could do. Warren would have helped most.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -5

Gostkowski would have helped on kickoffs.

Wright, who isn't listed, would have helped with the pass rush.
  6. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +142 / 9 / -8

#12 Jersey

for whatever reason the defense did not look as nasty when Spikes got suspended.
  7. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -1

I would say Mike Wright.

Also I wonder if Bodden wasn't on IR if McCourty would of developed so quickly?
  8. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

I think all of them except probably wilhite would of. I think Bodden makes the biggest impact though.
  9. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'd say it is irrelevant. Bodden played the RCB, while McCourty was competing with Butler on the left side.

My vote is for Warren. The DL was ridiculously thin. They held up well enough, but they were just hanging on at times.
  10. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Mine too. The defense vs the run on 3rd down and < 4 was sub-standard all year long.

Last 5 games vs NYJ

32-136 L
    31-152 W
    29-120 L
    26-104 W
    31-117 L

4.2 ypc. Don't look now but your division rival who at the same time has a better defense, a better running game, a better head-to-head record and has advanced farther in the playoffs two years in a row.

Something needs to change.
  11. 102 Pat

102 Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -2

#85 Jersey

It seemed like Graham wasn't getting good hangtime and it felt like everytime the Jets started a drive, they had great field position.
  12. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Totally agree. While the run defense numbers seem average, one jumps off the page, and that being the 24.2% of runs going for a 1st down.

Considering we didn't give up many big runs (just 6 over 20+ yards, 3rd-best), that means a lot of 2nd and 3rd down conversions on the ground.

If Warren is healthy, that will help, but we still haven't found someone to replace Seymour. Hopefully the draft fills this spot. I also think we need to upgrade the OLB spots because apart from Cunningham, we weren't able to consistently set the edge.
  13. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The % of runs for 1st down can be misleading as they were playing with a lead a lot and went into a nickel and dime defense, thus making the defense as a whole susceptible to the run. Even with that, I still agree with you. They showed some improvement but too many times this D couldn't...

A) Be stout on 3rd down running plays.
    B) Apply pressure on the the QB, thus allowing 3rd down passing conversions.

A guy like Sey is a once every 3-4 drafts kinda player. Can rush the passer, stop the run, take on double teams (and beat them) and leave the other defenders w/ 1:1 matchups. Suh was that guy this year. Look at DETs defensive stats from 2009 and compare them to 2010. They are astounding.

This D can be elite with Brace, Wilfork, T.Warren as the starters and Wright, G. Warren, Pryor and whomever else as subs but if they are going to go down that path, they MUST get 1-2 OLBs than can put pressure on the passer and also fly to the ball on running plays.

Look at Pitt. They play a 3-4. Their D-lineman are good. Hampton, Keisel, Hood and Aaron Smith when he is healthy. Obviously, their LBs are crazy good. So either BB gets a Sey on the line or he goes out and gets a 1-2 dominant OLBs.

Or both!!:D
  14. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -2

Hate this post because it is so true. Good homework.
    DW Toys
  15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +899 / 17 / -24

No Jersey Selected

By order of who could have helped the most...

1. Stephen Neal - The key to the Jets defensive gameplan was getting interior pressure up the A and B gaps on Brady in spite of rushing 4 men or less on the majority of their defensive downs. Neal over Connolly would have been a huge asset in this area.

2. Ty Warren and Ron Brace- The Jets didn't even have to run at Wilfork. They made their living running to the outside. Gerard Warren is decent against the pass but gets pushed out of the way rather easily against the run. Deaderick looked like a bright spot at times this season, but was pushed around in the running game on Divisional weekend as well. Having Ty Warren in instead of Gerard Warren and Ron Brace instead of Deaderick would have helped the run defense.

3. Leigh Bodden - Would have done a better job against Holmes and would have pushed Arrington into the slot, where he would have been more effective against Cotchery than Butler was.
  16. Aldogg

Aldogg Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Voted Warren. The D-Line was devastated by injuries going into this game, and having him back would have been beneficial in stopping the run and maybe help generate a little better pass rush.
  17. ArchAngel007

ArchAngel007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Randy Moss....lol nah Ty Warren gets my vote for the depleted DL.
  18. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

For me, it's Definitely Gostkowski. While Graham handled the place kicking duties well in relief (and I commend him for that) his lack of a touchback leg cost us valuable field position every time he kicked off. I said as much when Ghost went on IR.

Just to be clear I don't blame Graham, i just really REALLY missed Ghost on kickoffs.

Edit: yeah, just lookin at the stats Graham had 57 kickoffs in the regular season and only 2 Touchbacks, vs 42 KO and 15 TB for Ghost.
  19. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Bodden. People forget about how much of a stud he was last year--some even describing him as a JAG :eek: Huh? For someone not named Reavis, Asomugha, or Bailey, he was as good as they come. He and McCourtey would have allowed BB to give drastically different looks on defense, and TBC might have had another 10 sack season.

Let's be honest, as much as Arrignton overachieved, he's a below average starting corner, and Butler is a [sometimes way] below-average nickel.

Warren is right up there, except that no one really knew what kind of a T.Warren we were getting back--out of shape, behind in preparation and injury prone, or the Ty Warren at his peak.
  20. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +142 / 9 / -8

#12 Jersey

every one is out shape to a certain extent coming into training camp. ty warren is probably going to be determined as anyone to get ready for next year. he didn't play a single snap this year and im sure will be itching to go.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.