PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Pats player will be the 'shocker' cut/release/trade this offseason?

Like others have said, I see spikes being the most valuable asset on the field that we could lose in some way

Im going with Mesko. Mesko comes off a so-so year (43.1 yards per punt last season after averaging 46.5 the year before) into the final year on his contract.
Mesko will cost about $1.37 million against the cap this year.

Enter Ryan Allen....left footed punter just like Mesko. He averaged 48.1 yards per kick and is the only two time winner of the Ray Guy award.
Allen will cost around $405k against the cap if he gets the job.

Unless Allen bombs, I have a tough time justifying an extra million dollars on a punter who's had mediocre results.

This article helps detail the competition.

New England Patriots punter Zoltan Mesko welcomes competition with rookie Ryan Allen | masslive.com

Ryan Allen: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Louisiana Tech Punter | Bleacher Report

My shocker is Josh Boyce. I think he's in a bit of trouble, due to the foot injury, he won't be able to be involved in any of the OTA's, he will be behind all of the other receivers. The Pats will only keep 5 or 6

Amendola
Edelman
Dobson
Slater
Jones
Hawkins

Boyce may be in trouble. I think they may Demps him, and put him on the IR, but ya never know. He could get cut (I hope not). I know Edelman will miss the OTAs, but he's been in the Pats system for several years, he already knows the system, another thing Boyce needs to get down.

Its hard to predict these things, but outside of FA who were added this year, if I had to I'd guess Dan Connolly.

1. Was the weakest link on the offensive line last season.

2. Is owed a decent amount of money, and a lot of money for a 5th interior lineman.

3. Plays a position which we do very well at developing. Thus there is a comparatively high probability that a now unheralded player is ready to replace him.

I don't think Cunningham or Edelman would be a surprise, although they seem to qualify as surprises around these parts.

Im going with Mesko. Mesko comes off a so-so year (43.1 yards per punt last season after averaging 46.5 the year before) into the final year on his contract.

Enter Ryan Allen....left footed punter just like Mesko. He averaged 48.1 yards per kick and is the only two time winner of the Ray Guy award.

Unless Allen bombs, I have a tough time justifying an extra million dollars on a punter who's had mediocre results.

New England Patriots punter Zoltan Mesko welcomes competition with rookie Ryan Allen | masslive.com

Ryan Allen: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Louisiana Tech Punter | Bleacher Report

If Ryan Allen becomes another Ray Guy, I'd have no problem if he becomes our punter. I like Mesko, he's been great for the Pats, but if Allen can help us more, so be it.

Mesko plays on a team with an elite offense that sets him up to punt into short fields a lot. Furthermore, since college he has been known as a hangtime punter. Not to say Allen can't surprise (as he is a very good one himself) but judging a punter by their yards per kick is a pointless exercise.

If Ryan Allen becomes another Ray Guy, I'd have no problem if he becomes our punter. I like Mesko, he's been great for the Pats, but if Allen can help us more, so be it.

Who ever performs the best should be our punter. I'd like to see a kicker in camp to compete with Gost too.

Mesko plays on a team with an elite offense that sets him up to punt into short fields a lot. Furthermore, since college he has been known as a hangtime punter. Not to say Allen can't surprise (as he is a very good one himself) but judging a punter by their yards per kick is a pointless exercise.

47% of his punts wind up inside the 20.

The best I could find in the NFL last year by this measure were Andy Lee (49ers probowler), and Dustin Colquitt (KC) each at 54%, leaving Mesko 3rd.

Punt average is one of the most useless statistics in sports.

More important is that nearly half his punts were downed inside the 20, and teams couldn't manage much when they got the chance to return them.

I didn't judge him simply by his yards per kick average. The link I provided mentioned the fact that Allen had over 44% of his kicks downed inside the 20 last year and 47% the year before that as well.

Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon.

I didn't judge him simply by his yards per kick average. The link I provided mentioned the fact that Allen had over 44% of his kicks downed inside the 20 last year and 47% the year before that as well.

Mesko has been a good, reliable punter. He's not a weapon like old-school Brian Moorman, but he's been very dependable. Not many returns against, which we all know has to be BB's primary concern.

I want competition for Ghost and whoever preforms better gets the job.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back