Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Draft Option Do You Prefer?

• Take RB CJ Spiller at #23 and DE Corey Wooten at #45

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Trade #23 and #45 for #11 and take ILB Rolando McClain

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
I could not agree more. As I have said many times before, Mayo does not make big plays, and maybe a ton of the reason has to do with him playing out of position. In my mind he should be in the old Bruschi weak side spot; playing alongside a McClain or Thomas type ILB. And Guyton,I know a lot of people here like him, but in my mind,he is a back up to Mayo and that is it.

I know it is hard for second year players to know how opposing offenses are attacking them, it took Bruschi three years on the bench before he figured it out. But I think instincts also play a part in the read and react defense that we play and right now,I see little from Guyton as far as instinct goes. Mayo has great instincts, but has to take on 300 plus pound lineman first,which makes him look a little slow to react.

Once again, you are right on the money. I also think Mayo is playing out of position. We should have Adalius Thomas at the strong spot, and Mayo as the weak spot. For all of Thomas' weak points, he's pretty strong at coverage. I remember back in 07 when he picked off Rivers and ran it back for a pick six.

If we let Ninkovich have a shot in the base formation, Thomas would be freed to play on the inside more. If Thomas needs a breather, we bring Guyton back in. If Ninkovich needs a breather, we move Thomas back out and Guyton moves back inside. This could give us that extra wrinkle that we've been missing.

Once again, you are right on the money. I also think Mayo is playing out of position. We should have Adalius Thomas at the strong spot, and Mayo as the weak spot. For all of Thomas' weak points, he's pretty strong at coverage. I remember back in 07 when he picked off Rivers and ran it back for a pick six.

If we let Ninkovich have a shot in the base formation, Thomas would be freed to play on the inside more. If Thomas needs a breather, we bring Guyton back in. If Ninkovich needs a breather, we move Thomas back out and Guyton moves back inside. This could give us that extra wrinkle that we've been missing.

I like this plan a lot, even if we let Woods play on running downs and Ninkovich on passing downs. Either way we get a chance to a playmaker on defense in a better chance to make plays.

I like this plan a lot, even if we let Woods play on running downs and Ninkovich on passing downs. Either way we get a chance to a playmaker on defense in a better chance to make plays.

Woah, woah, woah, put down the eggnog. Ninkovich? making plays? I can see some merit to play Thomas inside but Guyton has been pretty good in coverage but any hope of having an excellent defense end if players like Ninkovich are on the field in any defensive formation.

Interesting thoughts about Mayo, although he is a little bigger I keep having visions of Vilma. He was too small to play ILB in a 3-4 but is great in a 4-3.

Woah, woah, woah, put down the eggnog. Ninkovich? making plays? I can see some merit to play Thomas inside but Guyton has been pretty good in coverage but any hope of having an excellent defense end if players like Ninkovich are on the field in any defensive formation.

Interesting thoughts about Mayo, although he is a little bigger I keep having visions of Vilma. He was too small to play ILB in a 3-4 but is great in a 4-3.

Vilma was too small to be a good 3-4 WILB. Mayo is a fabulous WILB, but he's just not optimally suited to be a SILB. As Ochmed says, we're using him out of position, asking him to do things are don't really play to his strengths, and taking him out of position to be a playmaker. I've wanted an SILB next to Mayo since last year. I thought AD was always a good option. Aaron Curry would have made a good (though very pricey) SILB, though not as good as McClain. Eric Norwood would probably be good, if McClain is viewed as too pricey.

Ninkovich was getting some pressure on the Colts when he played. He has some talent. I'm not saying that he's the second coming of Mike Vrabel, but he can contribute. He doesn't have to be a star, but he can be part of a rotation with Burgess and Woods.

Consider this: Burgess isn't that great against the run. From a two point stance, he can protect himself better with his long arms. This could help him turn plays back towards the inside where our linebackers can make plays.

From a two point stance, it could allow us to protect our pass rushers a bit better against large mauling offensive tackles.

Also, from an inside position, Thomas and Mayo can switch their coverage assignments without major shifts in the defense.

Example: Mayo could switch off from the running back to the tight end. Then, Thomas can pick up the running back without changing his position on the field. This could allow them to alternate their assignments and further confuse the offense. With Guyton on the bench, we also have better depth in case one of them gets tired.

Ninkovich was getting some pressure on the Colts when he played. He has some talent. I'm not saying that he's the second coming of Mike Vrabel, but he can contribute. He doesn't have to be a star, but he can be part of a rotation with Burgess and Woods.

Consider this: Burgess isn't that great against the run. From a two point stance, he can protect himself better with his long arms. This could help him turn plays back towards the inside where our linebackers can make plays.

From a two point stance, it could allow us to protect our pass rushers a bit better against large mauling offensive tackles.

Also, from an inside position, Thomas and Mayo can switch their coverage assignments without major shifts in the defense.

Example: Mayo could switch off from the running back to the tight end. Then, Thomas can pick up the running back without changing his position on the field. This could allow them to alternate their assignments and further confuse the offense. With Guyton on the bench, we also have better depth in case one of them gets tired.

Ninkovich, TBC, Woods, Burgess, Thomas, worst set of OLBs in the league. With that baseline anything is an improvement. Woods and Burgess are free agents so at least some fresh blood will be brought in.

Excellent point! This is where we gain the advantage by putting our playmakers in a position to make plays. I love this idea.

Ninkovich, TBC, Woods, Burgess, Thomas, worst set of OLBs in the league. With that baseline anything is an improvement. Woods and Burgess are free agents so at least some fresh blood will be brought in.

We have no one to blame for this but BB. He does not draft and develop young OLB's. Why? I cannot say. But turnover does not always mean fresh blood. More than likely it will mean another retread veteran.
Until BB develops a pipeline of draftees to coach up into eventual starters, we will continue to have problems at this position.

Mayoclinic talks about Lane from Murray State. He is an excellent day two draft candidate to draft and let play ST for a year or two while the position coach "coaches him up" to play OLB in a 3-4 and Woicik gives him an NFL body, strength and flexibility.
Same goes for Sapp and Romeus and about 4 other guys in this draft.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back