PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which one of our sloppy seconds will Denver sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver has it's own free agent problems and cap to deal with. I don't think they pick up anyone we let go.

Denver seems to be in a fine salary cap position for 2015, which has been verified by Miguel a handful of times throughout the past couple of months.

I don't think that they'll be able to spend like there's no tomorrow, which may be your point, but I think their so-called "problems" have been overstated here many times.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Last edited:
if that happens i wonder if welker would come back and back up julian? his ego may be to big.

I think the odds of Bill Belichick wanting Welker back would be between slim and none, based on Wes' comments and Belichick's actions.

Since I am convinced McCourty returns to NE, the only player I would really be crushed if they left is Revis. There are others I'd like (DA) but if they leave, my perception of the Patriots' chances isn't changed.

So, if Denver keeps their hands off Revis : they can have whomever they want.

I'm afraid of losing gost. Denver's kicker sucks. Our pro bowlers are on special teams.

This year Elway is REALLY gonna stick it to us... He's gonna sign the one FA we can't afford to lose...

Danny Aiken!!!

I think that's a long shot. or a side shot, or a low shot...

I'm afraid of losing gost. Denver's kicker sucks. Our pro bowlers are on special teams.
Ghost would be money in the thin air of Denver.

Denver seems to be in a fine salary cap position for 2015, which has been verified by Miguel a handful of times throughout the past couple of months.

I don't think that they'll be able to spend like there's no tomorrow, which may be your point, but I think their so-called "problems" have been overstated here many times.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Denver's problems are enormous. Two starting linebackers are free agents (Johnson and Marshall.) Half of the offensive line are free agents (Thomas, Franklin and Montgomery) and four receivers are either washed up (Welker) or free agents (D. Thomas, J. Thomas and Tamme.) They need a running back, and S Rahim Moore is a free agent who will command top dollar. Pot Roast is out of the oven as well.

New coach coming in, overpaid aging QB with a huge forhead, half the starters are free agents, big cap free agents on the payroll (Talib, TJ Ward, Sanders, Manning, Ware, etc.)

2015 is the year that the rest of the AFC West feasts on the Broncos. Prediction: Broncos go 9-7, miss playoffs and Manning retires.

Chiefs and Chargers will leapfrog Denver in the AFC West. I like where Oakland is heading talent-wise, except they hired Jack Del Rio.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/

I would rather we keep Vereen than Amendola, if I had to choose.

I would rather we keep Vereen than Amendola, if I had to choose.

The Patriots will probably keep both. They're completely different players, and neither breaks the bank.

DEN would be interested in some of our free agents. They aren't old and over-the-hill.
Gostkowski
Vereen
Amendola (of we cut him)
McCourty

Perhaps even Ridley

Denver's problems are enormous. Two starting linebackers are free agents (Johnson and Marshall.) Half of the offensive line are free agents (Thomas, Franklin and Montgomery) and four receivers are either washed up (Welker) or free agents (D. Thomas, J. Thomas and Tamme.) They need a running back, and S Rahim Moore is a free agent who will command top dollar. Pot Roast is out of the oven as well.

New coach coming in, overpaid aging QB with a huge forhead, half the starters are free agents, big cap free agents on the payroll (Talib, TJ Ward, Sanders, Manning, Ware, etc.)

2015 is the year that the rest of the AFC West feasts on the Broncos. Prediction: Broncos go 9-7, miss playoffs and Manning retires.

Chiefs and Chargers will leapfrog Denver in the AFC West. I like where Oakland is heading talent-wise, except they hired Jack Del Rio.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/

First of all, I'm speaking solely on their salary cap situation. They certainly have cap room, and will likely free up even more, as most teams do. They also won't have to worry about Peyton Manning's 20+ salary much longer in the future, which will certainly matter in some of their decisions for now. Miguel has shown some examples where Denver could have 30+ million in cap space.

Second of all, I think you're greatly overstating their so called "problems." The truth of the matter is that they are in the same boat as any other NFL team is in, having to make some decisions on who to keep and who to let go. I'm sure if you go over to their forum, they'd be saying the exact same thing about the Patriots (Vereen, Revis, Ridley, McCourty, Connelly, Gostowski--tough decisions to make with Solder, Mayo, Wilfork, Amendola, etc)

We heard the same exact thing about Baltimore's supposed "record setting number of free agents lost" and their horrible situation for the future after they won the SB, but the truth of the matter was that they are basically the same exact team they were before.

DEN may be a much different team when P.Manning leaves
, but in the meantime their cap problems are being drastically overstated here.

Last edited:
The Patriots will probably keep both. They're completely different players, and neither breaks the bank.

Very interesting that you look at a team with much more cap space than us like Denver, and come to the conclusion that they are in some major cap hell with lots of "problems," but then look at the Patriots and claim that "they'll probably keep both" in regards to Vereen/Amendola.

Very interesting that you look at a team with much more cap space than us like Denver, and come to the conclusion that they are in some major cap hell with lots of "problems," but then look at the Patriots and claim that "they'll probably keep both" in regards to Vereen/Amendola.

I believe Amendola will be extended and restructured to reflect his role as kick returner, short punt returner and as a receiver. His value to the Patriots is clearer as his role evolved this year.

I also think Vereen will get a deal that looks like the Eagles' Darren Sproles - three years, $10.5 million, $5.5 million guaranteed, $3.5 cap hit including performance incentives. That's about what the market is for Vereen. Good money, but not a cap buster like Revis or Mayo.

The Broncos have bigger fish to fry, especially if they bring Manning back. I'd refer you to my earlier post that you replied to. Denver's problems lie with their skill players at TE and WR and on the offensive line. The top of their cap is already clogged by Manning, Ware, Sanders, Talib, TJ Ward, etc. If the Broncos want to make a last run with Manning, the last place they scrimp is at offensive line and receiver, but that's where the high-priced free agents are.

The Patriots are in better shape because they didn't overpay players like Sanders and Ware in particular. Manning is also not one to restructure his deal to give his team funds to sign other guys.

Look, the cap is going up another $10-$11 million to $142 or $143 million.

I think 1) Connolly retires, 2) Ridley is replaced by a rookie, 3) McCourty gets tagged or works out a team-friendly deal (the franchise tag for safeties is cap - friendly at $9.3 million), 4) Mayo is gone or restructured with performance incentives like Wilfork's deal, 5) Solder is under contract at $7.4 million which will probably get extended and restructured, and 6) Gostkowski is re-signed at market value.

The wild card in all of this Revis, of course. At 30-years-old, he's at a crossroads. Biggest contract or chance to cement his legacy while being handsomely paid.

I believe Amendola will be extended and restructured to reflect his role as kick returner, short punt returner and as a receiver. His value to the Patriots is clearer as his role evolved this year.

I also think Vereen will get a deal that looks like the Eagles' Darren Sproles - three years, $10.5 million, $5.5 million guaranteed, $3.5 cap hit including performance incentives. That's about what the market is for Vereen. Good money, but not a cap buster like Revis or Mayo.

The Broncos have bigger fish to fry, especially if they bring Manning back. I'd refer you to my earlier post that you replied to. Denver's problems lie with their skill players at TE and WR and on the offensive line. The top of their cap is already clogged by Manning, Ware, Sanders, Talib, TJ Ward, etc. If the Broncos want to make a last run with Manning, the last place they scrimp is at offensive line and receiver, but that's where the high-priced free agents are.

The Patriots are in better shape because they didn't overpay players like Sanders and Ware in particular. Manning is also not one to restructure his deal to give his team funds to sign other guys.

Look, the cap is going up another $10-$11 million to $142 or $143 million.

I think 1) Connolly retires, 2) Ridley is replaced by a rookie, 3) McCourty gets tagged or works out a team-friendly deal (the franchise tag for safeties is cap - friendly at $9.3 million), 4) Mayo is gone or restructured with performance incentives like Wilfork's deal, 5) Solder is under contract at $7.4 million which will probably get extended and restructured, and 6) Gostkowski is re-signed at market value.

The wild card in all of this Revis, of course. At 30-years-old, he's at a crossroads. Biggest contract or chance to cement his legacy while being handsomely paid.

I think anyone on the Broncos staff/organization realizes that their best shot at winning anything is going to be while Peyton Manning is still there; therefore, they are going to have most or all of his weapons on hand for him again in 2015 (minus Welker, who had already been phased out anyway). They stated today that they are ready to tag D.Thomas next week, if need be.

It's likely one of the reasons Peyton wants to meet up with staff, to make sure things are going to be worth it. Once Manning leaves, we're probably looking at a couple/few down years for DEN at the least, so they really aren't much of a concern to me after the upcoming year.

I think anyone on the Broncos staff/organization realizes that their best shot at winning anything is going to be while Peyton Manning is still there; therefore, they are going to have most or all of his weapons on hand for him again in 2015 (minus Welker, who had already been phased out anyway). They stated today that they are ready to tag D.Thomas next week, if need be.

It's likely one of the reasons Peyton wants to meet up with staff, to make sure things are going to be worth it. Once Manning leaves, we're probably looking at a couple/few down years for DEN at the least, so they really aren't much of a concern to me after the upcoming year.

If the WR Demaryius Thomas is tagged, that will be $12.8 million against the cap, up from $4.7 million in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back