PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which one is the most dominant:Manning of 2004 or Tomlinson of 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Remember Manning and his 49 TD. All the hype around his performance. Then everybody thinked he was unstoppable.

then the game:[edit]
AFC: New England Patriots 20, Indianapolis Colts 3

at Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts

Game time: 4:30 p.m. EST
Game weather: 25 °F (Cloudy, snow)
TV announcers (CBS): Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Referee: Bill Carollo
Game Attendance: 68,756
In a snowstorm, quarterback Tom Brady and the Patriots dismantled the league's highest scoring team by holding them to just 3 points, their lowest point total since their opening game of the 2003 season. Peyton Manning suffered his seventh loss in Foxborough, even though he had more yards passing than Brady did in the game. The Patriots limited Manning to 238 passing yards with 1 interception and no touchdowns, and Edgerrin James to just 39 rushing yards. The Patriots also held possession of the ball for 37:43, including 21:26 in the second half and recording three long scoring drives that each took over 7 minutes off the clock. New England running back Corey Dillon, playing in his first career playoff game after suffering through 7 losing seasons as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, rushed for 144 yards and caught 5 passes for 17 yards.

---According to me, Tomlinson he's less dominant than Manning was but he is better surrounded. I think BB have only answer. I remember that before this game, he challenges his player that he have gameplan to keep the Colts at only 9 points..

The Pats can stop LT. It has happened. LT is great, a great player and a great person. But if you stack the box agaisnt him, give him no daylight, you can stop him. And I would not be surprised to see the Pats shut him down on the ground tomorrow.

However, we are a more balanced team than the Colts of 2004. Our defense is better, and we have many more weapons. If you stack the box, Gates will have the potential to break it wide open. LT is not a shabby receiver, either. Jackson, Parker, McCardle--they all can play. And when the defense is geared to stop LT, they seem to be unable to adjust to Turner when he comes in.

Too many Pats fans seem to think that stopping LT is all it will take. It is a good step, to-be-sure, but it is not the end-all answer.

I do think the Pats are more one-dimensional on offense (the D is very good, though). If we can stop Brady--yes, a tough task--I don't see too many other weapons the Pats can bring against us.

This is going to be a good game. Both teams are good. To be honest, I would rather be facing the Colts first, then the Ravens. The Colts can't stop us, and the Ravens can't score enough against us. But the Pats have ability on both sides of the ball. I think we will win the game, but I am not betting the house, and I am sure it will be exciting to watch.

The Pats can stop LT. It has happened. LT is great, a great player and a great person. But if you stack the box agaisnt him, give him no daylight, you can stop him. And I would not be surprised to see the Pats shut him down on the ground tomorrow.

However, we are a more balanced team than the Colts of 2004. Our defense is better, and we have many more weapons. If you stack the box, Gates will have the potential to break it wide open. LT is not a shabby receiver, either. Jackson, Parker, McCardle--they all can play. And when the defense is geared to stop LT, they seem to be unable to adjust to Turner when he comes in.

Too many Pats fans seem to think that stopping LT is all it will take. It is a good step, to-be-sure, but it is not the end-all answer.

I do think the Pats are more one-dimensional on offense (the D is very good, though). If we can stop Brady--yes, a tough task--I don't see too many other weapons the Pats can bring against us.

This is going to be a good game. Both teams are good. To be honest, I would rather be facing the Colts first, then the Ravens. The Colts can't stop us, and the Ravens can't score enough against us. But the Pats have ability on both sides of the ball. I think we will win the game, but I am not betting the house, and I am sure it will be exciting to watch.

Excellent post. Of course I disagree with the outcome:D I think you can say the same thing about the Pats O too. Not nessecarily because the Pats have monsters like LT and Gates...but thier counterparts on the Pats aren't shabby (LoMo, Dillon, Graham, Watson, Thomas) but the Pats spread the ball around while our recievers don't throw much fear into oppossing teams. The Pats have never really had a #1 reciever so no on knows who to cover. Brady spreads the ball around so well I think in the playoffs no one can "stop" our O. It should be a good game, I'm hoping our big game experience is the difference maker.

Which Manning? 2003-4 or 2004-5?

And do you mean Tomlinson 2006-7?

Excellent post. Of course I disagree with the outcome:D I think you can say the same thing about the Pats O too. Not nessecarily because the Pats have monsters like LT and Gates...but thier counterparts on the Pats aren't shabby (LoMo, Dillon, Graham, Watson, Thomas) but the Pats spread the ball around while our recievers don't throw much fear into oppossing teams. The Pats have never really had a #1 reciever so no on knows who to cover. Brady spreads the ball around so well I think in the playoffs no one can "stop" our O. It should be a good game, I'm hoping our big game experience is the difference maker.

Actually, that is a great point as well. When the Pats are on offense, who do we key on? Brady, for sure, but he can get rid of the ball quickly. After him, who? He spreads the ball around so much the D doesn't know where to key. And that can make for a long, long day.

I know this sounds trite and rather obvious, but I think turnovers will be the difference-maker.

I have to second the kudos for this post; I also have to second the idea that the Pats' weapons, although less well known, must be reckonded with on the SD side of the ball.

Keying on Brady plays right into the Pats' hands; if you concentrate on the pass rush and leave weapons open -- any weapons -- he will find them and use them. And you don't get to stop Dillon and Maroney with token run defense. In fact, unlike many here, I'd actually favor running until/unless it doesn't work, mixed in with the short routes (and maybe an out of the blue heave down the field now and then.)

But that's the part about Brady that's tough to game-plan. The obvious strategy is to key on him. But keying on him just sets you up to get beaten by him, because he turns your overpursuit into an advantage. At this point you can not say that for Rivers, although I think his star is rising very quickly.

Anyway, we will all watch it unfold on Sunday...

PFnV

I have to second the kudos for this post; I also have to second the idea that the Pats' weapons, although less well known, must be reckonded with on the SD side of the ball.

Keying on Brady plays right into the Pats' hands; if you concentrate on the pass rush and leave weapons open -- any weapons -- he will find them and use them. And you don't get to stop Dillon and Maroney with token run defense. In fact, unlike many here, I'd actually favor running until/unless it doesn't work, mixed in with the short routes (and maybe an out of the blue heave down the field now and then.)

But that's the part about Brady that's tough to game-plan. The obvious strategy is to key on him. But keying on him just sets you up to get beaten by him, because he turns your overpursuit into an advantage. At this point you can not say that for Rivers, although I think his star is rising very quickly.

Anyway, we will all watch it unfold on Sunday...

PFnV

(You are right, this is a good post. It is a pleasure to visit another forum and talk football, not just reading alot of smack.)

The Charger's front seven is amongst the best in football. "Keying" on Brady will mean bringing in Merriman, Phillips, Godrey, Cooper. It will not mean abandoning against the run. Williams takes up a huge amount of real estate, Castillo is awesome, and Oshansky is a bear whose strength allows him to eat up blockers.

Brady might hook up long against Kiel or Cromartie, but I really don't see too many long passes. If the Patriots win, I think it is going to be because Brady is able to hit the middle of the field for 8 or 12 or 15 yards each time. Edwards is great against the pass, but if we are bringing in pressure with our linebackers, that could leave too many openings for a savy QB.

Last edited:
LT's performance is much more dominating considering there was no new rules put in place to protect running backs.

Martz,Dungy,Holmgren and others on the rules commitee basicaly enabled Manning to have the season he did. The 5 yard contact rule is one rule that's been in place but was never enforced until the crybabies came along and brought it front and center. Since then teams have had to become more creative to get by this rule and have come leaps and bounds. Had they enforced this rule when Marino was still around he probably would of threw for 60 TD's back in 84-85. And I'm sure Rice and Montana would of benefited as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes