Welcome to PatsFans.com

Which OL would you take at 62?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mayoclinic, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Which OL would you take at 62?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2014.
  1. Travis Swanson, Arkansas

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Weston Richburg, Colorado St.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Joel Bitonio, Nevada

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 25 / -18

No Jersey Selected

I would love to sign Patchan as a UDFA. Don't know if I would use a 7th on him though;
    it might be needed to fill an as-yet unfilled position.
    As State noted, however, OT could become a(nother) need position if Solder & especially
    Vollmer continue to suffer game-missing injuries. Before the draft even happens, Bill must
    either re-sign Svitek or somebody else of quality backup/possible starter status.
  2. BelichicksHoodie

BelichicksHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gabe Jackson and I would turn the card in in about four seconds. The chances of him being there at 62 are virtually zero. But if he were to magically fall to that spot, he's a Patriot. Guy is the absolute definition of a road grader, probably the best run blocking guard in the class.
  3. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

This is the guy I have penciled in at #62 as well. Not the most athletic O lineman in the draft, but a very decent replacement for Svitek, who needs NFL coaching and a year in an NFL S&C program. He is technically sound and plays with a nasty disposition. I love nasty!

At this point I am willing to let Wendall walk. The replacement is drafting Steen of Alabama in the third round. The guy is a beast, who has manhandled the monsters of the SEC for three years and helped open holes for some serious running backs at Alabama. Steen missed most of the last two games that Alabama played and they lost both.
  4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +366 / 0 / -1

If Mehwort can play guard as well as tackle I'd be interested. Not sure I would take a tackle at 62. And I might prefer Bitonio anyway.

I agree that Steen 's future is at center, but I just don't think he's very good. Nothing I've seen remotely suggests "beast", and I wouldn't take him before the 6th round.
  5. varjao

varjao Rookie

Ratings:
    +160 / 29 / -16

#3 Jersey

I thought interesting to dig up this thread and look the spots some of the guys mentioned in this discussion got drafted, Swanson and Jackson slipped to the 3rd round, this was a really interesting draft, sometimes you could almost predict the direction teams were going, like that collective reach for TE's, 6 drafted in rounds 2 and 3.

Looks like we have the winner of all the draft speculation here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 25 / -18

No Jersey Selected

I'm glad that multiple OLmen were taken; it's too bad that none of them have any athletic ability
    whatsoever.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 6 / -0

It's interesting, this draft seems to mark a real change in OL philosophy. The lean but nimble zone blockers are being replaced with hefty power blockers. Come to think of it, Cannon was already a step in that direction.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

A slow step. ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  9. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 25 / -18

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, I thought the Cannon pick at the time was a bit curious. The value was definitely there,
    but at that point (early 5th) I would almost rather have gone with Jason Pinkston if I were drafting
    an OLman at 138.
  10. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

That's one of the stories with the Patriots: the apparent change in philosophy with offensive linemen. That behemoth guard from Florida. It just doesn't compute with past years. I'm disappointed Bitonio was taken so early in the second, as well as the UCLA guard.
    • Agree Agree x 1